Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #31
Jess Hawsen Arown

Got to WATCH the Mayweather fight on Showtime last night. Congratulations to Mayweather for making it look like it was competitive so the people who paid a lot to watch the "fight" would not complain.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2017, 11:36 PM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
Got to WATCH the Mayweather fight on Showtime last night. Congratulations to Mayweather for making it look like it was competitive so the people who paid a lot to watch the "fight" would not complain.
That fight in a nutshell.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #33
n.c

checked Ron Lyle

he was 1 out of 19 childern..no wonder he was tough

Watching that fight, i am 100% sure that i would have dead, every time Foreman punched, or Lyle punched..that would mean that i would have died 1000 times..no way i survive 1 punch

Duran was the sparring partner for Rocky Balboa.
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #34
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.c View Post
he was 1 out of 19 childern..no wonder he was tough

Watching that fight, i am 100% sure that i would have dead, every time Foreman punched, or Lyle punched..that would mean that i would have died 1000 times..no way i survive 1 punch

Duran was the sparring partner for Rocky Balboa.
You're saying it would be just a 2-hit fight:

Lyle/Foreman hits you, and you hit the floor.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #35
RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Rocky Marciano, in case some have forgotten, or never heard of him.
+
Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #36
DSB

I was always partial to Floyd Patterson.

I watched the fight he had with Jimmy Ellis for the championship that was vacant after Ali was stripped of the title, and I felt for sure that he was robbed in that decision.

He had Ellis at his mercy late in the fight and his corner was yelling "knock him out! Knock him out!"

Floyd was sure he had the fight on points, though, and refused to finish his helpless opponent off.

That cost him his third heavyweight championship - he would have been the only fighter in that class to do that at the time - when the judges inexplicably gave the fight to Ellis.

I think what made me like Patterson was far more than his boxing ability. He always seemed like a classy, modest, gentleman out of the ring - an aura lost on most of those in his profession.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #37
betovernetcapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Rocky Marciano, in case some have forgotten, or never heard of him.
I remember & am surprised he wasn't mentioned earlier

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #39
ElKabong

Floyd Patterson, for the gentleman and athlete he was as described above

Joe Frazier for his raw power and guts. He beat Ali when they were both closer to their prime. All 3 fights were great but neither were as good as they were after 1971...imo
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #40
Marshall Bennett

Patterson might have been the greatest fighter ever had he weighed more and hadn't had a glass jaw.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #41
DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Patterson might have been the greatest fighter ever had he weighed more and hadn't had a glass jaw.
Yeah, those were the knocks against him. He had a way of running into right hands which shut out the lights.

It was painful to watch such a good guy get such a raw deal as he did vs. Ellis.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #42
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Ken Norton, mostly because I met him, sat at a bar and had drinks with him, and were one of the few let in to watch him train at the time. My connection was that I saw him enter an apartment of a woman I knew while I was using a BBQ grille in the pool area. His very next fight, that was 1979 he was knocked out in the first round by Earnie Shavers.

He was out in Hemet, California mostly known for it's high amount of retirees at the time when I met him as his handlers wanted him away from the city night life. He was still able to find bars with women and booze out there. I burned the candle at both end those days myself but I wasn't training to fight Earnie Shavers. I would see Norton out till 1 am having cocktails and chasing women, but I would still drive past him the next day doing road work at 7:30 am on the way to school.
That is an awesome story. Ken Norton is my favorite boxer of all time as well. My dad was in the Marine Corps with Kenny as he called him. They met when they attended radio school. My dad said that he was absolutely his best friend when they were in the Corps and that bowled together weekly. My dad has told me a story of him being required to spar against Norton. The reasons were twofold: (1) Norton was going through sparring partners at an alarming rate and (2) my dad had slipped on his PT and was carrying a few pounds too many. He said the session was very brief and he got worked over well. By the way, my dad said that when he was in the Corps he was 5'8 3/4" and at that point had "ballooned" to 165 lbs.

My parents have said that Ken was one of the most genuinely nice people that they have ever met. My dad had always hoped to reconnect with him.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #43
Johnny V

I am kind of partial to the boxers of the 1960's. Emile Griffith, the welterweight and middleweight champion and Muhammad Ali immediately come to mind. Those two were fighting champions, ducking no one and defending the title very often.

Aslo boxers like:
Joey Archer
Carlos Ortiz
Luis Rodgriguez
Wille Pastrano
Zoa Folley
among other well schooled boxers who knew their trade well, fought often and could box a guys ears off. The fact that many of their fights were on TV regularly also made them more known to the public. The contenders fought each other often, not like today when they just avoid each other being afraid to put their so called perfect records on the line.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #44
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
That is an awesome story. Ken Norton is my favorite boxer of all time as well. My dad was in the Marine Corps with Kenny as he called him. They met when they attended radio school. My dad said that he was absolutely his best friend when they were in the Corps and that bowled together weekly. My dad has told me a story of him being required to spar against Norton. The reasons were twofold: (1) Norton was going through sparring partners at an alarming rate and (2) my dad had slipped on his PT and was carrying a few pounds too many. He said the session was very brief and he got worked over well. By the way, my dad said that when he was in the Corps he was 5'8 3/4" and at that point had "ballooned" to 165 lbs.

My parents have said that Ken was one of the most genuinely nice people that they have ever met. My dad had always hoped to reconnect with him.
Your dad was a bad ass if he got in there with Norton especially at his size. When I met Norton I was 6'0" 220 pounds and solid as rock playing college football. I was 18 and had been dabbling in amateur boxing since the age of 14. Norton had hands the size of baseball mitts, he looked like one of those Greek statues. To see him on television did not do the guy justice he was an imposing figure. I felt like a little boy standing next to him. Watching him train with his speed and power you could not pay me enough to get in there with that guy. A half dozen years later I was at Larry Holmes camp watching him train for his fight with Spinks. I was not impressed, Holmes did not scare me one bit, I would have sparred with him for free.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #45
kingfin66
Bombardier

LOL. I think that my dad thought he was a bad ass and found out otherwise. Well, I guess my dad was kind of a bad ass, but Norton worked him. He said it was surprising how fast he was; much faster than my dad, who was actually considered to be very fast in his misspent youth. Norton was a great athlete period. He actually came to the Corps to play football.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: