Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #31
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
Anyone should be able to bet unless you are an employee of that track the horse is racing at. jocks and trainers and agents are not employees of tracks. A steward has the ability to change the outcome of a race, they must be barred from wagering at the track they are employed at.
Fast, c'mon....tell me this doesn't include the NYRA gate crew. I love those guys! I've watched them going over the pocket racing program between races so many times. ... I don't care if they bet. ... Seriously.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #32
Red Knave
dGnr8

I have mixed feelings about the change.
I don't feel too bad about winners at SAR getting 5% less of an even larger purse. One win at SAR may not pay the training bill for a year but it sure takes the pressure off.
3rd, 4th and 5th get a better deal now, maybe enough to try harder.
Also now, a 6th place horse in a 6 horse field gets paid the same as the 5th place horse. I'm not sure that's right.
And I'm not sure how this makes for larger fields, since the more horses you have after 6 the less each one gets. In a larger field it's likely less than $200 each over last year. Does that tip the decision to keep a new horse on the grounds or to ship it in?
Horses at SAR were already getting paid more than anywhere else in the country and they still are after this change.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Anyone should be able to bet unless you are an employee of that track the horse is racing at. jocks and trainers and agents are not employees of tracks. A steward has the ability to change the outcome of a race, they must be barred from wagering at the track they are employed at.
So you are OK with Irad betting a grand on Jose in a race they are riding in together?

Is Pete Rose riding these days?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #34
upthecreek

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #35
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Fast, c'mon....tell me this doesn't include the NYRA gate crew. I love those guys! I've watched them going over the pocket racing program between races so many times. ... I don't care if they bet. ... Seriously.
I always wondered about those guys I did see a race a few years back where the gate crew ran over to a horse that was acting up in the gate and left the 8:5 favorite with nobody near him the gate opened the 8:5favorite went to his knees and never came in the money but now you have me thinking again!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #36
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So you are OK with Irad betting a grand on Jose in a race they are riding in together?

Is Pete Rose riding these days?
So what makes you think that Irad or his brother aren’t trying to win the race you are not a jockey and neither am I and they are not riding in cars out there with brakes steering wheels or gas pedals there are a lot more things that could change the outcome of a race other than a jockeys bad ride. I know owners that play $50-$1000 or more to win on a horse and hand the ticket to the jockey in the winners circle. It happens more often than you think!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
So what makes you think that Irad or his brother aren’t trying to win the race you are not a jockey and neither am I and they are not riding in cars out there with brakes steering wheels or gas pedals there are a lot more things that could change the outcome of a race other than a jockeys bad ride. I know owners that play $50-$1000 or more to win on a horse and hand the ticket to the jockey in the winners circle. It happens more often than you think!
Come on, you can't have jockeys betting on other horses in the race.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Only fool ever assumes honesty.
You CANNOT allow the people who participate in the sporting event to bet on it's outcome. ANY sporting event, Anyone. Anytime.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #39
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
You CANNOT allow the people who participate in the sporting event to bet on it's outcome. ANY sporting event, Anyone. Anytime.
I see no problem with a participant betting on themselves to win.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #40
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I see no problem with a participant betting on themselves to win.
Pete Rose agrees with you. I don't think it is a big problem, but it does bring into question the times riders don't bet on themselves. Obviously it wouldn't be wise to bet on yourself every race, but it still isn't a good optic.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #41
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Come on, you can't have jockeys betting on other horses in the race.
ban jockeys from betting on races they are involved in and their friends or family can still bet for them. Employees of the track should be banned from betting from the gate crew to the horse identifier to the chief of scales to the racing secretary and stewards that should be set in stone.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #42
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You can't stop jockeys or trainers or anyone from betting on horses...all they need is a friend to do it for them if they don't want to risk doing it themselves.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #43
onefast99

Quote:
honesty? We can’t even agree on a drug policy that covers every track let alone worry about a jockey betting his hard earned money on the outcome of a race he is involved in.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #44
Seabiscuit@AR

You don't want jockeys betting even on themselves to win

The problem is a group of jockeys could reach an understanding that they will help each other's bet win. So 4 jockeys might agree to help each of them cash a winning bet by not trying when one of them has a bet running. So in R1 Jockey A backs themself to win while Jockeys B, C and D don't try or even engage in tactics to help A win. Then in R2 Jockey B bets so A, C and D try to help B get home etc etc. After 4 races each of them cashes a big bet on their own mount

So the rule has to be that jockeys cannot bet

However back in the real world it is very hard to stop jockeys betting and rumours always abound about some jockeys being big bettors
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Well, there you go.
Why bother if it is hard to do.

No one can stop a cook from pissing in the mashed potatoes if they have a mind to do so.

So why make it illegal?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: