Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #166
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Here is an update on Obamacare. Seems like these insurance companies are going broke. I guess this is what happens when you make a deal with the devil. Obamacare could be going on life support in a couple of years.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ob...rticle/2582507
It does not have that long, count on it.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #167
mostpost

Quote:
Here is an update on Obamacare. Seems like these insurance companies are going broke. I guess this is what happens when you make a deal with the devil. Obamacare could be going on life support in a couple of years.

The author Philip Klein claims that the administration set a low target of 10,000,000 signups so they could look good when they beat it. OPEN SEASON THIS YEAR WAS HALF AS LONG AS IT WAS THE PREVIOUS TWO YEARS. It was from Nov.1 to Jan. 31 compared to Oct. 1 to March 31. That is why the prediction is lower. And they exceeded that by more than 25%.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #168
mostpost

Quote:

Yeah, they are going broke. Since Obamacare went into effect, the price of a share of United Health Care stock has gone up 375%; Healthnet has gone up 224%; Anthem is up 238%; Aetna up 290% and Cigna is up 309%. That was as of a report from January 2015. What do you want to bet that the trend has continued for the last year?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #169
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Yeah, they are going broke. Since Obamacare went into effect, the price of a share of United Health Care stock has gone up 375%; Healthnet has gone up 224%; Anthem is up 238%; Aetna up 290% and Cigna is up 309%. That was as of a report from January 2015. What do you want to bet that the trend has continued for the last year?
They obviously aren't going broke. They are making money on their traditional insurance business lines. But they are losing money on the exchange system.

This system is going away eventually UNLESS taxpayers pick up the tab for the losses either directly through government or through higher premiums. There is no free lunch.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-06-2016 at 09:50 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #170
sammy the sage

Quote:
which TOTALLY proves THE ORIGINAL point of THIS thread....and what many PREDICTED would happen...so I/we told you so....

all we can do is now....
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #171
Clocker

Quote:
Yeah, they are going broke. Since Obamacare went into effect, the price of a share of United Health Care stock has gone up 375%
Quote:
UnitedHealth (UNH), which is weighing an exit from the Obamacare exchanges, reported it lost about $475 million on Obamacare-compliant plans in 2015 and expects to lose more than $500 million this year.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/19/news...lth-obamacare/

Quote:
Bloomberg reports, “Anthem and Aetna are two of the biggest players [in the exchanges]. Like UnitedHealth, neither has had financial success there — Aetna has said it’s losing money, while Anthem is making less than it would like.”
Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #172
hcap

Quote:

Here is an update on Obamacare

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...-still-working
Yet Again, Obamacare Is Still Working

—By Kevin Drum
| Thu Mar. 3, 2016 6:32 PM EST

The latest HHS estimates of the uninsured rate are out, and you'll be unsurprised that they show Obamacare continuing to work pretty well. The chart on the right shows the drop in the uninsured rate since the end of 2013, and everyone has done fairly well. The Hispanic rate of uninsurance has dropped by a quarter; the white rate by half; and the black rate by more than half.

Overall, HHS estimates that 20 million nonelderly adults have gained health insurance since 2013. Women have gained insurance at a bit higher rate than men. HHS estimates that 13.6 percent of men remain uninsured compared to 9.5 percent of women.

hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #173
davew

awesome chart hcap - what does it mean?

I like the following from the comments - it seems apropos

GreenAnura • 19 hours ago

If you believe the government. According to my own shadowstats-like* analysis, the uninsured rate is currently 73%. If you think that's bad, if you include only those who want health insurance, the insured rate has dropped by 93%!

*shadowstats-like analysis takes numbers from multiple sources, such as thin air, and combines them using an algorithm that I pulled out of my ass.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #174
hcap

These are the operative salient points made by "GreenAnura "
Whoever da F**K he is..........
Quote:
*shadowstats-like analysis takes numbers from multiple sources, such as thin air, and combines them using an algorithm that I pulled out of my ass.
However if you want to know where Drum got his info for that chart he tells you in the very first sentence of his article."The latest HHS estimates of the uninsured rate are" out

https://aspe.hhs.gov/pdf-report/heal...-act-2010-2016

But you rather pay attention to "GreenAnura " Whoever da F**K he is.
Just like your idiotic sources on climate change.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #175
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
Here is an update on Obamacare

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...-still-working
Yet Again, Obamacare Is Still Working

—By Kevin Drum
| Thu Mar. 3, 2016 6:32 PM EST

The latest HHS estimates of the uninsured rate are out, and you'll be unsurprised that they show Obamacare continuing to work pretty well. The chart on the right shows the drop in the uninsured rate since the end of 2013, and everyone has done fairly well. The Hispanic rate of uninsurance has dropped by a quarter; the white rate by half; and the black rate by more than half.

Overall, HHS estimates that 20 million nonelderly adults have gained health insurance since 2013. Women have gained insurance at a bit higher rate than men. HHS estimates that 13.6 percent of men remain uninsured compared to 9.5 percent of women.

Gee, I guess so when you expand Medicaid and give away free health care to people. Why doesn't Obama next propose to end homelessness by offering any homeless person a free house bought and completely paid for by the government. Free health care should not count towards the overall numbers.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #176
highnote

I don't know if the post I am making is relevant to this thread, but I'll make it anyway.

So I go online to order contact lenses for one of my children. I try CVS because I sometimes get a discount through my employer.

I fill out the prescription info and then am asked to create an account. I am annoyed because I just want to order the lenses not set up an account for which I'll have to create a password and have them store all my details. But I do it. I click the checkout button and wait... and wait... and wait...

Finally, I get a message that says error processing request. I screw around with it for awhile and notice that the URL changes from cvs.com to fulfillment.csv.com or affiliate.cvs.com or something like that.

So I call them up on the phone. Of course, the number on the website is not the number for the optical department. So I get the number for optical. I call them up and have to be put in a queue to have my question answered.

In the meantime, I go to walmart.com and try to order them.

As I am ordering from walmart the cvs representative answers my call. It sounds like she is from India. I tell her about the error and that I am on the walmart site and can just order from walmart. She says that her company also deals with walmart and that she could help my place my order with either company. I notice that the walmart interface for ordering contact lenses is just like the cvs interface.

She asks me for my phone number. I bark something at her to the effect that this is ridiculous and tell her nevermind. It's not her fault. She's just doing her job.

The problem is that these companies have gotten so big that they don't even know what is going on inside them. Or if they do know, they don't care.

About the only solution for a customer is to go someplace where their business is appreciated, even if it costs a little more.

So I'll just drive to the local pharmacy and order them the old-fashioned way.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 04:00 AM   #177
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
...The problem is that these companies have gotten so big that they don't even know what is going on inside them. Or if they do know, they don't care.

About the only solution for a customer is to go someplace where their business is appreciated, even if it costs a little more.

So I'll just drive to the local pharmacy and order them the old-fashioned way.
These companies care all right. What you describe is quite possibly an intentional side effect to make it more difficult for consumers to collect on their benefits. Benefits which they've bought and paid for, often through their employer. Think of it terms of what happens when you file a life insurance claim. Nine times out of ten there's some sort of "error" with your claim, and it's denied.

This is one of the "side effects" of Obamacare. Since there is no incentive to provide better service, the incentive to maximize profits gets steered back to reducing the number of claims.

Give it another 10 years. You'll be thinking these were the "good old days" - because they are....
Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #178
forced89

The way it should work. I needed glasses in order to pass my eye test at the DMV. I went online (Zenni.com), imput my prescription and picked frames. In about 10 days they arrived via USPS shipped directly from China. Cost was slightly over $10 including S&H.

Now the other extreme. I have been on Pradaxa for over 5 years. I went to renew my prescription at Optum.com. It was denied. Why? I had changed insurance to a Medicare Advantage Plan and they now required my Doctor to certify that I really needed Pradaxa. I think the reason is that it is a "Tier3" (more expensive) drug. If they can discourage me from following through, they save money!!

Last edited by forced89; 03-07-2016 at 08:58 AM.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #179
davew

It seems the co-ops are going broke and the for profits are making all of their insured pay more to cover their 0bamacare losses

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...e=yahoo-2-news
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #180
zico20

This sounds like a broken record, but here we go again. Another article claiming huge losses and threats of companies pulling out of the exchanges unless they get huge premium increases. But then again, all is well and good, according to mostpost.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...-unsustainable