Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
Last year they didn't even have the Mid Atlantic Co-op taking their signal.
Interesting.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #62
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Sunday’s ontrack handle was $3,851,594, a decline of 15 percent from the 2009 ontrack handle.
So probably down 5% to 7% adjusting for nine races vs ten last yr.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #63
alhattab

Successful Santa Anita Opening Day

Only the Blood-Horse could possibly come up with that headline
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #64
toussaud

They will find a way to spin the headline regardless of what happens, because they think it's in their best interest to win the media war on this, to spin it as successful. Bloodhorse/drf/tbtimes are going to tote the industry line.

But I assure you, the people who need to care, aren't happy. Rather they admit it or not.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #65
A. Pineda

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Sunday’s ontrack handle was $3,851,594, a decline of 15 percent from the 2009 ontrack handle.
Do you think the decrease might have had something to do with players waiting to get a handle on the new surface, vis-a-vis the par times, since attendance was only down 3%?
A. Pineda is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #66
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pineda
Do you think the decrease might have had something to do with players waiting to get a handle on the new surface, vis-a-vis the par times, since attendance was only down 3%?
you act like it's plaster or something lol, it's freaking dirt.

But, let's say hypothetically say, that that really is the issue.

Why would you raise the takeout, when people are trying to get a handle on your new surface? I would think that's the one time you don't need to raise takeout.

Last edited by toussaud; 12-26-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #67
Rapid Grey
Veteran

Quote:
Probably had the bigger players on the sidelines for a few races. Other factors to include are starting on Sunday instead of Saturday (NFL anyone?), East coast weather, and 9 races instead of 10.

Two races were taken off the turf as well with the handle on the Sir Beaufort barely half what it was last year, and that doesn't even factor in the multi-race wagers.
Rapid Grey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #68
andymays
Veteran

Handle drops significantly in Santa Anita opener Paulick Report

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...eComment_41490
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #69
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Some players waited to see how it played I'm sure but the drop in handle on and off track is stunning. It's hard for me to believe.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #70
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
Only the Blood-Horse could possibly come up with that headline
I thought you were joking. Did Blood-Horse get taken over by Pravda?
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...or-santa-anita

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #71
toussaud

The real telling figure to me, when you tie it all together is attendance for "the most anticipated meet in recent memory" dropped 3%. That goes more along the theory that people, just are pissed off. You can't spin that with east coast poor rather, or the football games, the raiders and the 49ers suck. The lakers did not play today. With no racing since april 10th, and dirt for the first time since april 2007, they had all the makings of a 40k attendance mark, at least. I'm quite sure, that's what they expected.

Last edited by toussaud; 12-26-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #72
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
I thought you were joking. Did Blood-Horse get taken over by Pravda?
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...or-santa-anita
they just took the we are going to not mention anything else and throw some big numbers at them route lol.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #73
anotherCAfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Knight_Sky
...and promises of further reductions when the customers return.
I hope the customers would return!

I want the takeout to be lowered, but I also want to see more people betting CA racing when/if it happens.

I know some people, that have nothing to do with the takeout increase, who are going to be hurting as jobs are cut. It's sad. The leadership, etc., in CA are to blame.
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #74
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherCAfan
I hope the customers would return!

I want the takeout to be lowered, but I also want to see more people betting CA racing when/if it happens.

I know some people, that have nothing to do with the takeout increase, who are going to be hurting as jobs are cut. It's sad. The leadership, etc., in CA are to blame.
Yes, the leadership of California Horse Racing Board, the Track Executives, and the TOC are to blame for sure.

Last edited by andymays; 12-26-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #75
lamboguy

we should all look at the bright side of this, the track had no problem at all holding all the rain that dropped. their handle is not down because of any boycott, its just pretty boring out there, and most people are pretty fed up with the shananagans that go on with administration procedures out there. meanwhile i am told that berube in tampa is jumping for joy so far this year with gains they are making with handles and attendance. tampa maiden special weight purses are $20k and that is for florida breds. the day to day purses are pretty low in tampa, they are selling weather and a great track to train over and improve your horses, along with strong competitive fields that are ususally pretty full. i wonder if the folks in california can copy that plan? by the way, berube don't put up with any crap from anyone, they catch you doing something wrong, you won't get stalls next year. i can't believe all the top outfits in that place that are stabled there. that place is a recipe for success.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: