Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #1
barn32
tmrpots

AMZN Flash Crashed Today

$AMZN flash crashed 3.7% today at 2:50ET-open @ 962.61, low 927.0, close 961.2 How many stop loss orders triggered?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg amzn flash crash.jpg (60.8 KB, 83 views)
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
RobertCalifornia
Journeyman

I saw this on Yahoo. Very suspicious. I wonder what happened.
RobertCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I tried JET.COM...Walmart's answer to Amazon. FREE 2 day shipping, and 15% off at the checkout for your first 3 orders.
That won't last--but a good deal for now 🎰
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I tried JET.COM...Walmart's answer to Amazon. FREE 2 day shipping, and 15% off at the checkout for your first 3 orders.
That won't last--but a good deal for now 🎰
I agree with your analysis...home delivery for groceries and fast foods will be the next big consumer product. I look for Kroger to jump in the game. Amazon grocery delivery is overpriced. The first one to get EBT approval will be the goose that lays the golden egg. By the way....Schwan's already has this approval but a bad business plan. my 2 cents
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCalifornia View Post
I saw this on Yahoo. Very suspicious. I wonder what happened.
$amzn flash crash to $927 after trader,intending to sell 200 shares - put in order to sell 200k shares!
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #6
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
$amzn flash crash to $927 after trader,intending to sell 200 shares - put in order to sell 200k shares!
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, traders can put in any amount of shares they want to buy and/or sell?

When I place a buy order I have to have the total $ amount in my account. And, when I place a sell order I can only sell up to the amount of shares in my account.

Btw, I've never sold short so, I don't know how that works.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 06-10-2017 at 05:01 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
AltonKelsey
Veteran

guess that's might be what happ there, though a few % is not what you call a crash . a short term price dislocation more like it.\

keep in mind the whole nasdaq (tech only) was selling at that time,

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 06-10-2017 at 07:24 PM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
funny how stuff like this seems to happen at the worst possible moment

You'd think people/firms with the means to sell $186,000,000 worth of stock (and the order wouldn't hit the market and cause this flash crash if they didn't have the means) would also have the means to install safeguards AGAINST this kind of "fat-fingered" mistake we see all too often during periods of volatility.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Valuist

98% of companies' stock takes a hit when they buy another big company. Not Amazon. It goes up over $25. Other companies go down when they miss earnings. Not Amazon.

This company has been public for TWENTY YEARS. They haven't been profitable all that long. PE of 185. Yet it continues to grow like a tumor.

People worried about Wal-Mart destroying the mom and pop stores? We've seen the real enemy, and they are in Seattle, not Arkansas.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
98% of companies' stock takes a hit when they buy another big company. Not Amazon. It goes up over $25. Other companies go down when they miss earnings. Not Amazon.

This company has been public for TWENTY YEARS. They haven't been profitable all that long. PE of 185. Yet it continues to grow like a tumor.

People worried about Wal-Mart destroying the mom and pop stores? We've seen the real enemy, and they are in Seattle, not Arkansas.
They are also in a drone near you.

BTW, would anyone order organic arugula or Single Plantation coffee from Amazon? PAAh---LEEESE.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I get an Amazon package about 3 days a week. I just checked. I've placed 112 orders this year. I buy lots of stuff for our business at much better prices too. You would be surprised what you can find too.

My wife had a fender bender in my Tahoe about 6-7 yrs back. I needed a taillight assembly. Dealers and body shops all wanted over 200 bucks. I ordered it on Amazon for $63 bucks. Three screws later it was done.

I just ordered a starter for my Caddy......half the price of the auto parts places. New too.....not rebuilt.

There's an Amazon warehouse being built about 10 miles as the crow goes from my house. I hope I'm in the drone zone

Last edited by JustRalph; 06-16-2017 at 06:03 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post

I know what you mean with your post.

But, their service and product offerings is AMAZING!!
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
reckless
Veteran

Wouldn't it be just wonderful if Trump threatens to put the kabosh on the merger deal with Whole Foods?

Does anyone want to see what a real AMZN flash crash looks like??
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I hear people talk about amazon and rant about no profits, and even though it's an absurdity on the face of it they believe it , like they believe lots of silly things.

First thing I googled up explains a lot of what's going on.

If you think the market is going to get something like this wrong for 20 years, you must be smoking something pungent.

http://a16z.com/2014/09/05/why-amazo...-why-it-works/
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: