Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #16
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Not to defend DJ, but his horses never work fast in the AM. But that's beside the point here because DJ hasn't trained him since the September claim by Repole, with Bruce Levine listed as the claiming trainer. Not sure who officially trained him while BL served his 21 day suspension through mid November.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I think he was claimed by Repole so, as far as i know, Repole still owns the horse, i'm not sure who's training him at the moment.
My fault... didn't read and didn't remember that he was with the Repole's when I wrote that.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
Stillriledup
Veteran

Grening shoutout to the "Bull" a handful of tweets from the top.

https://twitter.com/drfgrening
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #19
nijinski

I know , he came in 2nd last time out .

Want to wish him a safe trip on Wednesday ! TO A RETIREMENT FARM !
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #20
Stillriledup
Veteran

[YT="Be Bullish"]Oio0Zxe_IIA[/YT]
Old 12-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #21
nijinski

Quote:
[YT="Be Bullish"]Oio0Zxe_IIA[/YT]
Thanks for Video , a nice victory and memory .

and now stepping up from 16 to 20 cl . Up for grabs . It's time , he'll

be 10 very shortly .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #22
Stillriledup
Veteran

Thanks N.

If he hits the board, he's a millionaire, amazing achievement.

Most times i just root for my own bets and rarely just root for a horse, but i'll be rooting for the Bull first and foremost to make it home safe, and secondly to race his race and get that million.

Track figures to be sloppy, i actually hope he scratches and waits for another day, dont want to see him racing on a wet track, but hopefully it will all work out ok.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
I know , he came in 2nd last time out .

Want to wish him a safe trip on Wednesday ! TO A RETIREMENT FARM !
He deserves it.
Sooner or later for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
I read once that some of these type of horses have a physically notable problem that looks bad but may or may not be as bad as it looks.
Once they get going, they get run over and over, raking in the cash with the trainer plays "Beat Me Or Buy Me", until it gets claimed and/or it can't continue doing well Sometimes those physical conditions get referred to as a "License To Steal".
- And yes, sometimes they make there money off the horse, and decide to get out while the getting is good. But I still don't like what that does to the horses, their health and futures.

Horses get taken advantage of far worse than some of us working schlubs. They wake money for somebody, then get claimed and need to make money for somebody else, it continues on, until the last group can't make money for anyone any more, and then how is the horse and his physical condition, and where does it go and what does it do?
-The old, "Oh Yeah, well, what have You done for Me?"
I thought this was a great post from the other thread.

It does seem like a ponzi scheme of sorts, where the next trainer is trying to make one more profit off the horse, and on and on - until they can't.

It would be nice if there was some sort of insurance for a horse, so that if he were claimed, and found to be unsound, it would be easier to send him to the farm, rather than continue on that path in an already hard claiming business.

I don't know if it's realistic, but that's what I was trying to say in the other thread.
It's a tough game. Some of these trainers operate in this part of the game more than others, and they become the bad guy to some.
When a beloved horse like the old warrior Be Bullish has been around for years, and earned a lot of money and respect - we do get some media pressure to do right by the horse, - and that is a good thing.

Maybe there are some ideas that we could build into the system to protect both the horses and the trainers in this tough game?

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-10-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #24
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
He deserves it.
Sooner or later for sure.

I thought this was a great post from the other thread.

It does seem like a ponzi scheme of sorts, where the next trainer is trying to make one more profit off the horse, and on and on - until they can't.

It would be nice if there was some sort of insurance for a horse, so that if he were claimed, and found to be unsound, it would be easier to send him to the farm, rather than continue on that path in an already hard claiming business.

I don't know if it's realistic, but that's what I was trying to say in the other thread.
It's a tough game. Some of these trainers operate in this part of the game more than others, and they become the bad guy to some.
When a beloved horse like the old warrior Be Bullish has been around for years, and earned a lot of money and respect - we do get some media pressure to do right by the horse, - and that is a good thing.

Maybe there are some ideas that we could build into the system to protect both the horses and the trainers in this tough game?
If you are running an unsound horse, aren't you the "bad guy"? Or, do you just enter as many as you can and if the track vet lets the horse race, you wash your hands of the entire thing?

you say its a "good thing" that there's pressure to do right by the horse, but why do trainers need pressure to do the right thing?

Jacobson isn't claiming problem horses to turn them out in the field and give them the time they need. Do we pat him on the back for running his barn like an assembly line "next man up" operation? Or would he be more praised for claiming old warrior types and giving them time in the field to freshen up, you know, do the right thing by the horse.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

Don't ask me to play devil's advocate here SRU... This isn't ESPN First Take.

I simply say that if the market is active in a grey area, and the owner/trainers are left with both the choice of whether or not to partake, and then if things go unfortunately -whether or not to take a loss, that maybe we can explore options.

Be Bullish, the old Warrior won today for Bruce Levine and Mike Repole.

The win puts him in the Million Dollar Earner's club.

He was also claimed today for $20K by Drawing Away Stables, and David Jacobson.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #26
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Don't ask me to play devil's advocate here SRU... This isn't ESPN First Take.

I simply say that if the market is active in a grey area, and the owner/trainers are left with both the choice of whether or not to partake, and then if things go unfortunately -whether or not to take a loss, that maybe we can explore options.

Be Bullish, the old Warrior won today for Bruce Levine and Mike Repole.

The win puts him in the Million Dollar Earner's club.

He was also claimed today for $20K by Drawing Away Stables, and David Jacobson.
I dont know much about devils advocacy, all i'm saying is that you seem to think its ok to not do right by the horse as long is its a "sound business decision".

Is that your position?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
I dont know much about devils advocacy, all i'm saying is that you seem to think its ok to not do right by the horse as long is its a "sound business decision".

Is that your position?
No.
Certainly not.

My position is about providing light to the system. I'll have to add more later, daughter is coming home from school.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #28
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
No.
Certainly not.

My position is about providing light to the system. I'll have to add more later, daughter is coming home from school.
Thanks. I'd love to hear more.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #29
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:

Is that your position?
Quote:
Thanks. I'd love to hear more.
That's the main idea.

Seeing and and understanding the way things work. Exploring the possibility that there could be some small improvements that would protect the horses, and change the incentives and risks for Owners/Trainers.

If someone sees something happening to a horse they love, and it doesn't feel right in their gut, - by all means speak up! I'm certainly not discouraging that.

It's 2014, and there's social media, and everyone has a smart phone in hand. This environment can be good for the horse. We saw in football that certain improvements regarding concussions were made. The system was looked at - And small improvements were made to protocol/rules - and Incentives were adjusted.

There's a lot that I don't know. I've never owned a horse, and I've never trained a horse. It's a hard business for both owner, trainer, and horse! I certainly am not saying that it's OK to not do right by the horse. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #30
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
That's the main idea.

Seeing and and understanding the way things work. Exploring the possibility that there could be some small improvements that would protect the horses, and change the incentives and risks for Owners/Trainers.

If someone sees something happening to a horse they love, and it doesn't feel right in their gut, - by all means speak up! I'm certainly not discouraging that.

It's 2014, and there's social media, and everyone has a smart phone in hand. This environment can be good for the horse. We saw in football that certain improvements regarding concussions were made. The system was looked at - And small improvements were made to protocol/rules - and Incentives were adjusted.

There's a lot that I don't know. I've never owned a horse, and I've never trained a horse. It's a hard business for both owner, trainer, and horse! I certainly am not saying that it's OK to not do right by the horse. Thanks.
I agree.

I think the rules need to be changed to protect the animals more. None of this claim them for 50, run them for 10 and ship them to Finger Lakes or Suffolk. Also, tracks need to be aware that when horses break down, its not random "bad steps" there are some horses that need to be looked at harder, like the huge dropdowns and whatnut.

But, nobody is really looking harder, you enter and run and if you break down, well, it was probably a perfectly sound horse who just took a random bad step. That's how the tracks seem to view things.