Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Afleet

Presque Isle

Attended the races Sunday and Monday-did crappy betting wise, but not a bad place/racino. Why ins't the Presque Isle Downs Masters a win and your in race for the filly and mare sprint? I thought the field was pretty salty w/Hotshot Anna winning impressively.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Striker

It for sure should be a win and you are in for the BC FM Sprint. Informed Decision, Groupie Doll, Musical Romance, Bar of Gold have all won that BC race while also having raced in the PID Masters the same year.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
BMustang

Presque Isle Downs is a well-kept simulcast horseplayers dream secret.

For years I made an annual trip to Saratoga via Presque Isle, and now simply go to Presque Isle for a couple of weeks. They have the standard race book area, which in fact is not very nice, but the secret is to go to the second floor and play the simulcast races in the restaurant. Because PID runs live late in the afternoon, you literally have the place to yourself, with a plethora of TVs, self-betting machines, and often a live teller.

The waitresses are friendly but not over-bearing, and they have a well rounded menu of snacks and sandwiches, plus bezillion draft beers to choose from.

Hotels in the area are dirt cheap and there are plenty of eateries on the two Erie Pa exits off of Interstate 90. There are also some wonderful Italian restaurants "downtown", about fifteen minutes away.

I highly recommend it. My normal day is an afternoon of simulcast wagering, followed by the PID Daily Double, Pick 3 and early Pick 4, then its off to dinner, if I have not had it at the track.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
letswastemoney

Sometimes the track has a strong closer bias, and I like Presque Isle more on those days. When it's fair to both speed and closers, it's harder of course.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
ldiatone

yes a nice place! food not to bad also. would sit inside were the tellers are. when it first opened i walked down early in the afternoon to "grab" a handful of the poly mix just to feel what it was like weird

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post
Presque Isle Downs is a well-kept simulcast horseplayers dream secret.

For years I made an annual trip to Saratoga via Presque Isle, and now simply go to Presque Isle for a couple of weeks. They have the standard race book area, which in fact is not very nice, but the secret is to go to the second floor and play the simulcast races in the restaurant. Because PID runs live late in the afternoon, you literally have the place to yourself, with a plethora of TVs, self-betting machines, and often a live teller.

The waitresses are friendly but not over-bearing, and they have a well rounded menu of snacks and sandwiches, plus bezillion draft beers to choose from.

Hotels in the area are dirt cheap and there are plenty of eateries on the two Erie Pa exits off of Interstate 90. There are also some wonderful Italian restaurants "downtown", about fifteen minutes away.

I highly recommend it. My normal day is an afternoon of simulcast wagering, followed by the PID Daily Double, Pick 3 and early Pick 4, then its off to dinner, if I have not had it at the track.
thanks; I will do that next time. I went upstairs during the Masters evening card and it was pretty busy and went back downstairs
Old 09-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
jefftune

My home track. I agree with most of the comments above. Yes, the upstairs is nice since they remodeled it. Great beer selection. I haven't played much this meet - when I see all the short fields I just stay away. I miss the Friday racing they had when it opened - always a good crowd with a fun happy hour vibe out on the patio. But being a racino, they don't care much about the horseplayer. Churchill Downs recently bought it so maybe things will change for the better.
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
JohnGalt1

I like to bet their races.

Last year had rolling pick 4's. Isn't that better than Sucker jackpot bets?

Don't like the high take outs on exotic bets.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
GMB@BP

I find the synthetic tracks to be more consistent in the bias department than other tracks. What is nice about the tracks that do have synthetic is for the most part its one long meet and you dont have to deal with figuring out dirt and syn for as much.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
TrackingTVG
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
I like to bet their races.

Last year had rolling pick 4's. Isn't that better than Sucker jackpot bets?

Don't like the high take outs on exotic bets.
How is rolling pick 4s with horrible pool sizes a good thing?

You seldomly get true value from small pools like that if you have longshots in your p4
TrackingTVG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #11
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftune View Post
My home track. I agree with most of the comments above. Yes, the upstairs is nice since they remodeled it. Great beer selection. I haven't played much this meet - when I see all the short fields I just stay away. I miss the Friday racing they had when it opened - always a good crowd with a fun happy hour vibe out on the patio. But being a racino, they don't care much about the horseplayer. Churchill Downs recently bought it so maybe things will change for the better.
They gave t-shirts away Sunday and Monday night of Amis Mesa on the front and the names of past winners on the back. I ended up with 2 shirts and a baseball cap for the two days I was there
Old 09-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
mountainman

After profiling pid's inaugural season for HP magazine, I (literally) never looked back. Meaning that I haven't watched 5 of their races in the last 10 years.

Synthetic racing just doesn't interest me, and , in fact, my oft-stated criticisms of the stuff probably cost me a friend in Michael Dickinson, Tapeta's designer.

I have, however, sometimes wondered if several strong and somewhat off-beat trends I chronicled in that piece have held up over the years.

Amazingly, no front-runner opening more than a length at first call, for instance, held on to win at any sprint distance. My interpretation was that only strong and methodical speeds-the kind that thrive on competition and rarely steal off to loose leads- could win on Tapeta, whereas, quick speeds simply lacked the stamina to win over that synthetic blend.

Something else gradually emerged and sparked an epiphany when I tabulated the impact values and ROI's for various feeder tracks. Shippers from certain small tracks overachieved, while numerous chalks from classier circuits repeatedly ran up the track. The difference was med rules. Horses already racing on Banamine proved lousy bets, but runners not previously administered the medication produced a high ROI.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Mr.XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
After profiling pid's inaugural season for HP magazine, I (literally) never looked back. Meaning that I haven't watched 5 of their races in the last 10 years.

Synthetic racing just doesn't interest me, and , in fact, my oft-stated criticisms of the stuff probably cost me a friend in Michael Dickinson, Tapeta's designer.

I have, however, sometimes wondered if several strong and somewhat off-beat trends I chronicled in that piece have held up over the years.

Amazingly, no front-runner opening more than a length at first call, for instance, held on to win at any sprint distance. My interpretation was that only strong and methodical speeds-the kind that thrive on competition and rarely steal off to loose leads- could win on Tapeta, whereas, quick speeds simply lacked the stamina to win over that synthetic blend.

Something else gradually emerged and sparked an epiphany when I tabulated the impact values and ROI's for various feeder tracks. Shippers from certain small tracks overachieved, while numerous chalks from classier circuits repeatedly ran up the track. The difference was med rules. Horses already racing on Banamine proved lousy bets, but runners not previously administered the medication produced a high ROI.
Sir, the link in your sig doesn't work / has changed, it's now instead(racingnews part deleted):

https://www.moreatmountaineer.com/ra...ns-perspective
Mr.XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

I think Rivelli has had multiple horses there that opened daylight leads and never looked back
Old 08-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #15
FantasticDan
gelding

The 3rd race tonight at Presque.. 20/1 closing well late, has a nice big opening along the rail in deep stretch to close into.

Instead, the jock harshly alters the horse to the outside, losing momentum in the process. By the time the horse recovers, the 1/5 has the lead and the race is over. The is 2nd..

Can someone tell me what the jock was thinking?
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: