Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
johnhannibalsmith

Looks like it was a bit of a rainy day on March 5 in Hot Springs, humidity could have been really high for parts of the day - just one of many possible influences that will possibly exacerbate the disposition. Even if you think Van Berg has lost his touch, he's seen a whole lot of bleeders of all stripes in several dozen handfuls of situations, I have to believe. I haven't looked at the race and doesn't sound like this is a lot of horse anyway, but if I were going to make an allowance for experience with the situation and liked the horse in the race, this is probably an example of a trainer whom I could be compelled to trust in judgment that the horse is as ready as he ever is.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
there are other bleeder medications that can be given in addition to lasix or along with lasix.
Not legally in Arkansas, which adopted third party Lasix administration a couple of years ago.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Looks like it was a bit of a rainy day on March 5 in Hot Springs, humidity could have been really high for parts of the day - just one of many possible influences that will possibly exacerbate the disposition. Even if you think Van Berg has lost his touch, he's seen a whole lot of bleeders of all stripes in several dozen handfuls of situations, I have to believe. I haven't looked at the race and doesn't sound like this is a lot of horse anyway, but if I were going to make an allowance for experience with the situation and liked the horse in the race, this is probably an example of a trainer whom I could be compelled to trust in judgment that the horse is as ready as he ever is.
You could be right. I think for sanity sakes I am going to have to place a few dollars on this one. I was hoping they scratched her out but they didn't. I can't put my finger on what it is I like about her but at a morning line of 12-1 and after going off the previous race as a favorite in a entry I have to take a shot at a price.
razor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #19
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Yes, speaking generally again since there are probably exceptions scattered about, there is usually a 'jail' period for bleeding through lasix. As in, the horse is on the bleeder/vet list and can't be entered for 15 days, then it goes to 30 days, then something like 90, graduating upward for repeat events within a given time period. More or less, you get a chance to get it under control but you can't push it wily nily, and with each failed attempt at correcting it, you are being coerced to quit on the horse if you can't come up with the idea on your own.
Once had a mare that was a bleeder. Raced over 60 times, bled on lasix 4 times.

She was an iron horse, so when she didn't bleed on lasix, she was good to go a week later. However if she bled on lasix, you would see a layoff line, never won in those 4 starts after bleeding (did run a decent second once)

I would be leery but not an auto toss out.

Btw the stewards never found out about any of the 4 bleeding incidents.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #20
Valuist

When I see or hear a horse has bled thru Lasix, they are an automatic no-bet. If Lasix can't stop them from bleeding once, they are a candidate to bleed thru it every time.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply