Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
creatureman

Front bandage question

What do you guys do iff you have picked a good horse and he's going off at acceptable odds, but the catch is today he is in front bandages for the 1st time/ Do u bet or see one first???? thanx
Old 03-22-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

There are a few schools of thought on this, one of which was brought to my attention not long ago.

Sure the horse can be injured, or in need of the bandages BUT what type of race is it?

Claiming? Hmmm, maybe the trainer is trying to deter some claims. Makes sense, right? I never considered that approach before but now need to factor it in. Furthermore, a lot of texts have indicated that fronts are often overrated...

What I need to do is a study, what horses are entering the track with first time bandages, their results and of course, their connections. But that requires absolute 100% free time...something I don't have.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
JackS

If it's for cheap horses in cheap races, I'd pay little attention to front bandages. After all, there is somthing wrong with all of these horses to begin with. It least you can see the FB's and have comfort in knowing that the trainer is trying to do something about it. Front bandages on MSW and ALW should be taken seriously and probably not bet.
JackS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
hracingplyr

fronts

thats when its a good time to have some solid trainer stats there are trainers out there that excel with first time bandages, last summer ronnie werner was batting 62% wins first time bandages
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
kenwoodallpromos

If the horse is not VET scratched, it can win! If it really has bad legs, you will see gaps in races and/or works that break the individual horse's regulr patterns.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
jotb

Front Bandages are used mainly for support.
jotb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
BetHorses!

I stay away from fronts on wet tracks
water + bandages= heavy feet
Old 03-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
rcj

Front Bandage Question

A retired trainer I know from Portland Meadows confided that he often used front bandages for no reason except to make it appear something might be wrong with the horse.
rcj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #9
Milleruszk

Fronts

The trainer stats in Thorograph contain information on front bandages. Some trainers have a good record with first time bandages and some have an even better record at first time removal of front bandages.

Tom
Milleruszk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
JackS

I've considered the fact that a trainer might add front bandages to a cheap horse in an effort keep some price on the odds board, but I don't beleive good horses will ever get bandages until they need them. To add bandages to a high priced claimer,alw or stks horse would immediatly knock several thousand dollars off any possible future sale. The trainer could try to explain to a potential buyer his devious tactic but in the end would come off sounding like a used car salesman.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:30 PM   #11
kenwoodallpromos

Thoroughbred Owners of California website

Online quote from TOC website- "Thoroughbred Owner's Handbook" Chapter: THE GAME

Maintaining a horse´s value is a delicate balancing act in which the decision-makers in the horse´s life must juggle ability versus potential competition. Racing´s internal mystique is keyed by this delicate decision.

The "act" might consist of something so simple (and subtle) as placing elaborate bandages on the forelegs of a perfectly sound horse about to run in a claiming race priced lower than its true class...but occasionally, a canny veteran might try a more elaborate "secrecy coup."
Old 03-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally posted by JackS
I've considered the fact that a trainer might add front bandages to a cheap horse in an effort keep some price on the odds board, but I don't beleive good horses will ever get bandages until they need them. To add bandages to a high priced claimer,alw or stks horse would immediatly knock several thousand dollars off any possible future sale. The trainer could try to explain to a potential buyer his devious tactic but in the end would come off sounding like a used car salesman.
Generally speaking, not every situation, the trainer gives a rat's behind about the odds. The trainer is not trying to fool the wagering public. The trainer is worried more about keeping or losing a horse through the claim box to another trainer.

If it is a high end claimer or stakes quality horse the sales price will be determined through vetting or bloodstock agents if for breeding. The wearing of front wraps during a race is insignificant as to the value of a high class horse.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 03-23-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2004, 04:01 PM   #13
JackS

I was speaking generally. There will always be underlying and various situations in all aspects of horse racing. We will never know exactly what is going on .Therefore, right or wrong, assumptions will always have to be made.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:56 PM   #14
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

JackS:

Framing this politely you made two separate specific conclusions regarding fronts on non-claiming horses and high-end claimers. First, you stated, stay away from MSW and Allowance runners with fronts and secondly, you stated adding fronts to high-end claimers or stake quality types would lower the future residual value of the horse. These specific statements were made in response to a question about wagering on horses wearing fronts for the first time. Your conclusions make sense if your assumptions are correct regarding how residual value is determined.

I responded, because I believed your assumption regarding residual value determination is not based on commonly accepted bargaining practice for the sale of a horse and Creatureman should have the benefit of knowing how a horse’s residual value is determined, before he dismisses a high-end claimer or stakes quality horse due to first time fronts.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2004, 05:04 PM   #15
schweitz

Creatureman,

I pay no attention to them at all unless trainer stats tell me otherwise.
schweitz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply