Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #4771
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
The bible doesn't give a date for creation. The best we can do is to follow the geneaologies, as Bishop Usher[sic] (and others scholars have) to arrive at an approximate date.
Ussher's date was 23 October 4004 BCE at 9:00 a.m. That's rather specific. Was he using the Gregorian calendar? Was that Greenwich Mean Time?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #4772
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Ussher's date was 23 October 4004 BCE at 9:00 a.m. That's rather specific. Was he using the Gregorian calendar? Was that Greenwich Mean Time?
He was using his brain. You should take a cue from him.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #4773
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Looks like the date depends on your source. One source says Ussher's date was 22 October at 6:00 p.m. Ussher also seems to have believed that the creation was exactly 4000 years before the birth of Jesus Christ. He based that on Josephus's report that Herod the Great died in 4 B.C.E.

Further research says Ussher used the Julian calendar.

Ussher also seems to have been unaware that the earth is a sphere. Otherwise how would he determine the time of day?

He also seems to have believed that Jesus would return in October 2000. If that happened Fox News missed it.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #4774
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
He was using his brain. You should take a cue from him.
You know who else used their brains?
  • Aristarchus of Samos -- Discovered heliocentric model of the solar system circa 300 B.C.E.
  • Eratosthenes -- Measured the size of the earth circa 250 B.C.E.
  • Archimedes -- Discovered the scientific method. May have discovered calculus.
  • Copernicus
  • Galileo
  • Tycho Brahe
  • Kepler
  • Giordano Bruno -- Stars are distant suns.
  • Isaac Newton -- Discovered calculus and the laws of motion.
  • Louis Pasteur -- Major contributor to the germ theory of disease and the principles of vaccination. When we find a vaccine for Covid-19 you can thank him.
  • Charles Darwin
  • Albert Einstein -- Theory of relativity.
You should take your cue from these guys.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #4775
boxcar

Quote:
You know who else used their brains?
  • Aristarchus of Samos -- Discovered heliocentric model of the solar system circa 300 B.C.E.
  • Eratosthenes -- Measured the size of the earth circa 250 B.C.E.
  • Archimedes -- Discovered the scientific method. May have discovered calculus.
  • Copernicus
  • Galileo
  • Tycho Brahe
  • Kepler
  • Giordano Bruno -- Stars are distant suns.
  • Isaac Newton -- Discovered calculus and the laws of motion.
  • Louis Pasteur -- Major contributor to the germ theory of disease and the principles of vaccination. When we find a vaccine for Covid-19 you can thank him.
  • Charles Darwin
  • Albert Einstein -- Theory of relativity.
You should take your cue from these guys.
God created all ex nihilo; they only discovered what he made. I guess God's brain is a wee bit larger than these guys + yours.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #4776
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
God created all ex nihilo; they only discovered what he made.
The problem is that you can't prove that God exists. Posting ad hominem attacks does not do it. If you could prove that a god exists then you have the problem of proving that there is only one. If you could prove that then you have the problem of proving that that one is the Abrahamic god. Scripture does not do it.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #4777
Light
Veteran

Quote:
The problem is that you can't prove that God exists.
I'm not sticking up for Box,but you can't prove God does NOT exist either.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #4778
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I never said I could. Way back in the Religion 1 thread I identified as an agnostic. boxcar claims that I do not qualify as an agnostic and he put the atheist label on me. Agnostic or atheist I'm comfortable with either label.

American Atheists takes the position that there is no evidence which supports the existence of a deity.

But the agnostic label comes with its own baggage. Is there one god, many gods, or no god at all? If there is one god is he/she/it a deist god, i.e., did he/she/it create the universe and then ignore it ever since? According to the Drake equation it appears almost certain there there are billions upon billions of planets in the universe where intelligent species have evolved. Does God interact with all of these species or only the human species on an insignificant planet on the edge of an insignificant galaxy? If only the human species why did he/she/it need a "chosen people" that inhabited a small corner of this planet? If boxcar is correct then why is this deity a moral monster? Is he/she/it powerless to prevent human suffering, war, slavery, the holocaust? Or does he/she/it delight in human suffering?

And the big question, why is he/she/it in hiding?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #4779
boxcar

Quote:
Thank God for big favors. You sticking up for me would be analogous to the demons bearing witness to Jesus' divinity.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #4780
thaskalos

Quote:
We can't prove that aliens from other planets don't exist either. Does that mean that they exist? It seems to me that the burden of proof lies with those who claim that something EXISTS.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #4781
thaskalos

Quote:
I never said I could. Way back in the Religion 1 thread I identified as an agnostic. boxcar claims that I do not qualify as an agnostic and he put the atheist label on me. Agnostic or atheist I'm comfortable with either label.

American Atheists takes the position that there is no evidence which supports the existence of a deity.

But the agnostic label comes with its own baggage. Is there one god, many gods, or no god at all? If there is one god is he/she/it a deist god, i.e., did he/she/it create the universe and then ignore it ever since? According to the Drake equation it appears almost certain there there are billions upon billions of planets in the universe where intelligent species have evolved. Does God interact with all of these species or only the human species on an insignificant planet on the edge of an insignificant galaxy? If only the human species why did he/she/it need a "chosen people" that inhabited a small corner of this planet? If boxcar is correct then why is this deity a moral monster? Is he/she/it powerless to prevent human suffering, war, slavery, the holocaust? Or does he/she/it delight in human suffering?

And the big question, why is he/she/it in hiding?
IMO...the simplistic, literally-interpreted God of the "Fundamentalist" does NOT exist. Of course...I can't possibly prove such a thing. I just take it on "faith".
Old 05-11-2020, 07:51 PM   #4782
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
We can't prove that aliens from other planets don't exist either. Does that mean that they exist? It seems to me that the burden of proof lies with those who claim that something EXISTS.
Boxcar thinks demons exist. Probably watched the Exorcist a few times too many.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #4783
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Boxcar thinks demons exist. Probably watched the Exorcist a few times too many.
The hearsay evidence that Boxcar relies on wouldn't even hold up in a KANGAROO court.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #4784
Light
Veteran

Quote:
I never said I could. Way back in the Religion 1 thread I identified as an agnostic.
I think being an agnostic is more compatible with science because true science is open minded.

Atheism seems to be a "religion" of "not believing" based on their conclusion that "seeing is believing" which science itself has shown to be very unreliable for detecting existence of energies (including God) and matter since 96% of the known universe is invisible according to scientists.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #4785
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Thank God for big favors. You sticking up for me would be analogous to the demons bearing witness to Jesus' divinity.
I stick up for everyone when it comes to their heart and soul. But I won't stick up for your ego.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: