Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #61
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME View Post
PA,

Let's assume you only have a NYRA Rewards/NYRA Bets ADW account.

Let's assume it's the Wed right before the Derby.

CD comes out and says: Special PICK 4 on Derby day but only open to players who have a Twin Spires account.

You handicapped the card and your top plays are in races 6, 8 and 9.

You don't have the time or the energy to open a new ADW, nevermind one that pays .33 basis points for real dollars wagered. https://cms.nyrabets.com/about/points-program

You're telling me you wouldn't complain even for 1 second?

EMD4ME

P.S. That is why I tried to warn people via my thread, so they don't handicap it and realize they will not be able to play it at 3PM on Sat. I wanted them to know from now.
Say what?

It clearly states who will be able to play and where they will be able to play it.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #62
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
The promotion stated that "NYRA Bets members across the country, as well as New York State residents, will have exclusive access to a new Pick 4 on Wood Memorial Day, Saturday, April 8."

I'm for trying anything. This has nothing to do with a negative opinion of NYRA which I don't have. It could have been done by any jurisdiction and I'd say the same thing. Promotion is unusual to say the least. Am looking forward to the pool size.
It's very unusual but it's also creative. Seems like a good way to get people to sign up for NYRA bets and reward NY residents.

Is it the best promo ever? Of course not but it should serve its purpose.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #63
Nitro

Quote:
I'm interested in what the Industry sells and how they sell it along with the end result.
You really have to look into all of this all a lot further, by thinking about what motivated the NYRA to announce this particular promotion. Yes, it was absolutely a way of getting more people involved with the NYRA Bets program. But why? To just increase membership? Probably.

However, the real motivation came when a group of consulting Actuaries to the NYRA got involved. They discovered that NYRA Bet members in general do very poorly (on average) when it comes to playing the typical Pick-4. If true, what could this possibly mean to those who actually win this bet in terms of the resulting payout (No matter what the final pool size is)? Maybe they believe it will produce a relatively higher payout and thus result in attracting even more new members. If all goes as the statistics indicate, this may be the basis for beginning of a series of future similar promotions.

So, it just might be advantageous to get involved if you’re not a NYRA Bets member already!

No, I’m not affiliated with the NYRA.
LOL
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #64
SuperPickle

Quote:
Ok, I'll buy it.

I still can't understand the point of limiting the pool size. Seems to me you'd want as big a pool as possible.
Andy surely you've heard of a little company called Churchill Downs?

CDI has a long-term business strategy to pass on handle dollars and put their competition out of business. You have the war with TVG. They only let other ADW's take their signals who they need something from (I.e. Tracks plus TVG.)

As much as I deplored the idea of depriving bettors of certain pools it isn't any worse than depriving them of all your pools through not giving certain ADWs and tracks your simulcast signals.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 03:56 AM   #65
TucsonGreyhound

[quote
Play the NYRA Bets Pick 4 on Wood Memorial Day - Saturday, April 8th - from anywhere in the United States exclusively on NYRABets.com. The sequence begins in Race 6, with a Post Time of 3:25pm ET. Just look for 'NYRA Bets Pick 4' in the track selection menu.[/quote]

OK I live in Hawaii, are they saying I can bet thru NYRA in Hawaii???
TucsonGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 05:18 AM   #66
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Oh, I beg to differ.

Calling it "intentionally misleading" and then rushing to get clarification from NYRA Bets itself sounds like a crisis to me (especially when anyone who reads the press release knows exactly what they are saying, as I did, without having to call or write anybody)...but you know better, so we'll go with what you think.
Having to sign up for a new adw to bet a horse race isn't a crisis. Hurricane Katrina was a crisis. WW2 was a crisis. There are no need for dramatics PA.
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #67
Nyraguru

Its all the same pick 4 pool . if you use nyrsbetd you can qualify for 15% bonus if you win. But from my experience all of these so called bonuses are capped. So I would read the fine print. Just like the derby props bonuses or the win bet bonuses (if your horse lost you get your money back) all these promotions are limited to certain amounts...
Nyraguru is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #68
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyraguru View Post
Its all the same pick 4 pool . if you use nyrsbetd you can qualify for 15% bonus if you win. But from my experience all of these so called bonuses are capped. So I would read the fine print. Just like the derby props bonuses or the win bet bonuses (if your horse lost you get your money back) all these promotions are limited to certain amounts...
$100 caps.

Although last SAT we had a 10% P3 bonus, I cashed for 1160 or so. They actually gave me the $116.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #69
Andy Asaro

Well, the promo got me to deposit into my NYRA bets account so I will be playing the special P4. Will post picks near post time. Good luck.

Pool size over/under 75K

XpressBet has the wager on their menu. The person at NYRA bets that I spoke to mentioned that it would be in a separate menu but I see that it's part of the normal Aqueduct betting menu. Bigger Pool = Better IMO

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 04-08-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #70
johnhannibalsmith

Even if things like this don't make a ton of sense or even if their inception was conceived more as a trial balloon than as an end-game itself, I find no fault with a jurisdiction/track that has managed to identify trends and the future and is attempting to build that side of the horse racing business. It sure seems like everywhere else that I look, they are either trying to cram a square brick into a round hole by trying to build the business as though it is 1972 or they are just stealing bricks from the racing business to supplement the profitable part of the business. It will never get me to sign up for an account, but I bet that it does get someone else to. That can't be bad for racing in 2017. And anything that isn't bad almost has to be good these days.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #71
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Even if things like this don't make a ton of sense or even if their inception was conceived more as a trial balloon than as an end-game itself, I find no fault with a jurisdiction/track that has managed to identify trends and the future and is attempting to build that side of the horse racing business. It sure seems like everywhere else that I look, they are either trying to cram a square brick into a round hole by trying to build the business as though it is 1972 or they are just stealing bricks from the racing business to supplement the profitable part of the business. It will never get me to sign up for an account, but I bet that it does get someone else to. That can't be bad for racing in 2017. And anything that isn't bad almost has to be good these days.
I'd rather see NYRA TRY AND GROW THE FAN BASE, NOT try and STEAL a portion of the ADW pie.

It's yet another short sighted view and tactic in a dying game

No one can deny what I just said. It's 100% fact.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #72
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME View Post
I'd rather see NYRA TRY AND GROW THE FAN BASE, NOT try and STEAL a portion of the ADW pie.
Are the two mutuelly (yes that was deliberate) exclusive?

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #73
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Well, the promo got me to deposit into my NYRA bets account so I will be playing the special P4. Will post picks near post time. Good luck.

Pool size over/under 75K

XpressBet has the wager on their menu. The person at NYRA bets that I spoke to mentioned that it would be in a separate menu but I see that it's part of the normal Aqueduct betting menu. Bigger Pool = Better IMO
From NYRA Bets via Twitter Direct Message:

Andy - Nothing has changed re: the Pick 4, wagers originating from sources outside NYRA Bets and NY based entities will be refunded. Issue not on our end. Pools haven't linked yet. Monies will be rejected and refunded.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #74
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
Having to sign up for a new adw to bet a horse race isn't a crisis. Hurricane Katrina was a crisis. WW2 was a crisis. There are no need for dramatics PA.
Wow. You are so right. I have no idea what I was thinking. Thank you so much for taking me to school.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #75
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
i am using 4 of them actively these days and have no problem adding and funding more of them if the right deal comes up.
NYRA bets is one of them and i like them
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: