Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
BeatTheChalk

Luck : Trevor. Why do we hear bits and pieces of his calls ?

I dont get it all ?? It makes no sense. Usually I am complaining about
brother Denman talking Too much. ! Why would the Suits connected with
the Film .. decide to give him only a few seconds during the races ? And
dont get me started.

The race that was run Sunday nite :: They couldnt even get it together to show fans in the stands !!! Hell there are only a MILLION pieces of Film that show crowds at SA.

And of course there is no technology to blend in the Crowd and make
it all look very nice. So what the heck am I missing here ???? I give
up.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Ocala Mike

Luck : Trevor. Why do we hear bits and pieces of his calls ?

I would think that it's pretty tough to merge shots of a "staged" race in with stock footage, even with today's technology. I enjoyed the "bits and pieces" of Trevor's call and, all in all, I thought the race scene was ok.

Ocala Mike
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
jdhanover

I caught a few min of it last night. Wasn't it a middle of the week type race?

My guess is they are building up to stakes races with crowds etc.
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatTheChalk
I dont get it all ?? It makes no sense. Usually I am complaining about
brother Denman talking Too much. ! Why would the Suits connected with
the Film .. decide to give him only a few seconds during the races ? And
dont get me started.

The race that was run Sunday nite :: They couldnt even get it together to show fans in the stands !!! Hell there are only a MILLION pieces of Film that show crowds at SA.

And of course there is no technology to blend in the Crowd and make
it all look very nice. So what the heck am I missing here ???? I give
up.
CGI will blend in the crowd with the track and make it look believable. It has been done in quite a few baseball movies. Kind of expensive.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
blind squirrel

Well, it's a 1 hour Show,editing is required...i thought Episode 5 was the best Luck,so far.....This might have Dustin Hoffman's best acting in the series.Sleeping outside the stall of the injured horse?....nice scene!
blind squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
BreadandButter

In a previous episode Hoffman stated something along the lines of - geez there can't be x number of people here - during the running of a race.

His character is trying to get slots at the track etc..

If they showed a huge crowd watching the races it wouldn't flow with the story lines.
BreadandButter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
GameTheory

Yeah, why show crowds when there aren't any in real life? As far as Trevor, this is a fictional show, not TVG -- the point is the characters and their responses to what is going on, not just the straight presentation of a fictional race. (Unless something truly weird was going on with the editing -- I didn't see episode 5 yet.) I did think it was funny that they had Trevor calling in episode 4, but in the first episode it was someone else. (Was that anybody recognizable? I can only identify a few announcers.)
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
Yeah, why show crowds when there aren't any in real life? As far as Trevor, this is a fictional show, not TVG -- the point is the characters and their responses to what is going on, not just the straight presentation of a fictional race. (Unless something truly weird was going on with the editing -- I didn't see episode 5 yet.)
this.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The racing scenes in this show are amazingly well shot for the most part...as good or better than any racing movie I've seen...

Except for one thing...damn jocks strangling the horse in order to keep them where they want them to be during the race...I guess it's tough to work around something like this, and for non-hardcore fans it's less than a minor point, but it does take away a bit from what is otherwise excellent racing scenes....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
The racing scenes in this show are amazingly well shot for the most part...as good or better than any racing movie I've seen...

Except for one thing...damn jocks strangling the horse in order to keep them where they want them to be during the race...I guess it's tough to work around something like this, and for non-hardcore fans it's less than a minor point, but it does take away a bit from what is otherwise excellent racing scenes....
I agree. Sharp post. BTW here's a bit of Luck trivia.

The scene you saw where Gary Stevens' character falls and break his collarbone. That was current Emerald Downs jockey Gallyn "booger" Mitchell.

It was take three!! OUCH.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind squirrel
i thought Episode 5 was the best Luck,so far..
I'll second that. It felt like scenes flowed more naturally and the actors were not trying so hard.

I liked the little scene in the bathroom where the jock agent and Escalante are trying to discuss bumping the apprentice jock mount when in walks a stooper and annoys the hell out of the jock agent. That was a good slice of track reality I didn't think the show makers would really understand or put into a scene.

So far, Escalante seems like the most colorful and interesting character to me. I liked the "judge Judy" remark. Cute. They finally lightened up the wheel chair guy with Valium. His attitude is too irritating to take for every episode.

And I agree with PA that the horse race scenes during the running of the races are the best I've seen by far, although a little phony in over extended stretch runs for dramatical effect.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
blind squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light

I liked the little scene in the bathroom where the jock agent and Escalante are trying to discuss bumping the apprentice jock mount when in walks a stooper and annoys the hell out of the jock agent.

Yeah,the "Stooper" was great.I read a review of Luck that said "The Stooper"
was first mentioned by Nelson Algren{The Man With The Golden Arm}as a guy hanging out at a Chicago Race Track..He also said the Stooper looked like the guy
on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV

Last edited by blind squirrel; 02-28-2012 at 01:21 PM.
blind squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
GameTheory

Quote:
That was a good slice of track reality I didn't think the show makers would really understand or put into a scene.
Since the show maker (Milch) is a long-time horseplayer and horse owner I'm sure he's well aware of all the track realities the rest of us are, and then some.

He was also a frat brother of George W. Bush. When this show gets canceled, maybe he'll make *that* show...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
I'll second that. It felt like scenes flowed more naturally and the actors were not trying so hard.

I liked the little scene in the bathroom where the jock agent and Escalante are trying to discuss bumping the apprentice jock mount when in walks a stooper and annoys the hell out of the jock agent. That was a good slice of track reality I didn't think the show makers would really understand or put into a scene.

So far, Escalante seems like the most colorful and interesting character to me. I liked the "judge Judy" remark. Cute. They finally lightened up the wheel chair guy with Valium. His attitude is too irritating to take for every episode.

And I agree with PA that the horse race scenes during the running of the races are the best I've seen by far, although a little phony in over extended stretch runs for dramatical effect.
I also agree. This episode was the best so far...

The kinder, gentler "Ace" Bernstein fits Hoffman a lot better, IMO...and makes for a better character, and a better show.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I thought I was the only one that found that annoying.