Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
dukeofperl

TASK (Track Average Speed Kalculator)

The heartbeat of my personal handicapping tools (a work in progress) is knowing the average times (final times and 2nd call times) for each distance at the track(s) in play. Additionally, I need the ability to occasionally generate that data to ensure my system is using as close as up-to-date figures as possible, especially as the seasons shift and the figures begin to move up or down accordingly. The standard 'Equalization charts', freely available, simply aren't good enough IMHO.

Having that in mind, I designed a small program that will batch-parse single-format files in the DRF format (and probably EG and MCP formats -- although not tested) and create reports of the average final times (and as a bonus ... the 2nd call time) per each distance at each track in the files.

My test case was ~80 DRF files resulting in ~44,000 races of which ~10,000 races were uniq (thus eligible to use for averaging) and had been run at dozens of tracks.

I have the command-line version finished and plan on stuffing it in a GUI as part of my toolkit (another work in progress) where the user will be able to select tracks to consider and tracks to skip and so forth. For now it's an all-or-nothing program which is probably overkill (yet fun nonetheless). The user can simply cut and paste the results from the tracks of interest and toss the rest.

I don't have a clue whether this program would be useful to anyone but for those that would like to try it (or use it) I offer it free at this link ...

http://members.cox.net/thewinnerscode/task.html

In a nutshell
=============

1) The program name is TASK.exe (Track Average Speed Kalculator)

2) It is a win32 program

3) After downloading you can place task.exe in any folder and execute the program by typing at the prompt 'task <Enter>' (without the quotes -- which you already knew)

4) In the same folder as task.exe, create a new sub-folder named 'datafiles' (again no quotes)

5) In the datafiles folder place your single-format files (DRF, EG, MCP) ... there is no limit to how many, just keep in mind you should start with a reasonable amount to get the feel of how long it will take to process. My test case mentioned above (80 files) processed in ~10 seconds on my 3-gig core 2 duo with 4 gigs of ram and XP.... but the processing time is not linear as all the heavy lifting is done with data structures and they will increase in size exponentially as the file number grows.

6) Hunt races, Steeplechase races and about distances are not considered.

7) Only Fast tracks ad Firm tracks are considered ... no off-tracks are allowed to pass the fileters.

8) Once everything is in place, execute the program by typing at the prompt 'task <Enter>' (again no quotes).

9) You will see some screen splashes to let you know something is happening.

10) The program creates 3 files, a task_rpt (by date) text file which is just that ... a formatted text file. A csv file for opening in Excel and a RAW file which is a text file showing the raw data of the unique races with the format ... track, race number, date, surface, distance, 2nd call, final call.
this file is intended for those that wish to check the accuracy of any of the averaging. Probably not too many takers on this one.

I have taken care to clean up the known anomalies of the single-file formats but being human I offer a caveat emptor ... there is no way possible for me to check the accuracy of every entry so check (as best as you can) the figures before using them in your program. I believe they are accurate but a 2nd set of eyes never hurts.

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks

River Hip Woman ~ Charlie Musselwhite ~

~My avatar~
dukeofperl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
dartman51

Very cool......THANKS
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Nice of you to share.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
touchofsoul

thanks for sharing
touchofsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
TexasDolly

Thanks for the TASK program. I found it to run very fast and worked without a flaw.
I will be able to incorporate the output
fairly easily and it will be much,much more convenient then my normal method.
So,thanks again.
TD
TexasDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
TexasDolly

I have begun to check the output of the txt file and it appears that the 2nd call times are actually the the 1st call times in most all of the routes . At least by the convention I'm used to. In general route 2nd call times are more like 70-75 . Maybe you intended for them to be roughly the same number ,in which case you used different calls for the routes and the sprints.Bris may have them listed as the 4f and 6f fractions/times in which case the 4f would be appropriate for the sprints and 6f would be appropriate for the routes. Thank you again for the program.
TD

Last edited by TexasDolly; 02-22-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
dartman51

The BRIS file for a 1 mile (8f) race looks like this:

23.5 48.8 114.5 141.5

2f 4f 6f 8f
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
dukeofperl

Good eye TexasDolly ...

Yes I had intended to use half-mile times for the 2nd call so it was probably a poor choice of verbage. The half-mile time is seriously meaningful to my program so that is why it's used.

However, now that you mention it ... would it benefit you (or any of the members) to have the 3/4 time (or whatever is represented by the 2nd call) listed also?

If yes, I will work it into the program and kick the release a notch.

~My avatar~
Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
dukeofperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
The BRIS file for a 1 mile (8f) race looks like this:

23.5 48.8 114.5 141.5

2f 4f 6f 8f
For the 2nd call I used (as seen in BRIS instructions)
=======================================
996-1005 Fraction #2 NUMERIC 999.99 6
The 2nd (of 4) Fractional time in the PP's - Usually the 4f time.
In Sprints: Often referred to as "Second Call" time.
In Routes : Often referred to as "1st Call" time.

with the presumption (I know, never presume) that the 2nd call would always be the 1/2 time and if it did change, it would do so in some predetermined fashion. That apparently is not true and what needs to be done is to shift the field (by + 1) to get the true 2nd call for routes ...

which leaves the question of where is the break point between sprints and routes that is agreeable to everyone?

~My avatar~
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
TexasDolly

Hi Duke, I guess for me the 2f and 4f calls for sprints and the 4f and 6f calls for the routes would be the most help if space etc. permits. In the case where you only read out the 2nd calls I definitely would prefer
4f in sprints and 6f in the routes. In any event thank you again for your work.
TD
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Light
Veteran

dukeofperl

Nice. Does the program check for duplicates? It looks like it does. You wouldn't want to calculate the same race twice.

I would suggest adding another column to show the average DRF variant for each of the grouped races. The user can then adjust the raw times with some idea of how fast or slow those times really are.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
dukeofperl

I posted a new release of the TASK program.

The 2nd call is now shifted to the next BRIS field (6f (or greater depending on distance)) when the distance is > 1759 and for all distances < 1760 the 2nd call remains 4f.

The link is the same ...

http://members.cox.net/thewinnerscode/task.html

Thanks

~My avatar~
Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
dukeofperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
dukeofperl

Nice. Does the program check for duplicates? It looks like it does. You wouldn't want to calculate the same race twice.

I would suggest adding another column to show the average DRF variant for each of the grouped races. The user can then adjust the raw times with some idea of how fast or slow those times really are.
Yes duplicates are filtered so each race is calculated only once.

I'll toss around the idea of adding the DRF variant ...

As usual, all ideas and comments are welcome.

Thanks

~My avatar~
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
TexasDolly

Hi Duke, Just downloaded and ran the new version and at first blush it appears to
have 4f for sprints and 6f for routes. As I begin to use it I will keep eye out for any irregularities. Thanks again for your
program.
TD
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
dukeofperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDolly
Hi Duke, Just downloaded and ran the new version and at first blush it appears to
have 4f for sprints and 6f for routes. As I begin to use it I will keep eye out for any irregularities. Thanks again for your
program.
TD
You're welcome TD ... TASK is a tough one to thoroughly test so I would appreciate comments and/or critique.

Thanks

~My avatar~