Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-18-2023, 02:52 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Statins: cause heart problems?

https://cardiacos.net/wp-content/upl...mechanisms.pdf

It’s a tough read but getting some attention online……….

Could be a game changer?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 05:12 AM   #2
davew

so doctors prescribe statins for 'high' cholesterol and it causes heart problems?

wow, then the doctors can prescribe some other drugs ....
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 05:55 AM   #3
lamboguy

i'd say stay away from as many drugs as you can especially the older you get.

my example, i had a glass of wine over the weekend, the first time i have had a drink of any alcohol in a few years, i felt the alcohol run down my body into my big toe and it got inflamed. i didn't even drink the whole drink.. the same thing happened to me after i ate some grapes a few months ago. so i surmise that it's probably something in the grapes that does this to me. it probably won't happen to everyone though, everyone's body is different. meaning some people might be able to hold statins and others not. one thing for sure, if something causes you inflammation in your body, you want to stay 100 miles aways from it, whether food or drugs.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 09:01 AM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i'd say stay away from as many drugs as you can especially the older you get.
Wise.....Drugs are TESTED, initially, in young healthy people without ANY OTHER meds in their system.

Once a 2nd 3rd or med enter the system, THEIR COMBINED EFFECT is TOTALLY UNKNOWN

Great example was Phen Fen...ALone neither caused trouble. Together they accounted for pulmonary hypertension.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9612/20/fen.phen4/index.html
Old 12-18-2023, 09:11 AM   #5
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
https://cardiacos.net/wp-content/upl...mechanisms.pdf

It’s a tough read but getting some attention online……….

Could be a game changer?
4 years ago, I was having chest and jaw pain that I thought was from TMJ and an old sternum injury. I had an MRI to look at a spot on my lung which turned out to be scar tissue, but incidental findings said I either had stents or my coronary arteries were calcified. It was a big oh shit moment even though lung cancer was ruled out. Cardiologist said "hard plaque won't kill you, it's the soft plaque that kills you. A high enough dose of a statin will pull the soft plaque out of your arteries." I've been on Lipitor for 4 years but have also been taking CoQ10 twice a day. I have to say, after 4 months of taking the statin, my chest pain and jaw pain stopped. I haven't had muscle aches like many people have with statins, I attribute it to taking CoQ10. My LDL and total cholesterol dropped but my triglycerides didn't move much.

This past summer, I drastically cut my carbohydrates. The weight just fell off me, dropped almost 30 lbs. I went off my blood pressure medicine and my BP is now the best it's ever been. A few weeks ago I had blood work and my triglycerides dropped from 224 to 86, from diet alone. A friend had done the same and cut TG in half.

I think statins have a place but diet is most important. I shoot for < 100g carbs/day. A friend who is a doctor told me years ago that "white bread is your worst enemy." I think he is right.

Also, my arthritis/joint pain is pretty much all gone but I also take OTC supplements, tart cherry extract, quercetin and bromelain. My next goal is to get off the statin completely.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #6
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
--^^^

--jp
Old 12-18-2023, 06:44 PM   #7
jimmyb

I was prescribed statins which gave me sever headaches. Doctor switched statins and same thing. I am using CoQ10 which is supposed to lower cholesteral. waiting to get labs. i'll let you know how it turns out
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 07:00 PM   #8
tbwinner

Eat better
Take care of yourself
Exercise
Know when to back off when ill

These are first of line interventions that the big healthcare industry skips

Why?
$$$
And lazy Americans

Why does the American Diabetes Association tell type 2 diabetics that eating an apple is ok?

Its to keep the medications going...

You're never on "just one " medication. Starting one will usually lead to a never ending treadmill of more.

Are some meds necessary? ABSOLUTELY. but we can all agree United States of America is primarily Overprescribed.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 08:01 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
4 years ago, I was having chest and jaw pain that I thought was from TMJ and an old sternum injury. I had an MRI to look at a spot on my lung which turned out to be scar tissue, but incidental findings said I either had stents or my coronary arteries were calcified. It was a big oh shit moment even though lung cancer was ruled out. Cardiologist said "hard plaque won't kill you, it's the soft plaque that kills you. A high enough dose of a statin will pull the soft plaque out of your arteries." I've been on Lipitor for 4 years but have also been taking CoQ10 twice a day. I have to say, after 4 months of taking the statin, my chest pain and jaw pain stopped. I haven't had muscle aches like many people have with statins, I attribute it to taking CoQ10. My LDL and total cholesterol dropped but my triglycerides didn't move much.

This past summer, I drastically cut my carbohydrates. The weight just fell off me, dropped almost 30 lbs. I went off my blood pressure medicine and my BP is now the best it's ever been. A few weeks ago I had blood work and my triglycerides dropped from 224 to 86, from diet alone. A friend had done the same and cut TG in half.

I think statins have a place but diet is most important. I shoot for < 100g carbs/day. A friend who is a doctor told me years ago that "white bread is your worst enemy." I think he is right.

Also, my arthritis/joint pain is pretty much all gone but I also take OTC supplements, tart cherry extract, quercetin and bromelain. My next goal is to get off the statin completely.

Good stuff!
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 09:35 PM   #10
ElKabong

Friend of mine had open heart surgery (genetic issue, not lifestyle), said the statin they placed him was awful. Joint pain, all kinds of issues. Switched statins, not much changed. He honestly feels that process did harm
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #11
delayjf

I had the same reaction to Lipitor, but not with Crestor, my colecteral is down from 225 to 120.

Quote:
A high enough dose of a statin will pull the soft plaque out of your arteries."
What dose would that be?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Why does the American Diabetes Association tell type 2 diabetics that eating an apple is ok?
I was T2 (reversed by my own way of eating) and my doctor put me on Lipitor and Hydrochlorothiazide, both of which contribute to elevated blood sugar, and I stopped taking them

Never once took the Metformin. Not a fan of any drugs, actually. Doctors are only interested in "managing" your condition.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:47 PM   #13
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
I had the same reaction to Lipitor, but not with Crestor, my colecteral is down from 225 to 120.

What dose would that be?
I take 40mg/day of Lipitor. My cardiologist said if you drive your LDL < 70, soft plaque will be pulled from your arteries. My LDL went from 152 to 58. I can't argue with the results because after 4 months, my chest and jaw pain stopped. I was taking a nitro glycerin a couple times a week.

Interestingly, my Triglycerides went from 103 to 224 after the statin. When I cut down on carbs, it went from 224 to 86.

If you are having muscle pain from the statin, try taking CoQ10. Even if you aren't having pain, you should take CoQ10.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:01 PM   #14
ElKabong

68 yo, on no meds. None. Knocking on wood + lifting weights 6x a week, golf 5 days a week, spin bike 2 or 3x a week, keep the 3/4 acre property/ yard up to snuff by myself

Motion is the lotion
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 07:39 PM   #15
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
68 yo, on no meds. None. Knocking on wood + lifting weights 6x a week, golf 5 days a week, spin bike 2 or 3x a week, keep the 3/4 acre property/ yard up to snuff by myself

Motion is the lotion