Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #7801
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
"Without [real, true, genuine] faith, it's impossible to please God.
Does a single blood cell within your body please you? Do you care?

Maybe performing harmoniously within the "body of god" is enough.
.................................................. ..

"Practice is this life, and realization is this life, and this life is revealed right here and now."

- Maezumi Roshi
.................................................. ....
"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself."

- Shunryu Suzuki
.................................................. ....
The intuitive recognition of the instant, thus reality... is the highest act of wisdom.”

- D.T. Suzuki

Over analyzing with the intellect alone where the intellect does not belong shuts down what is needed to understand here and now. You cannot grasp the ineffable with your boxcarian egocentric mind derived from old tribal wisdom, which is only partially applicable nowadays. That wisdom is not formulated for today's word "grid"

Last edited by hcap; 08-17-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #7802
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
It really is burdensome to be a rational being, isn't it? Fortunately, for the above, they will never have to concern themselves with weighty questions of life. Meanwhile, most of us go on living life as though it has purpose and meaning while making our pilgrimage to the grave, never attaining to the true knowledge of what the reason for our existence was.
Yes, we go on living ‘as though it has purpose or meaning’...but that begs the questions, whose purpose? Whose meaning? If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, why isn’t purpose or meaning in the eye of the beholder also...?

And if there is a second beholder present, and a third, they might not feel the same way. It’s the same with the meaning/ purpose question...sure x,y, and z may have meaning FOR YOU...but that is not to say that x, y, and z are ABSOLUTELY THUS...it’s a matter of perspective.

I’m not saying that humans don’t need meaning nor create meaning for themselves, they obviously do. I’m saying that there appears to be no over-arching, blanket type purpose/ meanings that applies to everyone/ everything....

so a statement like “the universe was created to serve God’s infinite pleasure and that everyone must bow down to that idea or burn in Hell” that I would have an issue with because there is no evidence to support that statement...

Again, the question arises, what possible purpose or meaning could the universe have...? If one advances a conjecture, fine...but the evidence is lacking no matter what is advanced...there CAN be no real answer to a question that HAS no real answer.

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #7803
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Yes, we go on living ‘as though it has purpose or meaning’...but that begs the questions, whose purpose? Whose meaning? If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, why isn’t purpose or meaning in the eye of the beholder also...?

And if there is a second beholder present, and a third, they might not feel the same way. It’s the same with the meaning/ purpose question...sure x,y, and z may have meaning FOR YOU...but that is not to say that x, y, and z are ABSOLUTELY THUS...it’s a matter of perspective.

I’m not saying that humans don’t need meaning nor create meaning for themselves, they obviously do. I’m saying that there appears to be no over-arching, blanket type purpose/ meanings that applies to everyone/ everything....

so a statement like “the universe was created to serve God’s infinite pleasure and that everyone must bow down to that idea or burn in Hell” that I would have an issue with because there is no evidence to support that statement...

Again, the question arises, what possible purpose or meaning could the universe have...? If one advances a conjecture, fine...but the evidence is lacking no matter what is advanced...there CAN be no real answer to a question that HAS no real answer.
But there is a real answer.

1 Cor 10:31
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
NASB

Also, to further expand:

https://www.gotquestions.org/purpose-of-man.html
Old 08-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #7804
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
But there is a real answer.

1 Cor 10:31
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
NASB

Also, to further expand:

https://www.gotquestions.org/purpose-of-man.html
Ok so my purpose is to glorify god...that’s kind of limiting isn’t it?
A whole universe of possibllity waiting out there to explore...and my purpose is to glorify god...? So what does that look like...? What does the average day of god-glorifying imager consist of...? Frankly, I would rather take care of the father-less and widows...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-17-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #7805
thaskalos

Why is Gad so starved for adoration? Is this a reasonable mental state for an "all-powerful" and 'ever-loving' being to be in?
Old 08-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #7806
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

My point is that even if I worked my entire life supporting orphans and widows it would all be moot IF I hadn’t acknowledged and accepted Christ in my life as Lord and Savior, then I would still be unsaved and risk perdition, right...? Such is the only way to glorify god...in your view.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #7807
thaskalos

Quote:
A whole universe of possibllity waiting out there to explore...and my purpose is to glorify god...? So what does that look like...? What does the average day of god-glorifying imager consist of...? Frankly, I would rather take care of the father-less and widows...
What sort of "care" would you be providing for the widows?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #7808
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
well, you know, intellectual discussions over glasses of ovaltine...
Old 08-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #7809
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Gus, have you been able to read some of this free book below? It really is very interesting and I’ve already learned alot about the ancient Levitical sacrificial system having originated from the Canaanite system and for the most part identical with with...it basically proves that the Jewish system of sacrifice was just as pagan as the Canaanite system...I’d start reading on page 117...”sacrifices to the gods”

https://archive.org/stream/canaanite...hill#page/n235

P.s. there are tools on archive. Org to resize page and text for easier reading, try clicking the full page icon in the menu, or zoom.

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-17-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #7810
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And not all scientists in the religion of scientism ...
Define religion. Define scientism.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #7811
hcap

Quote:
I tried to shift the boxcarian obsession with "figuring out" the universe to the more Buddhist experiential "be here now".

Meaning can not be calculated especially using words. The word god alone is a problem invoking tons of memories and connotations and associations.

What is the meaning of riding a bicycle, whistling a tune, enjoying a painting?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:30 AM   #7812
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Your version is a product of your fantasies.
God lives within me as Jesus said. There is no fantasy required. I go within and he is there with his love, light and wisdom.

You on the other hand, haven't a clue who you are and require the fantasy of 2000 year old stories to define yourself. That is not who you are either because neither God nor your soul can be defined. This is my proof that you are lost.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #7813
boxcar

Quote:
Taking care of the "father-less and widows" would be a great place to start, as long as you're doing it to glorify God. But if you have other motives, then not so much.

I think 1 Corinthians 10 is pretty self-explanatory. For example, eating and drinking are everyday, "mundane" activities -- yet, even in those seemingly little things, we should glorify God -- with our thanksgiving, with our gratitude, with praise for his goodness by supplying our needes, etc. And the text goes on to say -- "in whatever you do". That's limiting!?

The central purpose to life is to live for God. We do that when we honor him, trust him, love him, be faithful to him, be loyal to him, commune with him and enjoy his presence in our life, etc. God desires to have a genuine relationship with those whom has had made in his image.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #7814
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
God lives within me as Jesus said. There is no fantasy required. I go within and he is there with his love, light and wisdom.

You on the other hand, haven't a clue who you are and require the fantasy of 2000 year old stories to define yourself. That is not who you are either because neither God nor your soul can be defined. This is my proof that you are lost.
But you just defined Him -- "love, light and wisdom" How do you objectively know that? You just contradicted yourself.

Furthermore, your' "best friend" Jesus doesn't have the low-gutter view of scripture that you have. How can you despise his revelation so much, apart from despising him the author?

You may indeed have a god living in you, but it's not the spirit of Christ; for it were you would have a very different attitude about scripture.

And you accuse me of being clueless because you think God hasn't been defined. Here's a newsflash for you: Jesus Christ himself defined God by his life, ministry, work on the cross and his resurrection!

John 14:8-12
8 Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works. 11 "Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me; otherwise believe on account of the works themselves.
NASB
Old 08-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #7815
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Define religion. Define scientism.
Beg, borrow, steal or buy a dictionary.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: