Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 08-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
shoelessjoe

Modern Pace Handicapping vs Handicapping Magic

I want to read about handicapping the shape of the race by looking at the 2nd call.Which one of these books would be more beneficial on this subject?If you have any others in mind I would like to know as well.You guys on here really come up with some helpful suggestions. Shoeless
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

Modern Pace Handicapping is a far better book, with a complete handicapping methodology that anyone can apply, no "soft focus" voodoo required.

Dick

If everything seems to go right, check your zipper.
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

That's good to know, because I'm after Hard cash.

Psycho babble bio-computer change the name of site nonsense.

If I want to freelance I can and I will, if you have a better idea that you're willing and able to sell to me, I seriously doubt it.

Case closed.

Last edited by Buckeye; 08-02-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
shoelessjoe

I love the honesty around here. Shoeless
Old 08-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
mhrussell

..both are well worth your time

..I really enjoyed both books. The HM techniques are the foundation of my play, but MPH is the 'classic' on the subject of pace. You really should and need to read both and then form your own conclusions.

There are a lot of strange and mysterious things in this world; the fulcrum horse finishing second and soft focus voodoo ... well, just try it for yourself and see.
mhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
hurrikane

For some reason I agree 100% with Dick.

better check my zipper.
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

HM ha some good stuf in it, but I agree MPH is the better tool. You can augment it with some HM ideas. the revised edition of MPH has a lot about Quirin style pace/speed figs that is good too.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe
I love the honesty around here. Shoeless

Schmidt co-wrote the book with Hambleton and Pizzolla. He is qualified to comment albeit with a biased opinion toward his own book. Buckeye, on the other hand, is a troll who's opinion should be discounted accordingly.

The honest answer is that you should read both books and decide for yourself which is the better of the two. You will likely find that you will gain insight from both books.

Last edited by kingfin66; 08-02-2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: adding on
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #9
Zaf
Pace Cappa

I enjoyed reading both books. They both contain very useful information on the art of handicapping.

ZAFONIC
Old 08-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #10
highnote

I agree with Dick. MPH is much better than HM. But go ahead and read both. I find that I still use MPH as a reference book. There is so much good stuff in it that I can't remember it all.

On the other hand, I learned very little new from HM. However, a lot of people like, so who am I to say it wouldn't be useful for you.

But do yourself a big favor and read Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw's book "The Matchup". It is the most useful of any handicapping book I have ever read. The strange paradox is that it is also just about the most poorly written and edited book ever published. Jim could've used an editor. Whenever I read MPH I always get the feeling that Jim Quinn edited the book for Brohammer. The writing style often reminds me of Quinn. I have no doubt no one but Bradshaw edited Bradshaw's book. But I'll be damned if it is not the book that taught me the best way to handicap a race.

The other books make things so complicated. Bradshaw shows you how simple it actually is. All you do is find out who is going to get the lead and then decide if he can't get the lead in a pace time that he can handle. If he has to run too fast to get the lead he'll probably lose.

His distance adjustments are brain dead simple. So simple in fact, I just used the idea for handicapping quarter horse races during my first ever visit to Ruidoso. I only had time to see three races, but I had the winner in all three. OK, I'll admit they were chalk, but I had them all, plus a nice exacta.

Good luck.

John
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
cato
Irrationally exuberant

You need to read both HM and MPH--two of the better books in handicapping.

IMO, avoid the book called the Match Up as its damn near unintelligible. The writing is poor and the editing is non-existent. BUT, if you can find a copy of the Match Up manual, that's worth reviewing and studying.

Cheers, Cato
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 12:20 AM   #12
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato
IMO, avoid the book called the Match Up as its damn near unintelligible. The writing is poor and the editing is non-existent. BUT, if you can find a copy of the Match Up manual, that's worth reviewing and studying.

Cheers, Cato
Cato,

I agree that Match Up is difficult to read because of the poor spelling and poorly executed examples. However, if you sit and study it you can get the gist of what The Hat is saying. Once you understand what he is trying to illustrate it will give you a tool to use in almost every horse race -- I even use it for harness racing. Probably works for dogs, too, if they give pace times in the pps.

By the way, what is the Match Up manual? I've never seen that.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #13
shoelessjoe

The match up manual was put out by Doc Sartins group way back when.It's much easier to understand than the book by Bradshaw.If you want go to bindfold.com/forums/index.php.The guy who runs it Binder is a great guy who runs this site devoted to the Sartin Methodology.He would help you get a copy at NO CHARGE I might add. Shoeless
Old 08-03-2005, 03:07 AM   #14
creatureman

quarter horse's and pace?????

that is a oxymoron
Old 08-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #15
shoelessjoe

Sorry I kind of screwed up I thought Binder had that manual but he doesnt.He has only has the Bradshaw book as well.Shoeless