Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

WHy can't Europe produce a real racing form?

WTF is so complicated in actually producing a comprehensive and functional racing form?

21st century here idjits. We not stuck in the 1950's with hardly any fractional times or running positions.
Foolish Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I don't have a problem using what they have. Kinda like it to tell you the truth. You think you can make adjustments on fractions run at non uniform distances on undulating courses and be able to meaningfully compare across tracks, you're a better man than I. God knows how anyone bet horses before they gave you everything....
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

There is zero doubt about that.

GMAFBA their form hasn't changed in 50yrs.

Whatajoke. Right God only knows why they are a half century behind in providing the information.

Last edited by Foolish Pleasure; 12-20-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

I've been to the UK once for racing, and I thought the Time Form was awful. The information was lacking and the layout was horrible, making the reader flip through pages to find the PPs for various horses. Maybe something more user friendly is available, but that's what I was told to buy.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
teddy

They have a real one and send us the sucker one here. Kind of like the ontrack programs that u can barely read.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Pleasure
WTF is so complicated in actually producing a comprehensive and functional racing form?

21st century here idjits. We not stuck in the 1950's with hardly any fractional times or running positions.
Are fractional times particularly useful over there considering the brevity of the race meetings and the unpredictability of the weather?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

IT is pretty tough to answer NO like the Euro lovers want to when that information doesn't exist.

As far as better form not availble to US players-
Sure they have super secret forms only for special people and they have better horses, better racing, name it,
it is better in Europe just ask them. This thing called the internet enables players in the US to buy Euro forms there and not here and guess what?

That unicorn-the comprehensive form for Euro racing- doesn't exist.

The best is when EURO horses compete here and one has to depend on comments for running position and/or running style.

Maybe when the US horses ship to the DWC we should supply the same information and lose all the rest?

Last edited by Foolish Pleasure; 12-20-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
gm10

I agree that sectional times are painfully absent in the PP's, but the narrative of the races is much better, and papers like Racing Post carry a LOT of information that you don't find in DRF.

At the end of the day, you can learn something from both sides if you want to learn.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
I agree that sectional times are painfully absent in the PP's, but the narrative of the races is much better, and papers like Racing Post carry a LOT of information that you don't find in DRF.

At the end of the day, you can learn something from both sides if you want to learn.
The Racing Post is what I bought, not the Time Form. Thanks for mentioning that gm. By narrative, I assume you mean the Racing Post has more articles? If so, I'm sure you're right, but the layout of the data within the paper is awful.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

Exactly because like with the TVG hosts and The Daily Racing Form columnists-
people actually consume these things for the articles and commentary and not for betting purposes.

yep i want someone else's narrative of what happened instead of a replay center and/or actual objective information.

and the earth is flat.

Last edited by Foolish Pleasure; 12-20-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Pleasure
Exactly because like with the TVG hosts and The Daily Racing Form columnists-
people actually consume these things for the articles and commentary and not for betting purposes.

yep i want someone else's narrative of what happened instead of a replay center and/or actual objective information.

and the earth is flat.
The attheraces and racing post sites have race replays (at least for the English tracks) on their websites.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
horses4courses

What's it to you?

I have one question for you, FP.

Why the hell would you even care about Euro racing?

You always complain that you can't bet with UK bookmakers, a gripe that I share.

Seems to me that you should divert your energy elsewhere.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
The Racing Post is what I bought, not the Time Form. Thanks for mentioning that gm. By narrative, I assume you mean the Racing Post has more articles? If so, I'm sure you're right, but the layout of the data within the paper is awful.
Haha yes that's true. I'm used to looking at PP's the American way, in neat tables. Racing Post takes a few months getting used to in that regard.

With narrative I meant the way they describe the race and the overall performance of the horse in the PP's. They don't exploit the power of speed figures as well as Americans do but the flip side is that the attention to different handicapping approaches is more evenly distributed.

The one thing I love about British racing is how it forces you to have a deep understanding of the sport. Comparing speed figures is never, ever enough if you are handicapping a British race. You have to be able to think what the trainer is thinking, know the configuration of the track, understand the Official Handicapper's role and where he makes mistakes, the large effect of the going and (sometimes) the draw, etc etc.

Last edited by gm10; 12-20-2010 at 07:02 PM.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Haha yes that's true. I'm used to looking at PP's the American way, in neat tables. Racing Post takes a few months getting used to in that regard.

With narrative I meant the way they describe the race and the overall performance of the horse in the PP's. They don't exploit the power of speed figures as well as Americans do but the flip side is that the attention to different handicapping approaches is more evenly distributed.

The one thing I love about British racing is how it forces you to have a deep understanding of the sport. Comparing speed figures is never, ever enough if you are handicapping a British race. You have to be able to think what the trainer is thinking, know the configuration of the track, understand the Official Handicapper's role and where he makes mistakes, the large effect of the going and (sometimes) the draw, etc etc.
There are more variables and the information isn't as robust. So for a full-time player, isn't it easier to make money in the UK than in the states? Note I said for a full-time player, not a novice.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
horses4courses

Quote:

Agreed.
I grew up on UK and Irish racing.
Like it just as much as the US equivalent.
I especially miss NH racing at this time of year, but home is in California.

Btw, nice to see a jockey (Tony McCoy) winning the top sports personality award in the UK the other night. First time ever for the sport, if I'm not mistaken. Not many countries would give such a prestigious award to someone from the sport of horse racing.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: