Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #31
HalvOnHorseracing

At the highest point in my career, I think we were in the 2% group. But basically all my investments were pointed at what I thought would be big growth companies. I told my money-guy to invest more money in

- gambling companies, like CDI
- big pharma (which controls the drug keeping me alive)
- large 'weed' growers and sellers
- renewable energy

I was a test subject in a world wide study to find a drug that could beat mast cell leukemia. Now that they got their drug approved, it costs $36,000 a month for stay alive pills. Because I was a test subject, and I have good insurance, I get my month of life for $72.

People who start spewing ridiculous things about renewables, are missing the boat. Solar, which at one time was 25-30 cents per kilowatt hour, has been coming down (as predicted) and at this point it is approaching natural gas prices. I know people who are producing more electricity than they use, and because of tax and other incentives, didn't pay much for a roof top system. I predicted that 15 years ago, right before I was appointed Assistant Secretary in the U.S. DOE, a job I turned down because the salary they offered was insulting. The other thing that I believe is close to roll out is what they call small modular nukes. A 25 megawatt unit is built in a factory. The nuclear fuel is sealed (think submarine) and will last about 50 years. The military will never say anything publicly, but do you think they are running Cheyenne Mt. on the existing (and highly susceptible to attack grid power? They're smarter than that. If you can make the grids (there are only 3 in the U.S.) smaller by replacing power in places that are in the boonies with a small nuke, you are much better off. Unlike the big plants that need big water to cool, the smaller nukes don't need that kind of cooling so you can put them anywhere. Modular means if you need more power, you just hook another module and you're ready to go. The modular units can be buried. Tough to get to by enemy fighters. And China can have it's coal burning utilities.

I know. It's too good to believe. But I've seen the prototypes. Trust me. If a guy can spend five years on a nuclear powered ship, and have three kids and not get cancer, we can do it with smaller metropolitan areas and places far away from conventional coal/gas plants. It would make the U.S. far more powerful as a result. There is more research going on than you realize. We're not that far away from turning water into energy by splitting off the hydrogen.

Americans can be more clever and smarter than anyone else because we are free to fail.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #32
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Tax and spend, nothing new.

Au contraire! Just the opposite. I am for limited government, balanced budgets, term limits, controlled borders, the rule of law, and lowest possible taxes. I use to be a republican but they refuse to fight and are just content to bloviate and accomplish nothing. I prefer to categorize myself as a conservative.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #33
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Au contraire! Just the opposite. I am for limited government, balanced budgets, term limits, controlled borders, the rule of law, and lowest possible taxes. I use to be a republican but they refuse to fight and are just content to bloviate and accomplish nothing. I prefer to categorize myself as a conservative.

AndyC
Old 12-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #34
Stevecsd2

From MostPost:

"Those percentages are absolutely meaningless in the real world. The only thing that matters is what you can do with the money you don’t pay in taxes."

No, it's not the only thing that matters. How much the government takes from you is a big deal.

So, if today the government said you have to pay 25% more or your gross income in taxes that would be meaningless?

I can give you a real world example of this. And it is a TENFOLD increase in taxes paid. In Nashville there is a restaurant called Peg Leg Porker BBQ. In a span of 6 years his property taxes went from about $6,800 to over $65,000. He's at the point of closing up his business.

Our current national debt is $29 TRILLION. You big spenders just keep want to spend us into debt forever. The BBB will add another $2.5 TRILLION to that.

Last edited by Stevecsd2; 12-08-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #35
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
From MostPost:

"Those percentages are absolutely meaningless in the real world. The only thing that matters is what you can do with the money you don’t pay in taxes."

No, it's not the only thing that matters. How much the government takes from you is a big deal.

So, if today the government said you have to pay 25% more or your gross income in taxes that would be meaningless?

I can give you a real world example of this. And it is a TENFOLD increase in taxes paid. In Nashville there is a restaurant called Peg Leg Porker BBQ. In a span of 6 years his property taxes went from about $6,800 to over $65,000. He's at the point of closing up his business.

Our current national debt is $29 TRILLION. You big spenders just keep want to spend us into debt forever. The BBB will add another $2.5 TRILLION to that.
I stroked a check today for $6500 in taxes on the property my business owns. $5500 goes to the school district my restaurant sits in and $1k to the county.

Such horse shit………
Old 12-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #36
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I stroked a check today for $6500 in taxes on the property my business owns. $5500 goes to the school district my restaurant sits in and $1k to the county.

Such horse shit………

Is that for real estate or business property like your restaurant equipment, down to the kitchen utensils? In Virginia you pay tax on everything used in your business, I have a small machine shop, and all my customers are out of state, yet I pay taxes on the damn office chair I sit in. Things are depreciated, by them not you. Nothing I have could be sold at close to what they have it valued at. Computers are the worst, I bet mine are on the books for 5x what they are worth or more.

I know you lived in Southern California, but not for how long. That place is a glaring example of taxes and government fees going, up, up and up, and having less, less and less to show for it. I was born there in 1961, and did not escape till I turned 50.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2021, 04:52 AM   #37
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Mainly because it is an opinion piece.

Allan (keeping it real)
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote: