Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
fastfasterfastest

Cryotherapy

I'm not sure if this has been discussed/debated on the site before but I'm curious to hear opinions on this treatment.

http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/...orses-1.902893
fastfasterfastest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
clicknow

Sure beats pharmaceuticals.

There's 2 cryotherapy centers right up the road from us in Benton, AR and in Little Rock, AR. (for humans) and many of the chiro offices have already started integrating this.

Many runners and elite athletes have been using them for quite a while now....you can book "per session." They've been using it in Japan for multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis since the 1970s.

For inflammation of any kind, it's been well known that "ice" is like a miracle drug, and this just brings that to play.

Debate? This would be like debating the pros and cons of acupunture versus a pharmaceutical to my mind. Different mind-set different modality

Last edited by clicknow; 08-26-2019 at 03:13 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
fastfasterfastest

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Sure beats pharmaceuticals
Absolutely agree with that.

I added debate because no matter how logical a treatment is, there will always be doubters. I have a physician that has raved about it for many years now.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

I can remember freezing my nuts off at Aqueduct on many a winter day and I don't recall any health benefits.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
zerosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag View Post
I can remember freezing my nuts off at Aqueduct on many a winter day and I don't recall any health benefits.
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #6
fastfasterfastest

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag View Post
I spent many a day/night freezing my nads off down at Greenwood back in the day. I miss that place.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:24 AM   #7
Sysonby

They're using it particularly with horses at risk of laminitis. It was used with Paynter when he had his health issues, and a number of other horses. The cryotherapy appears to stop the process that results in the loosening of the lamellae in the hoof. It has been proven to mitigate against the worst effects of laminitis due to most causes. The earlier it's started after the event that causes the laminitis to occur, the better the result.

There may be a veterinary who has more accurate and up to date information on this who's on the forum.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
parlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfasterfastest View Post
I spent many a day/night freezing my nads off down at Greenwood back in the day. I miss that place.
AHHH The good old days. The grandstand was tough to endure, you could always sit in the glassed in enclosure and inhale second hand smoke!
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply