Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #61
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by highernote View Post
Hey Coach, what sport do you coach?
Going on my 25th year coaching HS basketball.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 12:25 AM   #62
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
I knew Stacey because we had played together in the summers of '88 and 89' at Brookwood apartment complex in Moore, OK.
About three miles from my house!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 AM   #63
mountainman

Quote:
Going on my 25th year coaching HS basketball.
Sweet...played some outdoor summer ball with brad and mickey davis, more with Terry Francona...can still draw a crowd shooting free throws at historic Kennywood Park near Pittsburgh..

Last edited by mountainman; 05-29-2020 at 12:57 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #64
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
About three miles from my house!
Some great memories on that outdoor court. Players came from all over the city to play there. If you lost, your only hope was that someone on the winning team had to leave because you would be waiting for what seemed like an eternity. Lots of OU football players, all of the basketball players playing at OU at the time. Good times.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #65
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Sweet...played some outdoor summer ball with brad and mickey davis, more with Terry Francona...can still draw a crowd shooting free throws at historic Kennywood Park near Pittsburgh..
Brad Davis...did he do radio for the Dallas Mavericks? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, I liked him a lot.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #66
PressThePace

Quote:
Francona seems like an awesome dude. I coached a kid that roomed with his son, Nick, while they played in the Cape Cod League.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #67
mountainman

Quote:
Brad Davis...did he do radio for the Dallas Mavericks? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, I liked him a lot.
Before that , Brad played point for the Mavs. Both he and his older brother Mickey, a journeyman cog with Milwaukee when Jabbar was there, went to Monaca Hs in the greater Pgh area. Brad achieved much greater success in the pros, but Mickey (6'7 and extremely versatile) had become a legend in these parts by the time he entered college.

My sister lived several blocks from the courts those guys played on in the summer. When buzz got out that Mickey was coming, some ELITE ballers would roll in- lots of division 1 types, and even an ABA player, or two.

Back then, I thought I could hoop with ANYbody. But those guys taught me otherwise. As a 6'2 white boy who could barely touch the rim, I had to shoot perfect from the field just to hold a spot in those games.

I met Francona at the Center Twp sports complex during his senior year at New Brighton HS. I was shooting around one afternoon and he joined in while awaiting a baseball game. He homered three times. Super nice guy. We called him Tito, after his dad.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-29-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #68
PressThePace

Quote:
Before that , Brad played point for the Mavs. Both he and his older brother Mickey, a journeyman cog with Milwaukee when Jabbar was there, went to Monaca Hs in the greater Pgh area. Brad achieved much greater success in the pros, but Mickey (6'7 and extremely versatile) had become a legend in these parts by the time he entered college.

My sister lived several blocks from the courts those guys played on in the summer. When buzz got out that Mickey was coming, some ELITE ballers would roll in- lots of division 1 types, and even an ABA player, or two.

Back then, I thought I could hoop with ANYbody. But those guys taught me otherwise. As a 6'2 white boy who could barely touch the rim, I had to shoot perfect from the field just to hold a spot in those games.

I met Francona at the Center Twp sports complex during his senior year at New Brighton HS. I was shooting around one afternoon and he joined in while awaiting a baseball game. He homered three times. Super nice guy. We called him Tito, after his dad.
Good stuff!!

I can relate to you. My calling card was shooting. I'm a bit taller at 6'4". I played at a very average NAIA school. Still couldn't guard the better athletes in our conference. One day our coach gathered us all at center court and proclaimed, "we won't get better until we got fewer". It was a blow. I loved basketball more than anything. I came in his office the next day and told him that I would check it in if he would let me work as a student assistant. He told me that I had maxed out my potential and that I was welcome to stay and coach. Turned into a GA position 2 years later, where I obtained my Masters Degree. T

The plan was to network until I caught a break in the college coaching ranks. At those levels, you live at the poverty line until you finally make it. My wife got pregnant and that was the end of that dream. I had to make a living for a family. It has all worked out, though. Coaching HS is tough, especially early on. Overzealous parents can test even the most patient person. But, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #69
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Brad Davis was my first real basketball idol when he starred for the Terps and had a LONG career with the Mavericks. His number is retired by Dallas. He was a fabulous passer and a big part of the reason basketball became my favorite sport.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #70
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by highernote View Post
Hey Coach, what sport do you coach?
Old 05-30-2020, 02:21 AM   #71
mountainman

Quote:
Good stuff!!

I can relate to you. My calling card was shooting. I'm a bit taller at 6'4". I played at a very average NAIA school. Still couldn't guard the better athletes in our conference. One day our coach gathered us all at center court and proclaimed, "we won't get better until we got fewer". It was a blow. I loved basketball more than anything. I came in his office the next day and told him that I would check it in if he would let me work as a student assistant. He told me that I had maxed out my potential and that I was welcome to stay and coach. Turned into a GA position 2 years later, where I obtained my Masters Degree. T

The plan was to network until I caught a break in the college coaching ranks. At those levels, you live at the poverty line until you finally make it. My wife got pregnant and that was the end of that dream. I had to make a living for a family. It has all worked out, though. Coaching HS is tough, especially early on. Overzealous parents can test even the most patient person. But, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
You do what you love, and I would bet money you're very good at it. That combo can make life gratifying and sweet.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-30-2020 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:01 AM   #72
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Brad Davis was my first real basketball idol when he starred for the Terps and had a LONG career with the Mavericks. His number is retired by Dallas. He was a fabulous passer and a big part of the reason basketball became my favorite sport.
Don't get me wrong. Brad was born to ball. But having played in pickup games with him WAY back in the day, I'd be lying to say his TOWERING success didn't surprise me.

Looking back, all the ingredients were there in proportion. And he had a singular way of focusing, but still having fun. Brad was a t-bred showing 12 straight wins, none at favored odds, or by more than one-length.

But I think HE knew he had the competition outclassed. Elite athletes from Beaver County are like that. Their steady ascension is almost eerie in its manner and preordainment. And I've played all three sports with sooooo many future pros (and legends) from that hotbed. There is no area quite like it. So, to me, Brad's jersey at any level always said "Monaca" on it. He was the quintessential product of his environment. And it was a long way from TX.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-30-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:53 AM   #73
jay68802

I grew up getting my ass kicked by a girl. She lived right out my back door. We would play ball in our driveways, or in the front yard. As a boy, it pissed me off. She hit a home run off me when I was pitching. That was OK, cause I returned the favor 2 innings later. Taught me alot about life, at a early age.

http://huskers.com/sports/womens-bas...cy-imming/3944
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply