Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-01-2021, 05:54 AM   #1
Half Smoke

show betting

I took another look at this data from Barry Meadow's latest book - culled from over 800,000 races

the fact that show bettors did so well betting odds on favorites is astonishing to me

they cut into the track takeout by about 10% - losing only about 8% of their dollars wagered

how could that be? you would think with average payouts being so low they would have to win so often to do that - that this wouldn't be possible

and also breakage cuts into their profits so much

to me, it's all very puzzling

Old 02-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
davew

and breakage can sometimes cut heavily into those low pay-offs.

Does Barry have a further breakdown by horses per race or whether the breakage was .10 or .05 / $ ?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
and breakage can sometimes cut heavily into those low pay-offs.

Does Barry have a further breakdown by horses per race or whether the breakage was .10 or .05 / $ ?

sorry, I don't know that
I don't actually own the book "The Skeptical Handicapper"
I got what I posted from Amazon's "look inside" feature which part of their sales effort on the book

Last edited by Half Smoke; 02-01-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

I took another look at this data from Barry Meadow's latest book - culled from over 800,000 races

the fact that show bettors did so well betting odds on favorites is astonishing to me

to me, it's all very puzzling
And rightfully so! Don’t believe everything you read!
You’re far better off in the long run making Dutch Win bets for one major reason.
You can get a much better idea of the return value. This way you can effectively decide to pass or play.
When betting to Show you have no idea what you’re return might be (especially w/favorites)

There’s an old expression that goes “When betting to Show you’re betting with scared money”.
(In other words, you're attempting a psychologically safe bet on a selection you've made that you really don't have much faith in to begin with)
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply