Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #136
Valuist

This song is dedicated to Minneapolis, the new war zone

Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #137
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I enjoy reading your posts MONEY, and I wish all cops were like you and JustRalph...but I must disagree with you on the "cops are people just like everybody else" argument. Unlike everybody else...the cops have been equipped with guns by the state. So...this privilege means, to me at least, that the cops should be held to a much higher standard...as far as "behavior" is concerned.
I enjoy reading your posts.
You are very good at stirring the pot and most posters including me have no idea of how to deal with you.

Cops are held to higher standard and generally meet expectations.

Unlike the Frank Serpico days of the 60s and 70s, today police corruption is rare.
But now corrupt acts by police are repeatedly shown on all sorts of media, even years after the acts occurred making it seem like police corruption and violence are the norm instead of the exception.

The state sanctioned guns are not what separates the cops from everyone else.

In most states, even in tough gun control states like New York, New Jersey and California, citizens are
are easily issued pistol permits in the rural areas.

What separates cops from the rest of us is that cops are given the authority to take away our freedoms.
A cop can stop us to give us a ticket, can detain us for reasonable suspicion and arrest us for probable cause.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #138
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
As a former police officer, MONEY...could you please tell us what that rogue cop might have been thinking as he was choking this poor guy? I mean, the cop's life was in no danger whatsoever...and there were people with visible phone cameras all over the place. How did he hope to explain this? And those onlooking cops standing there as if nothing unusual was going on? Could this be a matter of "poor training"?
He probably used his 'knee hold move' numerous times before and no one died so it passed his sniff test and was proven safe with no bruising visible to the naked eye. He was not concerned about the outcome.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #139
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
I enjoy reading your posts.
You are very good at stirring the pot and most posters including me have no idea of how to deal with you.

Cops are held to higher standard and generally meet expectations.

Unlike the Frank Serpico days of the 60s and 70s, today police corruption is rare.
But now corrupt acts by police are repeatedly shown on all sorts of media, even years after the acts occurred making it seem like police corruption and violence are the norm instead of the exception.

The state sanctioned guns are not what separates the cops from everyone else.

In most states, even in tough gun control states like New York, New Jersey and California, citizens are
are easily issued pistol permits in the rural areas.

What separates cops from the rest of us is that cops are given the authority to take away our freedoms.
A cop can stop us to give us a ticket, can detain us for reasonable suspicion and arrest us for probable cause.
I have a first cousin who is a Chicago cop. I would sometimes talk to him and his partner, back when they were both young and relatively new on the force. They were both as cocky as they could be. I remember once when they both walked into a Baker's Square restaurant while I was there...and still recall the gleam in their eye when they told me that they could arrest any group of 3 or more customers on "conspiracy" charges, without any reason at all...just for "kicks". And, mind you, these were both good guys...who were just bragging about the "authority" that the state had placed into their hands. I could only wonder about what a "bad guy" could do with this sort of state-given authority. Of course, my cop cousin isn't young anymore...and the cockiness of his youth is, thankfully, all gone.

In the old days, the cop stereotype, especially in my city, used to be older corrupt cop on the "take"...who sleep-walked through his day while thinking mainly about his pension. Those corruption days are largely over, I agree with you. But what we have now is a plethora of young muscle-bound "Robo-Cops"...who strut around with even more cockiness than my cousin used to exhibit in his youth. And I now wonder if these new guys today are as nice in their core as my cousin was.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-28-2020 at 02:38 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #140
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
He probably used his 'knee hold move' numerous times before and no one died so it passed his sniff test and was proven safe with no bruising visible to the naked eye. He was not concerned about the outcome.
The problem here is that even if the cop was worried that if took his knee off the guy he was going to resist and fight back (as he may have before the video started rolling), it got to the point where the guy was clearly unconscious for quite awhile. Everyone that was watching was screaming to him that the guy was out cold., yet he still didn't back off. This was as close to first degree murder as you can get even if he gets away with manslaughter.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-28-2020 at 02:29 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #141
delayjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I agree with you, but unfortunately, despite our efforts, bad apples still slip through in every area of life. We see that in corporations, among school teachers, ministries, the priesthood, media etc.. .
Indeed a sad reality.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #142
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
No excuse for looting/stealing/destroying property. This is where my sympathy goes out the window.
Well, that and peacefully taking a knee during the national anthem
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #143
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Well, that and peacefully taking a knee during the national anthem
Are you mad about taking a knee ?
Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #144
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
No excuse for looting/stealing/destroying property. This is where my sympathy goes out the window.
You'd be shocked the number of looters that don't live in Minneapolis. Of those arrested in Ferguson for looting, about half didn't live in the county
Normal people wonder why protesters would loot and set fire to their own neighborhoods, that's the main reason...they don't live there.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #145
newtothegame

Quote:
These businesses, that were looted and set a blaze in some cases should just not reopen! Its simple! I mean its obvious the people who have committed these crimes feel that these companies were somehow responsible for the tragic death.

So these companies should move out! Forget all the tax dollars and benefits these companies bring....to hell with that!!

They should just move out.....

Unfortunately, they won't......
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #146
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
These businesses, that were looted and set a blaze in some cases should just not reopen! Its simple! I mean its obvious the people who have committed these crimes feel that these companies were somehow responsible for the tragic death.

So these companies should move out! Forget all the tax dollars and benefits these companies bring....to hell with that!!

They should just move out.....

Unfortunately, they won't......
Everytime that I see looting and arson committed for whatever reason, my memory goes back to the Blackout of 77 in New York. Most of the businesses that were burned down never came back. But not only that, the properties that the businesses were on were eventually reduced to ruble.

Some of the areas that were devasted by the looting are finally beginning to get rebuilt, 43 years later.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #147
newtothegame

Quote:
Everytime that I see looting and arson committed for whatever reason, my memory goes back to the Blackout of 77 in New York. Most of the businesses that were burned down never came back. But not only that, the properties that the businesses were on were eventually reduced to ruble.

Some of the areas that were devasted by the looting are finally beginning to get rebuilt, 43 years later.
You know the Sad part Money, is that the system will allow these looters to feel justified. Hell, I thought I seen somewhere where the bills for these protesters would be picked up by a few actors and actresses.....

The protesters actually think they are justified in destroying a business. They dont even understand the ramifications of potentially losing that business.
Nevermind the business had NOTHING to do with the death or the police officers who committed the act.

Its absolutely foolishness. And as I said, I hope the businesses do NOT return. Of course we know that won't happen but I can imagine board rooms and the discussions as we sit here and type.....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #148
tamaharbor

I still see that knee-hold move at least twice a week on LivePD.
tamaharbor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 01:15 AM   #149
fast4522

Quote:
I just saw the video.
This was intentional murder by the cop.
I have no idea how that POS hasn't been arrested yet.
I could be very wrong, but I think the cop has 18 years in and is not going anyplace. He will be sent for, right now all of the i's & t's are being addressed. Life on the inside is not going to be very nice for him.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #150
MutuelClerk

Maybe they should have listened to the guy who used to kneel before football games. And was kicked out of the NFL.

When the looting starts the shooting starts should be Trumps campaign slogan.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply