Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
bks

LARC R5: Here is why we need public statements made

LOS AL, R5. When Edward Maldonado stands up on a horse in mid-stretch, we need to know exactly why.

I will assume he felt unsoundness in his mount (I know not to bet Steve Knapp for much money in a short field, and I didn't. It's the principle). But he has to now say so, and there needs to be a follow-up vet report indicating the reasons. I assume the horse was vanned off?

It looked terrible otherwise, and this sort of thing can't be left to the imagination.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks
LOS AL, R5. When Edward Maldonado stands up on a horse in mid-stretch, we need to know exactly why.

I will assume he felt unsoundness in his mount (I know not to bet Steve Knapp for much money in a short field, and I didn't. It's the principle). But he has to now say so, and there needs to be a follow-up vet report indicating the reasons. I assume the horse was vanned off?

It looked terrible otherwise, and this sort of thing can't be left to the imagination.
It did look terrible. To the simple eye, looks like he just said I'm tired. Don't feel like riding anymore.

The norm.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
It did look terrible. To the simple eye, looks like he just said I'm tired. Don't feel like riding anymore.

The norm.
$1.50 fine ...no days..we don't care why you stop riding..next time Edwin we will come.down hard $25 fine..
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks

Why? Because the judges in California won't ever do anything about it. These guys do it because they could get away with it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Why? Because the judges in California won't ever do anything about it. These guys do it because they could get away with it.
I watched the video. Looked like he just thought he had 3rd wrapped up, but oops another horse came late, I don't know, still no excuse for not riding through to the finish line...strange indeed.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
SandyW

I find it hard to believe that the judges in CA. have any knowledge about horse racing and what this game is all about.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #7
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Jeremy Balan (Blood-Horse) reporting on Twitter that Maldonado has been suspended three days for failure to ride to the finish:
https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan/status/725773558966702080

-jp

Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
Jeremy Balan (Blood-Horse) reporting on Twitter that Maldonado has been suspended three days for failure to ride to the finish:

-jp

never heard of this guy, but his twitter is interesting, seems like a good source of info.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
bks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P

-jp

Thx for reporting this. I'd like to see the text of the ruling and learn what (if anything) Maldonado told the stewards. Have a link?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Jeff P

Here's a link to the stewards minutes for the Los Al Thoroughbred meet on the CHRB.gov site:
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Stewards/Minu...T_16_04_17.pdf

Scrolling through the steward's minutes, the only thing I currently see about Maldonado on the site is the following:

Quote:
4/17/165 MALDONADO RULING LSTL #008
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO is suspended for ONE (1) ADDITIONAL RACING DAY (April 23, 2016) pursuant to California Horse Racing Board Rule #1766(g)(h) (Designated Races – rode in more than one designated race in California on April 16, 2016 while under suspension).

This ruling was issued when Mr. Maldonado rode in more than one designated race in California on April 16, 2016 while under suspension.
The race in question here was run on Sunday 04-24-2016 - and the most current steward's minutes entry on the CHRB.gove site (as I type this) is for the 04-17-2016 race date.

I'll check the CHRB.gov site every few days and post an update in the event the steward's minutes get updated for the race in question.

-jp

Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #11
Jeff P

Stewards minutes now updated on the CHRB's ca.gov site:
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Stewards/Minu...T_16_05_01.pdf

Quote:
THURSDAY
04/28/161

FILM REVIEW
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO came to the office to review his ride in the fifth race Sunday during which he stopped riding before the finish. He was candid in explaining that he simply misjudged the finish and stood up before his horse reached the wire. This action clearly cost his horse a better placing (third) and he was therefore penalized in the following ruling:

LSTL Ruling #011
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO who rode BIG BREAK in the fifth race at Los Alamitos Racing Association, is suspended for THREE (3) racing days (May 8, 12 and 13, 2016) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1692 (Requirements for Horse, Trainer and Jockey – failure to ride his mount to the finish, costing him a better finish position). Pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1766 (Designated Races), the term of suspension shall not prohibit participation in designated races.

-jp

Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #12
bks

Quote:
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO came to the office to review his ride in the fifth race Sunday during which he stopped riding before the finish. He was candid in explaining that he simply misjudged the finish and stood up before his horse reached the wire. This action clearly cost his horse a better placing (third) and he was therefore penalized in the following ruling:
Probably an honest mistake. But still:

THE WIRE: MISJUDGED
A Screenplay in One Act
by E. Quine Justice

EXT. MALIBU BEACH, EARLY DUSK. THE SUN IS SETTING AND WAVES CAN BE HEARD CRASHING. TWO MEN WALK SLOWLY TOWARD US AT SURF'S EDGE, ONE MUCH TALLER THAN THE OTHER. CHILDREN PLAY IN THE BACKGROUND AND SEAGULLS CAW.

TALL MAN: How was your vacation?

SHORT MAN: Not bad, not bad. Never been to Alaska before. Really big and quiet. It wasn't even that cold, like you said. But crazy big mosquitos.

TALL: Everyone hears 'Alaska' and thinks snow, but it's the friggin mosquitos you can't prepare yourself for.

SHORT: Part of me wanted to stay there.

TALL: Yeah. It's nice to clear the head for a couple of weeks, particularly when you're getting paid for it, right? (Reaches inside his front pocket for a white bank envelope, which is stuffed with cash. He hands it to the smaller man). The board ruled on your case last week.

SHORT: Saw that. They gave me 3 days.

TALL: Which is what we thought they'd do. Think they turned out to be the 3 days you spent in Fairbanks, I believe. Or maybe Anchorage. I forget.

SHORT (nodding, then pauses): I never did anything like that before.

THE MEN STOP WALKING

TALL: (turning to shorter) Of course not. Which is why you were the perfect guy for it. People who try to make pigs of themselves gets slaughtered.

SHORT: Whole thing makes me nervous.

TALL: Look, tomorrow you go back to riding everything right through the wire just like always. Then, in a few years before the next vacation, and then maybe after that just one more time before your retire, maybe you misjudge the wire again. It happens. You're human.

SHORT: I don't know, man.

TALL: People get older. It gets harder to judge things. Everyone make mistakes.

SHORT: (looks at agent expressionlessly): You're right about that.

Last edited by bks; 05-09-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks

A Screenplay in One Act
by E. Quine Justice

EXT. MALIBU BEACH, EARLY DUSK. THE SUN IS SETTING AND WAVES CAN BE HEARD CRASHING. TWO MEN WALK SLOWLY TOWARD US AT SURF'S EDGE, ONE MUCH TALLER THAN THE OTHER. CHILDREN PLAY IN THE BACKGROUND AND SEAGULLS CAW.

SHORT MAN: Not bad, not bad. Never been to Alaska before. Really big and quiet. It wasn't even that cold, like you said. But crazy big mosquitos.

TALL: Everyone hears 'Alaska' and thinks snow, but it's the friggin mosquitos you can't prepare yourself for.

TALL: Yeah. It's nice to clear the head for a couple of weeks, particularly when you're getting paid for it, right? (Reaches inside his front pocket for a white bank envelope, which is stuffed with cash. He hands it to the smaller man). The board ruled on your case last week.

TALL: Which is what we thought they'd do. Think they turned out to be the 3 days you spent in Fairbanks, I believe. Or maybe Anchorage. I forget.

THE MEN STOP WALKING

TALL: (turning to shorter) Of course not. Which is why you were the perfect guy for it. People who try to make pigs of themselves gets slaughtered.

TALL: Look, tomorrow you go back to riding everything right through the wire just like always. Then, in a few years before the next vacation, and then maybe after that just one more time before your retire, maybe you misjudge the wire again. It happens. You're human.

Great!!

And truth.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks

A Screenplay in One Act
by E. Quine Justice

THE MEN STOP WALKING

But anyone who thinks this happens is nuts, NUTS I tell ya!!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #15
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash$
$1.50 fine ...no days..we don't care why you stop riding..next time Edwin we will come.down hard $25 fine..

LSTL Ruling #011
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO who rode BIG BREAK in the fifth race at Los Alamitos Racing Association, is suspended for THREE (3) racing days (May 8, 12 and 13, 2016) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1692 (Requirements for Horse, Trainer and Jockey – failure to ride his mount to the finish, costing him a better finish position). Pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1766 (Designated Races), the term of suspension shall not prohibit participation in designated races.

-Do you Grassy Knoll whiners ever feel a little silly with your ridiculous statements?
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: