Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #16
GMB@BP

Ocrunk on Twitter has been posting the daily totals. It mirrors pretty much last year in terms of numbers, slight uptick. It all depends how you frame the stats to show gains.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #17
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Poindexter,

Since you quoted me...

Imo, one of the biggest problems isn't rebates per se, but rather the way tracks and horsemen have gone about addressing rebates.

Starting in about 2006, tracks and horsemen began working to implement source market fee.

For those who may not know:

Source market fee is a 'tax' on your handle that reduces rebates for small everyday players (but not big high volume players.)

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 90% or more of all players regularly posting here at Paceadvantage are prevented from getting rebates because of source market fee implemented by tracks and horsemen in state after state.

I once advocated for rebates because rebates are a form of reduced takeout.

At the time, I saw rebates as the only way the small everyday player could get reduced takeout.

But tracks and horsemen have clamped down on that by implementing source market fee in state after state.

At the same time (a few promotional wagers aside) tracks and horsemen have done little in the way of offering meaningful takeout reduction to the small everyday player on the bets that (Imo) really matter: WIN and EXACTA.

And because whale teams have the wherewithal to be located overseas - they are not subject to state source market fee.

The end result is an unlevel playing field.

The sophisticated large volume whale team not only has access to CRW - but also enjoys a much lower net effective takeout on all wager types than the small everyday player armed with a copy of the DRF and a ballpoint pen.

I'd be ok if rebates were completely eliminated:

IF TRACKS AND HORSEMEN CREATED A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD BY REDUCING TAKEOUT ON ALL WAGERS TO THE SAME NET EFFECTIVE TAKEOUT CURRENTLY ENJOYED BY THE WHALE TEAMS.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 07-15-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #18
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Poindexter,

Since you quoted me...

Imo, one of the biggest problems isn't rebates per se, but rather the way tracks and horsemen have gone about addressing rebates.

Starting in about 2006, tracks and horsemen began working to implement source market fee.

For those who may not know:

Source market fee is a 'tax' on your handle that reduces rebates for small everyday players (but not big high volume players.)

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 90% or more of all players regularly posting here at Paceadvantage are prevented from getting rebates because of source market fee implemented by tracks and horsemen in state after state.

I once advocated for rebates because rebates are a form of reduced takeout.

At the time, I saw rebates as the only way the small everyday player could get reduced takeout.

But tracks and horsemen have clamped down on that by implementing source market fee in state after state.

At the same time (a few promotional wagers aside) tracks and horsemen have done little in the way of offering meaningful takeout reduction to the small everyday player on the bets that (Imo) really matter: WIN and EXACTA.

And because whale teams have the wherewithal to be located overseas - they are not subject to state source market fee.

The end result is an unlevel playing field.

I'd be ok if rebates were completely eliminated:

IF TRACKS AND HORSEMEN CREATED A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD BY REDUCING TAKEOUT ON ALL WAGERS TO THE SAME NET EFFECTIVE TAKEOUT CURRENTLY ENJOYED BY THE WHALE TEAMS.

-jp

My conclusion is that 8% wps takeout and 12% exotic takeout with the elimination of rebates is appropriate. I could even accept a little higher takeout on pick 4's and above, maybe up to 14 or 15%. I don't know how that compares to the net effective takeout of whale teams currently, but in my mind that takeout would maximize the growth of this game, while preserving a decent profit margin for the racetrack. So what exactly is the logic of a system that prevents 90% (your number not mine) of avid horse players from getting rebates while whales (the sharpest horseplayers in the land) are able to get huge rebates and make it much harder for the non rebated player to even reach the break even plateau let alone win?
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #19
Poindexter

Just to illustrate my point. When I was in Vegas I was playing on one of those $1 minimum blackjack slot machines. It is basically simulated blackjack. Now I have no idea how these things are programmed(do they actually simulate a deck of cards and deal or is it programmed to win a certain percentage of time and lose a certain percentage of the time and the rest is theater-I have no idea). But the point is that some guy comes by (I think 2 players can play at a time on it) and is watching me play. He watches about 10 hands or so where the dealer is getting mostly 20's and 21's and then he seems my 20 against a dealers 16 get beat by the dealer pulling a 5 and getting 21, and he shakes his head and walks away. He wasn't even the one losing, but the game looked rigged to him and he had enough.

My belief is that racing does this to people all the time either consciously or unconsciously. I also believe that the high(excessive) takeout combined with the added advantage of rebates to whales make the takeout unconscionable. This is why people that go to the races are consistently walking away from this game just like the guy walked away from the blackjack machine shaking his head. This is why I am very persistent in my stance. This can be an incredible game and the powers that be just choose to screw it up. Sounds like another group of folks (won't mention who they are in this forum ).
Old 07-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If we learned anything from this past few months, by law, only OP and TAM and FON should be allowed to run from January through June from now on.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #21
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Just to illustrate my point. When I was in Vegas I was playing on one of those $1 minimum blackjack slot machines. It is basically simulated blackjack. Now I have no idea how these things are programmed(do they actually simulate a deck of cards and deal or is it programmed to win a certain percentage of time and lose a certain percentage of the time and the rest is theater-I have no idea). But the point is that some guy comes by (I think 2 players can play at a time on it) and is watching me play. He watches about 10 hands or so where the dealer is getting mostly 20's and 21's and then he seems my 20 against a dealers 16 get beat by the dealer pulling a 5 and getting 21, and he shakes his head and walks away. He wasn't even the one losing, but the game looked rigged to him and he had enough.

Legally the machines have to simulate an actual deck of cards however I believe most shuffle after each hand/round. So there is no way of counting the computer. Same thing with Video poker.

I get your point though the same thing can happen at a table.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #22
tbwinner

Don't forget a lot of sports bettors took up stock and options trading!
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #23
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Don't forget a lot of sports bettors took up stock and options trading!
That is what happens when you overprice your game, people find better/other options. You just gave the racing execs a new excuse. They love excuses. "we had this golden opportunity when everyone was stuck at home with nothing to do but bet horses and that damn stock market got in the way, we just can't get a break....."
Old 07-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #24
Parkview_Pirate

anything but rosy

My two cents - the long term outlook is pretty bleak, especially for the smaller operators that had to sit on the sidelines for a few months. Santa Anita's re-opening was disappointing - with mostly unbettable cards after opening day. Del Mar off to a rough start, and with PITA and the costs, racing in Californy is in peril. Very suspicious rides at Tam and GP when they were a couple of the only tracks running - boat rides and strangles galore, IMHO.

I've been suggesting for years that racing in North America is headed for what passes for the sport in South America - very high takeout, and very low quality horses. COVID has accelerated the timeline of decline, significantly. There's too much greed and graft for takeouts to be reduced, rebates to be eliminated, or drug testing to become effective. The status quo of the movers and shakers in racing are parasitic barnacles, bent on killing the host.

I play a card or contest here and there, but mostly on overseas racing. Like ronsmac pointed out, there seem to be very few new fans - I can only think of one under 40 off the top of my head that I know, and he bets more on sports.

Enjoy it while you can....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #25
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
What is amazing? That with everyone ordered to stay at home that nationwide handle is back to normal. As touched in on my last post the best way to minimize the late odds swings is to reduce takeout and eliminate rebates and that coincidentally (lowering takeout and eliminating rebates) is the only way this sport will ever see any kind of major growth period. As long as we live in the world of high takeouts and rebates this sport will never maximize it's potential.

Because of the parimutuel betting format, every player that does better than the track take and also gets rebates is increasing the takeout on the rest(I have illustrated this in too many posts in the past) When you already have excessive takeout to begin with the effects of all of this means the game becomes too hard for new blood to compete enough to enjoy the game. It is really this simple.

90% of the audience here has zero understanding that all that matters is revenue from handle. The raw handle numbers fed to CNN and anybody else who cares to look them up are barely even tethered to the bottom line, particularly in times like these (where nobody is on track, and all gate and concessions income is gone).

Most of these tracks are getting creamed in present day 2020 and are staying open merely because something offered to their horsemen (and to scant few employees) in an empty box is better than doing exactly nothing with an empty box while still paying rent/taxes/mortgage on it.

As for your last part, it isn't precisely because of the parimutuel betting format. That's like blaming the teeter-totter for the fat kid on one end of it.

The more appropriate targets for that ire are track operators who still refuse to play to their strengths instead of to their weaknesses. And it has zero to do with the takeout as well. (for the point you think you understand would be parallel no matter whether the takeout were 20% or 2%)

In teeter-totter terms, racing has invited scores of would-be fat kids to load on one side of the teeter-totter while racing and the fat kids just sit there wondering why nobody will get on the other end. The rebates and the direct computer lines into the pools (which are more the cause of those seeming past-posting wagers which really aren't past post than random whales could ever be (without those computer tie-ins)) only exacerbate the problem.

The computer guys, betting at the end, are betting the overlays and getting the full odds picture back in-line with what it should be... thus they are doing most of their playing when the live horses are an overlay, and are noticed by everyone almost exclusively in similar circumstances. (nobody cares when a 21-to-1 shot moves to 47-to-1 on the far turn and then runs eighth)

Back in the 1970's, the distribution of wagering humanity was far more near to equal on both sides of the teeter-totter, and thus John Q. Public could more easily with$tand the typical $helling he might endure on his first few trips to the track. It was track management alone who evolved to seal its own 2020 fate over the past 30 or 40 years by catering only to the tiny sliver of the fanbase and giving only the finger to everyone else. (well, now it's 2020 and everyone else left - and track management did this to themselves, to some degree without even understanding what their actions were doing to them)

The obvious way to correct the stupidity is to support the other end of the teeter-totter, which is what racing should have begun in earnest three decades ago.

The first result of this done properly is that one by one, the rebate people who are barely able to make it in 2020 will fall into to proverbial tank, as John Q. Public at large begins to know a fighting chance for the first time in his racing life. With time, the next set of barely-above-barely-making-it rebaters will fall into the tank, and the rest of the public at large will collectively move higher (in terms of ROI).

In due time a far more competitive game will be genuinely approachable by the semi-intelligent non-players out there who now are far too wise to step-in and prep for the ass-rattling that is their only possible outcome in 2020 (whenever the fat kids decide to step off the teeter-totter for a moment, to go and cash another windfall).

The horse racing venue is the rare business in society which does precisely nothing for its customers, and they continue to wonder aloud, and to themselves why their businesses are dying. The horsemen are putting on the show, the bettors are playing and bickering among themselves, while those operating the venues just stand around with their hands out.

The most horse racing can hope to gain from Covid 2020 is renewed exposure and a lack of competition for entertainment... but every dollar wagered brings only a relative pittance into track coffers under these make-do conditions, so nobody is making any money, and horsemen are (or should be) somewhat thrilled to be getting anywhere near their annual purse revenue.

All while the habitually clueless remain as clueless as ever about all of this.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 02:41 AM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You're still here?
Old 07-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #27
westernmassbob

It wasn’t so long ago before covid 19 that everyone was talking about the demise of horse racing. The hot topic was horses breaking down and a call to ban this great sport. I even remember Vic Stauffer tweeting out something like “ this is the beginning on the end”. My oh my how quickly things have changed.

In any event no matter how much is bet off track the owners of racetracks are still getting crushed. No on track wagering is a major blow because they get to keep the full take out on that money wagered.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #28
burnsy
self medicated

People talk about take out , field size and all the parameters of betting horses that actual horse players think about. You have to get to the point of caring about that stuff by being a horse player. The average Joe could give a shit about those things. They’ll dump a hundred into a slot machine and not even question the take out.

The problem with horse racing and I’ll admit I don’t have all the answers but they got to figure out. The perception by folks that it’s complicated, which it is. Some even think it’s crooked cause they watch CNN. And face it, the biggest have gotten caught. Most of these folks don’t want to spend hours reading a form when they can make wagers in a matter of seconds without thinking and may hit a jackpot. Of course the chances are remote but they buy into the dream. Lotto and numbers are the same concept. They could care less what the state’s take. For a great majority of people you are selling a bet, a gamble , an instant dream come true. That’s the society we live in. Until horse racing figures out how to tackle that kind of mentality, which I don’t know how, it will remain stuck in the status it’s acquired. A few young people that become old people with more money to bet. That’s the pattern. The general public jumps on board during big or special events. Day to day....... they could give a crap about horse racing. Quote all the parameters of gaming you want..... that’s reality

Last edited by burnsy; 07-16-2020 at 07:04 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #29
Parkview_Pirate

It's sad, for those of us old enough to remember racing back in the '80s. I agree with Mr. Haskin that the model that was adopted for the game has turned out badly, though some of what has contributed to the decline in the game is outside of anyone's control. The culture for it has dissipated. There's only a couple of hot spots any longer, like in Hong Kong.

Yesterday's opener at the Spa wasn't so bad for a Thursday, though a 4 horse field is not nearly as thrilling as led to believe by the announcer. And I say that with NYRA being my favorite circuit in North America. Five of the ten races today have less than eight horses. Really? Opening Friday at Saratoga? Yikes!
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #30
KingAnon

I like horse racing and wrestling, and both are dying and will eventually be dead. The interest is just not there and the media makes horse racing seem like a thoroughbred genocide to the average person. Within the next 50 years, there's only going to be a few tracks left, if its not completely barred. At least we will always have Japan and Hong Kong though.

I'm younger. I don't know anyone who watches horse racing, nor even know anyone who knows anyone who watches horse racing. People my age don't bet on horse racing, they bet on loot crates and gacha video games. And with all of the sports channels/sites promoting betting on games, it's going to be harder and harder as the older folks pass away.

I don't know how you reverse the trend or if you even can, but I know as a casual person, it didn't make any real strides during the lockdown.

Last edited by KingAnon; 07-19-2020 at 11:32 AM.
KingAnon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: