Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #61
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
[/B]

Only if you don't recognize the end results.....if you stop the Trump Hate you might be able to see past your nose.
What end results?

Are steel and aluminum tariffs a negotiating tactic? Because I've seen no indication from the Administration they intend to remove them. In fact part of the reason for them was to fulfill a campaign promise.

You also draw up an interesting conundrum with your regulations comment (I agree with you on that btw) because...

Government Interference (Regulations) = Bad
Government Interference (Tariffs) = Good?

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 08-30-2018 at 12:47 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #62
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
We've cited examples of this from home prices to Coca-Cola to cars to kegs to nails and these are only direct results of the steel and aluminum tariffs.

Nothing else.
So anecdotal evidence, but nothing from CPI or any other governmental agency that shows exactly how much extra the average Joe is paying. I thought you had something more concrete than that. I was expecting something along the lines of the average guy paying $200 more a month and wiping out the tax cuts. Nevermind.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #63
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
So anecdotal evidence, but nothing from CPI or any other governmental agency that shows exactly how much extra the average Joe is paying. I thought you had something more concrete than that. I was expecting something along the lines of the average guy paying $200 more a month and wiping out the tax cuts. Nevermind.
Have you checked the data?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #64
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Have you checked the data?
Yes, that's why I'm asking you. All you have is bits and pieces that support your viewpoint. I was simply asking for a neutral set of data.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #65
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Yes, that's why I'm asking you. All you have is bits and pieces that support your viewpoint. I was simply asking for a neutral set of data.
Overall CPI is up over last year. Metal and Metal products are outpacing the rest of the index. I honestly don't know how much of that is caused by tariffs. Other factors undoubtedly play a role like the tax cuts and spending bill which are pumping dollars into circulation.

I think you're making the mistake of using a macro tool to look at micro section of the economy. I wouldn't expect a tariff on $50-100 billion in goods to have that large of an overall impact on a $18 Trillion dollar economy.

As you've stated before these are just drops in the bucket. Using a tool like CPI isn't really the best idea in that situation.

If we applied tariffs to say $500 billion Chinese imports... then yes CPI may begin to gain some usefulness.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #66
highnote

[QUOTE=tucker6;2363268Every single economic ying has an economic yang. An endless number of yings and yangs I might add.[/QUOTE]

The yings and yangs that cause differences of opinions are what makes a horse race and also what makes people post on paceadvantage.com.

If everyone agreed and were always correct there would be no horse racing and no paceadvantage.com.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: