Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #436
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
looking further into the gold trading today, someone walked up to the window and laid down $2 million to short contracts and there was someone ready for him on the other side. that is what i call strength and signals to me that the shorts are going to be in a heap of trouble with their trades and gold is going back up to $1370 for now.
the guy that plunked down the $2mil has been taken to the woodshed for further punishment.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #437
AltonKelsey
Veteran

You keep insisting it was a 2 million dollar trade,

when it was a 2 million ounce trade.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #438
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
You keep insisting it was a 2 million dollar trade,

when it was a 2 million ounce trade.
shame on you, you are not paying attention.

the $2 million was the amount of money sent into the futures market. i don't know the exact margin requirements these days but that is all the guy put up with his own money. he might be upside down now and will probably need to come up with more money to keep his short alive.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #439
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
shame on you, you are not paying attention.

the $2 million was the amount of money sent into the futures market. i don't know the exact margin requirements these days but that is all the guy put up with his own money. he might be upside down now and will probably need to come up with more money to keep his short alive.

if it was a 2 mil ounce trade, that means every 1 dollar move is $2 mill up /down in the trade.

if you think referring to it as a $2 million dollar trade makes any sense at all, you're in deep trouble.

" Shortly after 9:30 a.m. Friday, approximately 2 million ounces of gold were traded, which carries a value of around $2.6 billion. The sudden surge in activity came at a time when volatility in the gold market was at its lowest levels since 2005."

You're also wrong about the 2 million. That's not the margin. Not even close
Old 08-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #440
lamboguy

why would a guy with $2.6 billion in his pocket decide to short gold at 9:00 a.m. ?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #441
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
why would a guy with $2.6 billion in his pocket decide to short gold at 9:00 a.m. ?
I think I'm going to leave it at that, since you're not serious. Wasting my time
Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #442
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Glad you play in the mutuel pools.
https://seekingalpha.com/news/329212...sharply-higher

This is what I was talking about in my response to Lambo, jms.

Note the second paragraph. Reduced demand is going to pressure raw material pricing until the refineries (and chemical plants which are also offline) return to service.

Production in the U.S. has moved onshore compared to the last time a hurricane hit this area. The impact on production is minimal. The impact on refined product is comparatively larger. The crack spread widens in this situation.

This is something that won't last but when Lambo noted that the hurricane wasn't driving oil prices higher, I tried to explain the economic reason that would be so.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #443
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
https://seekingalpha.com/news/329212...sharply-higher

This is what I was talking about in my response to Lambo, jms.

Note the second paragraph. Reduced demand is going to pressure raw material pricing until the refineries (and chemical plants which are also offline) return to service.

Production in the U.S. has moved onshore compared to the last time a hurricane hit this area. The impact on production is minimal. The impact on refined product is comparatively larger. The crack spread widens in this situation.

This is something that won't last but when Lambo noted that the hurricane wasn't driving oil prices higher, I tried to explain the economic reason that would be so.
I took it you were referring to end product which should see and is seeing a spike,
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #444
lamboguy

you guys should take a look at what gold does now after North Korea fired a missile right over Japan a little while ago.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #445
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
R.N. Elliot died a poor man. Elliot Wave with its constant renumbering after the fact is extremely hazardous to your wealth.
Well, to be fair, he developed his theory during the Great Depression - when few were building up wealth, and he retired early due to health reasons.

But yes, the wave counts are often "back fitted" to explain things, which does take away from their predictive power. And when an external news event like North Korea launching a missile over Japan (and towards the U.S.) that lands in the North Pacific, it'll shake up the wave count for sure.

And since that occurred during lock-up, it caught the futures traders off-guard too...
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #446
reckless
Veteran

Stanley Fischer to leave Fed

Not sure where this belongs... but to some of us, good news!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ts-resignation

Quote:
Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer has resigned effective in mid-October, giving President Donald Trump scope to start reshaping the leadership of the U.S. central bank sooner than expected and clouding the longer-term outlook for monetary policy.

Fischer, 73, was appointed to the Fed by President Barack Obama in 2014 to a term as vice chair that would have expired in June 2018. He cited “personal reasons” in a resignation letter Wednesday to Trump for leaving on or around Oct. 13.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #447
lamboguy

Gold gapping down

in the overnight session. down about $16 so far. this may be a real good spot to make a buy if price stays down in the morning.

i was thinking that it could retrace between $1290 and $1320. sometimes it hard to get the bottom, that's why its a decent buy here.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #448
reckless
Veteran

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...-closing-high/

And to think I gave you guys a yuuuggge opportunity to ride this wave to prosperity way before the 2016 Election of our great president, Donald J. Trump.

Some simply do not like money.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #449
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I'll preface this post by pointing out I have a somewhat limited knowledge of the market.

Not at all ashamed to admit that every few years I've shelled out a few hundred dollars for a Motley Fool Stock Advisor subscription.

I've been pleased with their recommendations and service overall. (Imo, money well spent.)

But today I ran into a lifetime first -- and the reason I'm making this post.

One of the companies I bought as a result of a Motley Fool recommendation, Shopify (ticker symbol SHOP) ran aground today.

I pulled up Yahoo Finance this morning and noticed SHOP was down about 6.5% shortly after market open.

I thought this kind of odd because, at least at the time, no news stories had been posted.

About 45 minutes into the trading day I saw a video where Jim Cramer basically said "time to sellify Shopify" because of negative news posted on Twitter by Andrew Left of Cintron Research.

Cramer specifically mentioned the video at the following link:
https://t.co/QBKEIVdpTa

I watched the video... and was both amazed and disgusted by what was being said.

(I highly suggest you watch the video.)

FYI, this was the first time in my life that an analalyst -- ANY analyst -- had said anything THAT negative about ANY of the companies I've owned.

In hindsight I fully realize:

I had been periodically picking up shares based on the story... that of an ecommerce technology company with a solid software platform undergoing significant "growth." (Same thing could be said about AMZN early on.)

Apparently, Shopify's "growth" was never driven by the kind of customer base the run up in share price was based on.

If that turns out to be true, or if there is a high likelihood of that turning out to be true:

The correct thing to do is get out.

And that's exactly what I did.

Note to self:

From now on no new shares based on someone else's recommendation alone (no matter how good that someone's track record.)

I resolve to, at the very least, take 5 minutes out of my day -- and actually LOOK at the company's website.

-jp

Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #450
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Not at all ashamed to admit that every few years I've shelled out a few hundred dollars for a Motley Fool Stock Advisor subscription..
I used to subscribe to them, too. They give solid advice. They recommended Chipotle. Why did I sell it at 45, though!?

I've thought about subscribing again. What I like about them is that it saves me a lot of time having to screen companies. I can cherry pick their recommendations which are usually solid.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply