Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #5386
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Did someone mention The Lancet study?
I'm gonna bookmark this to read later.

but Margie, whenever anyone posts a link to a NYTimes article here, they are told that the NYTimes is full of lies, and that they don't click on links leading to the NYTimes.

Yet, when somebody "needs" something from the NYTimes, they post links to articles there.

So are you now saying you believe that many of the articles in the NYTimes are valid? I guess you are.......maybe more people here should start reading there, now that you are citing them?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #5387
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
So on that note, what is your opinion on HOW best to protect "the vulnerable" you mention?

Lets say your mom is in a nursing home. Or your mom is in assisted living or at home, and visited each day by an ever-changing procession of CNAs/Nurses.

What do you think would be appropriate?

CIDRAP reports some odd 40,000 covid related deaths in nursing homes in the U.S. Is that an acceptable number?
Not being a smart ass, but the answer is to keep the vulnerable away from the infected and vice-versa.

Surely by now there must be data/info on how the virus made its way into the nursing homes. If protocols haven't been established to avoid the virus being brought in then they should be.

If there is an ever changing procession of CNAs/Nurses doing home, assisted living, and nursing home duty there should be procedures to check personnel before they are allowed to go to work each day. Daily testing if necessary. You do what it takes.

40,000 deaths is not acceptable but 38,562 is OK. We can reduce highway fatalities and injuries by 99% if we decrease the speed limit to 5 mph. Is that OK with you or would you settle for more deaths and a higher speed limit?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #5388
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Not being a smart ass, but the answer is to keep the vulnerable away from the infected and vice-versa.
Not smart ass at all. Perfectly logical.

So now comes the "how", which you started to address:

Quote:
If there is an ever changing procession of CNAs/Nurses doing home, assisted living, and nursing home duty there should be procedures to check personnel before they are allowed to go to work each day. Daily testing if necessary
Testing is not happening. That's factual.

But you said "if necessary". WHEN exactly would actual testing be necessary? (in your opinion).

Quote:
40,000 deaths is not acceptable but 38,562 is OK. We can reduce highway fatalities and injuries by 99% if we decrease the speed limit to 5 mph. Is that OK with you or would you settle for more deaths and a higher speed limit?
I always supported seat belt laws and speed limits that are more reasonable.

But how about we don't pivot and shift, and keep the conversation on what we are talking about, which is nursing home, assisted living situations and covid-19 deaths.

Unless you think it would be "okay" for me to bring up speed limits after your mom just died citing numbers of all the other ways people die.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-04-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #5389
MargieRose

Quote:
I'm gonna bookmark this to read later.

but Margie, whenever anyone posts a link to a NYTimes article here, they are told that the NYTimes is full of lies, and that they don't click on links leading to the NYTimes.

Yet, when somebody "needs" something from the NYTimes, they post links to articles there.

So are you now saying you believe that many of the articles in the NYTimes are valid? I guess you are.......maybe more people here should start reading there, now that you are citing them?
It has been my opinion, and still is, that most of the NYT op-eds and editorials ARE lies. I have no use for most of their OPINION articles of which many have been debunked but are rarely amended. But, that is off topic!

The NYT article that I linked was not an opinion piece; it was factual, as factual as you seemed to think The Lancet report was and maybe still is (I doubt it!)...an investigation, now, will determine that.

The yo-yo scientific pronouncements about this Wuhan virus has left me skeptical about any so-called 'studies' relating to this virus, as it should you, and most especially when it comes to trying to disprove the potential effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine, for obvious reasons. Keep in mind that after the Lancet paper was published, the WHO and other organizations suspended clinical trials of the drug, among others.

Now, here is something else to consider:

Surgisphere: governments and WHO changed Covid-19 policy based on suspect data from tiny US company

Quote:
Surgisphere, whose employees appear to include a sci-fi writer and adult content model, provided database behind Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine hydroxychloroquine studies.
Quote:
The Guardian’s investigation has found:
  • A search of publicly available material suggests several of Surgisphere’s employees have little or no data or scientific background. An employee listed as a science editor appears to be a science fiction author and fantasy artist whose professional profile suggests writing is her fulltime job. Another employee listed as a marketing executive is an adult model and events hostess, who also acts in videos for organizations.
  • The company’s LinkedIn page has fewer than 100 followers and last week listed just six employees. This was changed to three employees as of Wednesday.
  • While Surgisphere claims to run one of the largest and fastest hospital databases in the world, it has almost no online presence. Its Twitter handle has fewer than 170 followers, with no posts between October 2017 and March 2020.
  • Until Monday, the get in touch” link on Surgisphere’s homepage redirected to a WordPress template for a cryptocurrency website, raising questions about how hospitals could easily contact the company to join its database.
  • Desai has been named in three medical malpractice suits, unrelated to the Surgisphere database. In an interview with the Scientist, Desai previously described the allegations as “unfounded”.
  • In 2008, Desai launched a crowdfunding campaign on the website Indiegogo promoting a wearable “next generation human augmentation device that can help you achieve what you never thought was possible”. The device never came to fruition.
  • Desai’s Wikipedia page has been deleted following questions about Surgisphere and his history, first raised in 2010.
I would say that Trump is the LAST person to be considered a COVIDIOT, as a few of your found definitions of the word so laughingly described him to be.

BTW: From the same above article:

Quote:
At a press conference on Wednesday, the WHO announced it would resume its global trial of hydroxychloroquine, after its data safety monitoring committee found there was no increased risk of death for Covid patients taking it.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2020, 12:13 AM   #5390
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
I don't care who takes what. I do find it funny that you are citing earlier studies over a double blind gold standard clinical trial that is more recent though.

That's sort of like saying take Zantac, because it did help with some people w/ reflux, and then the information came out AFTER that while it helps reflux, it's carcinogenic.

So while you're at it lets all take Levamisole, Vioxx, Acutane, Meridia, Seldane, Raptiva, etc. why not if it worked "off label" for you.
There are real people out there, who were on deaths door that once given the drug immediately turned and survived. Why it works on some and not others is for future research.

There is evidence today that your blood type may tell how well you will fight Covid 19, or more importantly, how poorly you will fight it.
If you’re an “A” blood type....put on an extra pair of gloves etc
Old 06-05-2020, 03:36 AM   #5391
MargieRose

CNN...the most trusted name in news!

FNN...Neil Cavuto...YOU owe the president an apology!!

Clicknow...Methinks YOU owe Tucker6 an apology, not the least of which is for the rude remarks about HIS "research," among other things.

MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2020, 04:05 AM   #5392
clicknow

Quote:
The NYT article that I linked was not an opinion piece; it was factual, as factual as you seemed to think The Lancet report was and maybe still is (I doubt it!)...an investigation, now, will determine that.
thanks margie, I said I bookmarked it to read later. And I will.

Quote:
The yo-yo scientific pronouncements about this Wuhan virus has left me skeptical about any so-called 'studies' relating to this virus, as it should you
Actually, something we can agree on. I find myself looking to see who is going to make the $$ and what careers will be elevated. You know, rockstars exist now in every field.

If ever I have to be given something, I realize I may very well be in a coma anyway, so I probably would have little choice in my treatment, were I to become very ill..........

Quote:
I would say that Trump is the LAST person to be considered a COVIDIOT, as a few of your found definitions of the word so laughingly described him to be.
All I did was link to the urban dictionary showing that the word became part of the lexicon in March sometime. I didn't actually read the entries there, so I have no idea if Trump's name was attached to the word.

I am not on the editorial staff, nor do I work for, The Uban Dictionary, Margie.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #5393
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I don't care who takes what. I do find it funny that you are citing earlier studies over a double blind gold standard clinical trial that is more recent though.

That's sort of like saying take Zantac, because it did help with some people w/ reflux, and then the information came out AFTER that while it helps reflux, it's carcinogenic.

So while you're at it lets all take Levamisole, Vioxx, Acutane, Meridia, Seldane, Raptiva, etc. why not if it worked "off label" for you.
Because it is their choice, not yours. None of the rest of your blather in that post means anything.

I know, I know, YOU are the smartest one out there and know better what everyone else should be doing.

To bad we is all ju't too 'tupid to listen to you.
Oh, watta wunderful wurld it wuld be if we did!
Old 06-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #5394
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
There are real people out there, who were on deaths door that once given the drug immediately turned and survived. Why it works on some and not others is for future research.

There is evidence today that your blood type may tell how well you will fight Covid 19, or more importantly, how poorly you will fight it.
How DARE they have lived!
Old 06-11-2020, 01:05 AM   #5395
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Hydroxychloroquine?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/hydrox...reatment-poll/
Old 06-11-2020, 01:58 AM   #5396
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Old article...and FanDan will tell you how flawed that poll is. Don't waste your breath.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:58 AM   #5397
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Because it is their choice, not yours. None of the rest of your blather in that post means anything.

I know, I know, YOU are the smartest one out there and know better what everyone else should be doing.

To bad we is all ju't too 'tupid to listen to you.
Oh, watta wunderful wurld it wuld be if we did!
Hi Tom,

A piece of information I know you are familiar with.......people that receive their education from internet sources only have a 35% chance of being right. I know.....kinda obvious.

incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 03:49 AM   #5398
ElKabong

Quote:
So on that note, what is your opinion on HOW best to protect "the vulnerable" you mention?

Lets say your mom is in a nursing home. Or your mom is in assisted living or at home, and visited each day by an ever-changing procession of CNAs/Nurses.

What do you think would be appropriate?

CIDRAP reports some odd 40,000 covid related deaths in nursing homes in the U.S. Is that an acceptable number?
My wife pulled her dad out of a nursing home in early March when the Wuhan virus made the news here. Placed him in a private care home. Terminal cancer, his final weeks were pleasant and peaceful

Highly recommend that btw, as opposed to nursing homes. Right now the care the elderly get in nursing homes is a joke. We were highly pleased with the care he rec'd at the private care home. Expense was the same as the nursing home, the care was much better... plus, we could visit him at any time
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 03:58 AM   #5399
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

B POS here
I caught it Nov 14, have had some mild relapses. I think this stays with you for a bit. Lately we've been to east Tx looking at older homes to invest in - wanting to buy in poor shape in the future, then resell when the economy rebounds.... Anyways, after going into the older homes that are almost gutted I always get exhausted by the time I get home 2 hrs later. Not sure why, I'm as healthy for my age as you'll find but after that November virus + the 2nd round after Xmas, when I'm exposed to any amount of unhealthy air it really runs me down

When I'm home I lift weights 2x a day, work in my yard and garden for an additional 3 hrs a day. No problem. Walk into an older house, diff story. That never bothered me before
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 06-11-2020 at 04:01 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 04:29 AM   #5400
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Right now the care the elderly get in nursing homes is a joke.
I think the "right now" part isn't accurate. The care has always been substandard, it's just that the right now has exposed that for all to see.

Unfortuntately I do not know what can be done to bring them into line, other than to regulate and inspect better, as any legal means of "forcing improvements" has been removed as an option as of late.