Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #61
lamboguy

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2013/0...modity-market/
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #62
RaceBookJoe

/GC with another beautiful sell off, DUST flew..got $5 move on it
Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #63
Valuist

Whispers are that the huge selloff a week or two ago was triggered by a very large margin call in Japan.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #64
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Down to $1,293.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #65
Valuist

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldne...e_Plunges.html
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #66
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
/GC trading over $1225 right now, big moves today up and down
Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #67
classhandicapper

I bought a little more this week.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #68
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

ETFs aren't being stripped of gold...they are dumping it because the price is cratering....

Has anyone considered that Gold may have actually been way overpriced? That this whole "end of civilization" thing was way overblown?

Inflation is still in check, relatively, given how much the Fed has pumped into the system. Didn't that give the Gold bugs any sort of pause?

There comes a point where one has to admit they might be wrong.

Do you guys actually think Gold is going to rebound back to where it was and beyond anytime soon? That would be a scenario never seen before, would it not?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #69
sammy the sage

Hey P.A....why don't try to get yore hands on ACTUAL PHYSICAL gold at today's current prices....under$1300...from a legit source...just make a few calls...

That price you're seeing IS PAPER leveraged at 100/1...HHHmmmm
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #70
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
ETFs aren't being stripped of gold...they are dumping it because the price is cratering....

Has anyone considered that Gold may have actually been way overpriced? That this whole "end of civilization" thing was way overblown?

Inflation is still in check, relatively, given how much the Fed has pumped into the system. Didn't that give the Gold bugs any sort of pause?

Do you guys actually think Gold is going to rebound back to where it was and beyond anytime soon? That would be a scenario never seen before, would it not?
actually we have seen one of the biggest bull markets of all time, the United States long bond. its been in a bull since 1982. during that period there were million's of guys that sounded just like you do right now about gold. everyone was saying that the bond run was a sucker market and that those that were in it were going to get cleaned out. i remember the station before CNBC parading guests on all day long explaining why the bond market was going to collapse. the very same thing is going on with gold now.
the gold market has been the easiest thing to trade that i have ever seen. you buy physical, and when you think its had to much and to fast of a run you short the paper. even a dope like me did well in this market. i took the money i made i bought more gold now. i am not looking for the gold market to collapse. i knew that it was going to have a tough time staying up during this presidents second term. a new president gets here in 3 years and will have their chance to wreck the economy some more,
Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #71
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

But just think lambo...if only Romney had been elected...you did say once that if Romney had won, gold would have doubled in price overnight....

Sometimes I think you guys are putting me on...

And I never said gold was going to collapse into something worthless...

So what's the current premium re: physical gold versus the spot price?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #72
classhandicapper

Quote:

Gold in NOT for the feint of heart.

The only way I know to value gold that makes any sense is production costs. If the price far exceeds the production costs, then profits and return on capital at the miners rises. That encourages more exploration and the opening of mines that were perhaps unprofitable at lower levels. Hence the supply rises and the price falls. The same thing happens in reverse.

There are still many mines that are profitable at these levels, but a bunch are not. So they are going to be shut. Some of the weaker miners may go out of business or be consolidated etc... So you could say that at $1900 it was probably too high, but at $1200 we are moving into good value range. That's why I bought it twice in the last 6 weeks or so after not having bought any since it was in the $400 range.

All that will become irrelevant the day the rest of the world figures out that our current banking and monetary system is woefully unsound and must be scrapped and replaced by a sound system. Whether they will figure it out intellectually or when the system actually collapses is anyone's guess, but I'm hoping for the former and keeping gold in case it's the latter.

The reason we have no inflation now is a 2 part answer.

1. The US government cooked the books to lower the reported inflation rate. That had a variety of favorable "political" impacts ranging from government spending (lower cost of living increases) and taxes (bracket creep). It also allows the government to say the economy is growing faster because real GDP
growth is the difference between nominal GDP and inflation. Lie about inflation and "reported" GDP growth rises. lmao So all this is a way to not cut spending or raise taxes in a bill where everyone can hold you accountable. You screw people via the back door of inflation that you are lying about and get to tell them everything is fine.

2. Much of the money that has been printed (several trillion right now) is sitting on deposit at the Fed and hasn't worked it's way out into the system yet where it could cause much higher inflation. That's what all these conversations about "tapering", "reversing" etc.. are about.

How do they unwind all that money printing without crushing the economy with much higher interest rates and if they don't how do they stop the inevitable inlfation?

IMO they petty much CANNOT. So they will probably come up with some other creative but unsound and irresponsible way to delay the inevitable for a few more years.

GDP is a terrible way to measure the health of an economy because:

1. They lie
2. It's hard to measure everything accurately
3. You can create the ILLUSION of a healthy economy with easy money and credit.

Let me give you an example.

About 1 1/2 years ago my father was in critical condition. It was fairly clear he was close to death, but they pumped him full of antibiotics, medications for is heart, blood pressure, water level etc...Even though he was on the verge of dying, his vital signs were normal. They wouldn't have been normal without tons of drugs, but they were normal.

Right now interest rates are artificially low (they are negative in real terms) because the Fed is pumping 1 trillion dollars into the economy annually while the Federal government is spending close to 1 trillion dollars it does not have. Our vital signs are barely normal despite massively more medication than the earth has seen in world history. We are basically in intensive care. So is western Europe and possibly even Japan and others.

We got to this place because the system is unsound. We won't get out of it easily and the system could die just like my father. If you want to bet on an unsound system and incompetent and irresponsible leadership to lead us out of this mess in an orderly fashion, you can. I have a portfolio of stocks also.

I just think a little gold in your portfolio is not such a bad idea even if it leads to some more short term losses.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-29-2013 at 09:41 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #73
lamboguy

Quote:
But just think lambo...if only Romney had been elected...you did say once that if Romney had won, gold would have doubled in price overnight....

Sometimes I think you guys are putting me on...

And I never said gold was going to collapse into something worthless...

So what's the current premium re: physical gold versus the spot price?
i just bought United States $50 gold Buffalo coins for $60 over the spot price of gold. the dealer that i have been buying from only had 70 of them for me. i bought another 30 United States $50 eagles for $50 over spot. the premiums on gold coins in this country never really jumped that much. i heard that in foreign country's they went way up, and in the largest country that buys gold they raised the tariff, India.

as far as Romney went, his plan was different than what got elected. he was never going to let the chineese buy cheap gold like what Obama is doing now.

i don't think its that great for our county to allow cheap gold to be sold on the open due to manipulation. if Romney was president there was no chance that gold would have been less than $3000 right now and probably more.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #74
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:

I posted the following on 4/15/13:

"Plot gold in real terms (inflation-adjusted) from 1913 to today - what do you find? Gold -- over 3 standard deviations from the mean. But hey goldbugs can go with their "gut" feel. I like facts and numbers."

Guess what? Gold's still overvalued using this method, a method I consider far superior to "I feel like gold should be higher because of the Fed." Where is gold fairly valued? $850.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #75
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

[QUOTE=lamboguy]
i don't think its that great for our county to allow cheap gold to be sold on the open due to manipulation. if Romney was president there was no chance that gold would have been less than $3000 right now and probably more.[/QUOTE]

You've said this before. It's nonsense. Romney would have looked to replace BB with someone much more hawkish, not someone like Janet Yellen who is currently being talked about as a replacement.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply