Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Grits

Rome: On air on Classic

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...lt-ruined-race
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Grits

He didn't take the steward's telephone call...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/br...and-we-werent/

Quote:
Rome said one of the stewards tried to call him after the race on Saturday night to explain the decision, but he chose not to take the call or call back because he felt he didn’t need an explanation.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

... a kick in the junk.
That pretty much makes a phone call unnecessary.

Bet the new owners are lining today to get in on this game.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
He didn't take the steward's telephone call...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/br...and-we-werent/
I'm wondering if the stewards called all the owners or just Jim Rome. If just Jim Rome, why? I know Rome has the radio show and was the owner of the favorite (and was bumped by Bayern). Still seems odd unless they called the owner of Moreno, too (who was eliminated by the action at the start).
Old 11-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
I'm wondering if the stewards called all the owners or just Jim Rome. If just Jim Rome, why? I know Rome has the radio show and was the owner of the favorite (and was bumped by Bayern). Still seems odd unless they called the owner of Moreno, too (who was eliminated by the action at the start).
You answered your own question.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

In Rome's interview with Simon Bray that aired on TVG a few days ago, Rome said Baffert called him and insisted that he didn't instruct Victor to carry SB wide. The way Rome told this story, it seemed that it was pretty important to Baffert that Rome didnt' think he (Bob) was behind this mugging.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

anytime , anywhere

On his tv show tonight, he took the high road( thats racing, ive moved on, no hard feelings, etc.) , but he gave the challenge above to Bayern.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
On his tv show tonight, he took the high road( thats racing, ive moved on, no hard feelings, etc.) , but he gave the challenge above to Bayern.
Lets have a match race. Mile and a Quarter on opening day at Santa Anita in December.

(for those of you who hate match races, you know you would watch)
its on!!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
That's why the stewards are full of crap....with the "speculation" speech. I imagine the owners don't want to hear that either. What "speculation"? The main pace competition was taken out. These are the kind of people they hire to officiate racing. They don't even know when the complexion of the biggest race is ruined. Somehow it's not speculation to assume the race was not compromised by that start? Go figure..... The owners are too busy for this kind of moron explanation. Who can blame them?
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

[YT=""]7-S60g5_Q8A[/YT]

Jim Rome talks about the game and his own highs and lows as an owner.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:31 AM   #11
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I'm glad someone finally has a bully pulpit and is credible enough so that people are listening.
The point is that a guy like Rome who has a mic and an audience can point out the problems and use that media to perhaps "put the fear of God" into the Stews in CA.....
Or maybe the Stews will simply ignore Rome because unless the CHRB takes notice, nothing will happen to the Stewards....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #12
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
I'm glad someone finally has a bully pulpit and is credible enough so that people are listening.
The point is that a guy like Rome who has a mic and an audience can point out the problems and use that media to perhaps "put the fear of God" into the Stews in CA.....
Or maybe the Stews will simply ignore Rome because unless the CHRB takes notice, nothing will happen to the Stewards....
I think the overhead shot from the blimp conclusively shows the stewards decision was correct.

It was also extremely consistent with decisions made on similar circumstances at the start of races in Southern California.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
mountainman

What makes Rome credible on racing? And why would he rate some special explanation from the stewards? Nobody likes being ripped, especially on national tv by a hip, acid-tongued celebrity, but major league judges had better develop thicker skins than that.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I think the overhead shot from the blimp conclusively shows the stewards decision was correct.

It was also extremely consistent with decisions made on similar circumstances at the start of races in Southern California.
The blimp view is interesting and seems different, but the word on the street was that SB was 'banged up' after the race, is there another part of the race where SB might have been banged up?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #15
Doza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
The blimp view is interesting and seems different, but the word on the street was that SB was 'banged up' after the race, is there another part of the race where SB might have been banged up?

Just before passing the finish line for the first time Mike Smith was standing up strangling Shared Belief, and he may have clipped heals or was bumped again there. I believe that incident cost him the race more than the gate incident.
Doza is offline   Reply With Quote Reply