Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #211
Mulerider

NYRA teams with TAA to support aftercare
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #212
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Anyone interested in this thread should read Mark Berner's current piece at HorseRaceInsider.

Its part 1 of a planned three part series on this topic.
Denny, Part 2 was posted today.

A short excerpt, and thumbs up to trainer Graham Motion:

"People inside the industry have added to the funds collected via Alborano’s social-media appeals. Some who have contributed are owners Amad Zayat, Rich Papeise, Michael Cannon and Mike Schera, and trainer Graham Motion, who places neon green stickers on the racing papers of his horses that read:

HERINGSWELL STABLES LTD. If this horse ever needs a home, call 410.398.0090. This horse was not bred for slaughter.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #213
Denny
Veteran

Mulerider,

Another well done piece by Mark Berner, and getting a lot of comments too!

All here should check it out.

Denny
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #214
cutchemist42

Quote:
The only way to stop excessive breeding is to take away the
financial incentive that slaughter provides & then to back rigid enforcement of existing cruelty laws. We cannot wish our way out of abuse and neglect
any more than we can slaughter our way out of it.
John Holland
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...gBaBQ5.twitter

Quote:
I don’t think so. I say bigger in this case is better. One of the best things about racing is that any Joe Schmo with a fast horse can beat a hedge fund manager with a purple-pedigreed animal. There is something more egalitarian about this aspect of the game that sets it apart from other sporting ventures.

Aside from my love of the animal itself, this David knocking off Goliath factor is what drove me toward the game, both writing about it and participating in it.

Watching a bunch of horses owned and bred by a bunch of rich people for their own amusement holds very little appeal to me personally. I am certain that I would enjoy the contests, but not the backdrop or the stories behind the horses. I guess that’s why yacht racing never appealed to me.

The problem with involving everybody is the same one America faces in its politics at present. Trying to get the so-called “haves” and “have-nots” on the same page is practically impossible. Most racing in America involves average to marginal athletes.

Quote:
Though, I'd make the argument, that when Thoroughbred ownership is limited to the wealthy--who don't need to "make a buck" on their animals--trainers will be more patient, not rush the horse along, avoid injuries, etc. Imo the problem...
Quote:
2/2) is that horse ownership consists of too many small time players, syndicates, etc. When the Whitneys & Vanderbilts & Riddles ran racing the problems were fewer. Respectfully, just my opinion.

1 reply 1 retweet 2 likes
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #215
cutchemist42

Kinda speaks to Alex Brown's point of there being simply too many tracks.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #216
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Even Stevie Wonder can see this.

Just think of it this way. If you could buy tb racing and you're the new CEO, what would you do immediately? You'd close all the underperforming tracks and consolidate your resources (trainers and horses) to the more successful tracks in order to have larger fields.

Instead, in this disjointed sport, everyone is out for their own survival.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #217
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Say you arbitrarily divide racetracks into A (e.g., Santa Anita, Del Mar, NYRA tracks, winter meet at Gulstream), B (e.g., Laurel, Delaware, Parx) and C tracks (e.g., Arapahoe Park, Rilito, Hazel Park). The C tracks are either racing horses from local owners, or horses that physically can't compete at better tracks. If you closed all the C tracks, there probably aren't more than 5% of the horses that could be successful at an A track. Closing those tracks wouldn't have much of an effect on racing's problems.

Probably more than 50% of the horses at B tracks could be competitive at an A track. As harsh as it sounds, it would be better for racing if some of the B tracks closed. If there were 20-22 tracks distributed by time zone, I'd be willing to bet there would be a lot more races filled with better horses and the sport would prosper.

Just an opinion.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #218
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Say you arbitrarily divide racetracks into A (e.g., Santa Anita, Del Mar, NYRA tracks, winter meet at Gulstream), B (e.g., Laurel, Delaware, Parx) and C tracks (e.g., Arapahoe Park, Rilito, Hazel Park). The C tracks are either racing horses from local owners, or horses that physically can't compete at better tracks. If you closed all the C tracks, there probably aren't more than 5% of the horses that could be successful at an A track. Closing those tracks wouldn't have much of an effect on racing's problems.

Probably more than 50% of the horses at B tracks could be competitive at an A track. As harsh as it sounds, it would be better for racing if some of the B tracks closed. If there were 20-22 tracks distributed by time zone, I'd be willing to bet there would be a lot more races filled with better horses and the sport would prosper.

Just an opinion.
When you compare population to amount of tracks, how would the USA compare to Europe/Australia/Japan?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #219
cutchemist42

I also simply think that if we are going to slaughter horses, they are just as sentient as other animals that have actually more humane legislation regarding their slaughter. Instead horse slaughter is essentially lawless.

NO human should be eating sport horse meat. The medication is really bad for humans and it sickens Mexico is exporting this meat to places that dont know better.

Horse slaughter in Canada has dropped a lot because we actually require 6 months of the horse living on Canadian agricultural standards before being exported.

Mexican horse slaughter standards is just scum, and no one should be eating that meat.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #220
Mulerider

Quote:
I also simply think that if we are going to slaughter horses, they are just as sentient as other animals that have actually more humane legislation regarding their slaughter. Instead horse slaughter is essentially lawless.

NO human should be eating sport horse meat. The medication is really bad for humans and it sickens Mexico is exporting this meat to places that dont know better.

Horse slaughter in Canada has dropped a lot because we actually require 6 months of the horse living on Canadian agricultural standards before being exported.

Mexican horse slaughter standards is just scum, and no one should be eating that meat.
Well said, cutchemist. I looked through the links you posted. I was particularly struck by this quote:

"Animals are more than ever a test of our character, of mankind's capacity for empathy and for decent, honorable conduct and faithful stewardship. We are called to treat them with kindness, not because they have rights or power or some claim to equality, but in a sense because they don't; because they all stand unequal and powerless before us." -- Matthew Scully
Old 04-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #221
Fager Fan
Veteran

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...plicated-tale/

The Dina train just derailed. Lying about being a 501(c)3 is just a part of it.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #222
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...plicated-tale/

The Dina train just derailed. Lying about being a 501(c)3 is just a part of it.
I don't think her website ever claimed to be a 501, did it? She would be much better served, in my opinion, to obtain that status, along with the requisite transparency.

At any rate, her critics -- who've been saying "we're working on it" for years -- will need to have better rescue ideas than what they've heretofore proposed, or else the Mexico Express from Delta/Evangeline will continue in perpetuity.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #223
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I don't think her website ever claimed to be a 501, did it? She would be much better served, in my opinion, to obtain that status, along with the requisite transparency.

At any rate, her critics -- who've been saying "we're working on it" for years -- will need to have better rescue ideas than what they've heretofore proposed, or else the Mexico Express from Delta/Evangeline will continue in perpetuity.
Yeah Dina responded to this as well.

https://www.icareihelp.com/in-response-to-ray-paulick

I mean, I think are decent points on both sides. I will say that I really think Dina has a point, some of those other organizations dont really seem to show a lot of success stories. It does make me wonder where the money is going.

I at least see the horses Dina has pulled out of the killpens, even if she did pay a markup from a shitty person.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #224
Mulerider

Quote:

I mean, I think are decent points on both sides. I will say that I really think Dina has a point, some of those other organizations dont really seem to show a lot of success stories. It does make me wonder where the money is going.

I at least see the horses Dina has pulled out of the killpens, even if she did pay a markup from a shitty person.
Yes. And the catfighting on social media is beyond ridiculous. I'm still waiting on an industry entity with clout to put the hammer down on Boyd Gaming, whose intransigence on enforcing its own slaughter policy is the source of this mess. Delta management must be thrilled with the Paulick article, since it takes the focus off their own negligence.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:08 AM   #225
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

Quote:
I will say that I really think Dina has a point, some of those other organizations dont really seem to show a lot of success stories. It does make me wonder where the money is going.
That's ridiculous.

I do think you can say that she's tackling this problem in a much different way; i'm certainly a big supporter of anybody that's making an effort to help horses in need.

Quote:
I also simply think that if we are going to slaughter horses, they are just as sentient as other animals that have actually more humane legislation regarding their slaughter.
The vast majority of horses end up unwanted; it's the unfortunate nature of this business.

There are no good answers. Contraction's a blessing only in the sense that this not entirely grand-old-game is a little closer to it's demise. Which i suppose is mostly for the best.

Last edited by zawaaa; 04-13-2018 at 12:17 AM.
zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: