Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 AM   #286
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
This meme doesn't necessarily say that arming teachers is a bad idea, but rather, that it is unlikely to happen due to a particular party's perceived spending histories.

Do I take that to mean that you are not necessarily AGAINST this idea of teachers?

I believe it's impractical - for a variety of reasons.

(1) A weapon in the classroom does not necessarily make it safer.
In a perfect world, every armed teacher could protect students.
How long before one of these weapons gets into the wrong hands?
More people massacred due to a proposed solution.

(2) Do you really think that teachers will get behind this?
They are not the easiest professional group to negotiate with.
Reaching common ground on firearms training could present problems.

(3) Is it totally out of the question as a solution? No.
Other prevention measures look potentially more successful to me.
Perhaps a number of armed personnel at most schools is feasible.

I can't help thinking of putting out fire with gasoline.
That's probably just me, though.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 AM   #287
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
I believe it's impractical - for a variety of reasons.

(1) A weapon in the classroom does not necessarily make it safer.
In a perfect world, every armed teacher could protect students.
How long before one of these weapons gets into the wrong hands?
More people massacred due to a proposed solution.

(2) Do you really think that teachers will get behind this?
They are not the easiest professional group to negotiate with.
Reaching common ground on firearms training could present problems.

(3) Is it totally out of the question as a solution? No.
Other prevention measures look potentially more successful to me.
Perhaps a number of armed personnel at most schools is feasible.

I can't help thinking of putting out fire with gasoline.
That's probably just me, though.

What if they are put in schools like the air marshals in planes?
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 01:19 AM   #288
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

This whole discussion of arming teachers, along with all the other shit we've had to do already to protect schools...IS INSANE...and a direct indication of the complete breakdown of society as a whole.

Our schools, for the most part, are PRISONS right now.

I know my high school system is a virtual prison from direct experience. You can't get in without being buzzed in...like a prison. If you want to drop a forgotten lunch off for your kid, you have to be BUZZED IN...that's how far we've come already.

When I went to high school (holy hell it's been 30 years already), any schmuck could basically wander the halls at will...HOW THE **** DID WE EVER SURVIVE?

Were there no GUNS back in the 80s? Are automatic weapons a recent invention?

NO. That tells you all you need to know.

Back in the 80s, LIBERAL was basically a four letter word. I remember the Reagan years.

Now LIBERAL is embraced by large swaths of society.

Coincidence?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-23-2018 at 01:21 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 03:32 AM   #289
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
This whole discussion of arming teachers, along with all the other shit we've had to do already to protect schools...IS INSANE...and a direct indication of the complete breakdown of society as a whole.

Our schools, for the most part, are PRISONS right now.

I know my high school system is a virtual prison from direct experience. You can't get in without being buzzed in...like a prison. If you want to drop a forgotten lunch off for your kid, you have to be BUZZED IN...that's how far we've come already.

When I went to high school (holy hell it's been 30 years already), any schmuck could basically wander the halls at will...HOW THE **** DID WE EVER SURVIVE?

Were there no GUNS back in the 80s? Are automatic weapons a recent invention?

NO. That tells you all you need to know.

Back in the 80s, LIBERAL was basically a four letter word. I remember the Reagan years.

Now LIBERAL is embraced by large swaths of society.

Coincidence?
Actually Now violent crime is lower than the so-called Reagan years.'81-'89

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...torical-highs/

On average, for the last 30 years violent crime has been declining. In 1986, the violent crime rate was 620 violent crimes per 100,000 people. In 1991, the rate increased to 758, which was the highest it has been since 1960.

"For 15 to 20 years both the violent and nonviolent crime rates as measured by the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report (UCR) have been dropping like a rock. It is now at the level of the early 1950s. It is very low," said Alan Lizotte, a professor in the School of Criminal Justice at the University at Albany, in email correspondence with PolitiFact.

Today, the "romance"' or "bromance" with guns is more evident and basically it'/s seeds started with the John Wayne western. on the big screen.

Gee didn't Saint Ronnie play heroes in a lot of cowboy and Indian westerns?

You want to get rid of most violence, fall out of love with good guys with a gun hero worship.

https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/...or-Gun-Control

in the United States of America where the Constitution grants the use of all forms of weaponry. As a result, firearms are present in about 40% of American households. One argument for gun control suggests a potential link between this statistic and the American murder rate (murders per 100,000 people), which is about three times higher than all other industrialized nations. Furthermore, while other countries see firearms used in about 15% of murders, victims in the U.S. are shot in 68% of cases.

Last edited by hcap; 02-23-2018 at 03:37 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #290
davew

That is a very nice Violent Crime chart hcap. It shows exactly what you want to show. I find a problem with it though. The numbers are skewed by 'aggregated assault' which is between 50 and 70% of the total. I will argue that this is a vague term and probably not reported as much anymore because many victims themselves are crooks.

davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #291
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

OK, so if violent crime has been FALLING since about the time I graduated high school, WHY have schools become more and more like PRISONS since the time I graduated high school?

GUNS are NOT new inventions over the last 2-3 decades...

It's NOT the guns. It's society itself.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #292
woodtoo

Yes. The breakdown of society as we know it. Can it be rebuilt is the question.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #293
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
What if they are put in schools like the air marshals in planes?
Like 21 Jump Street
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #294
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Liberals are the "anything goes" type. Do anything, as long as it makes you feel good.

They're also the biggest snowflakes in the world. Offended by anything and everything.

Offended? Better go kill that person who offended you.

Bullied? Better go kill that person who bullied you...it will make you feel better...you deserve it...you're special.

Liberals have been indoctrinating this bullshit into the brains of our youth for decades now...liberal teachers...liberal psychiatrists pumping our kids full of big pharma meds...ADHD? On the autism spectrum? Aspergers? You've got a kid with a problem, we've got a disease with a drug to go with it...

This is who we've become under our liberal overlords...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-23-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #295
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oh wait...I forgot...it's the guns that are the problem.

Liberal corner...yuck!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #296
elysiantraveller

Quote:
OK, so if violent crime has been FALLING since about the time I graduated high school, WHY have schools become more and more like PRISONS since the time I graduated high school?

When the liberal posts gun ownership at all time highs and violent crime down statistics... then says we should take away guns...

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-23-2018 at 12:17 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #297
hcap

Quote:

Yes crime is at a low point in many countries. One theory is inhalation of lead, both paints and more specifically leaded gasoline increased crime. And then the removal of leaded gasoline lowered. A distinct time lag of young children growing with lead accumulating until into their adolescence where chemical defects in the brain erupt in violent behavior..

I said the love of guns and gun culture impact boys and young men and warp many who are susceptible to acting out being tough and hostile.We have a shit load of American cultural "models" all melodramatic. From cowboys to war tales to Dirty Harry crime epics. So it's not the necessarily the amount of violence per se, but young males attempting to emulate violent role models all packing. A more subtle influence than the graphics and blood and gore of films, video games and tv shows. Our heroes doing good violently or our hero seeking revenge violently overshadow the visual blood fest of say a vampire apocalypse.

Last edited by hcap; 02-23-2018 at 12:22 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #298
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
OK, so if violent crime has been FALLING since about the time I graduated high school, WHY have schools become more and more like PRISONS since the time I graduated high school

An ounce of prevention....

Every time there's an incident at a school, the second guessing rises to a fever pitch (i.e. this week).Best way to prevent that is to limit access.Since it's difficult to prove a negative, we will never know how many attacks, if any, were stopped by these measures.And you have to know that there are also custody battles so some parents are on a no contact list, suspended kids looking to settle scores , gangs recruiting kids, etc.Shootings aren't the only bad thing that can happen in a school.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #299
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
I said the love of guns and gun culture impact boys and young men and warp many who are susceptible to acting out being tough and hostile.We have a shit load of American cultural "models" all melodramatic. From cowboys to war tales to Dirty Harry crime epics. So it's not the necessarily the amount of violence per se, but young males attempting to emulate violent role models all packing. A more subtle influence than the graphics and blood and gore of films, video games and tv shows. Our heroes doing good violently or our hero seeking revenge violently overshadow the visual blood fest of say a vampire apocalypse.
Cowboys? Dirty Harry? Those were all AT THEIR HEIGHT DECADES AGO, when schools were open zones for any child molester to roam free, forget about guys toting semi-automatic weapons.

Again, HOW DID WE SURVIVE BACK THEN? Schools across the nation should have been littered with dead bodies on a daily basis.

Come on man...your argument is getting weaker by the minute.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #300
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
An ounce of prevention....

Every time there's an incident at a school, the second guessing rises to a fever pitch (i.e. this week).Best way to prevent that is to limit access.Since it's difficult to prove a negative, we will never know how many attacks, if any, were stopped by these measures.And you have to know that there are also custody battles so some parents are on a no contact list, suspended kids looking to settle scores , gangs recruiting kids, etc.Shootings aren't the only bad thing that can happen in a school.
No kidding...you left pedos off your list.

I have no problem with how schools are defending themselves these days. They'd be morons not to. That really wasn't what I was getting out.

I'm asking how *I* and everyone like me survived going to school 30 years ago, when guns, cowboys, Dirty Harry, and the like were all around us, and the schools were open door institutions, basically...

I should count my lucky stars I made it out alive, I guess...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: