Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
razor

An Introduction

Hello to everyone
I finally decided to take the plunge and sign up to this website. I have been
visiting and reading the going's on here for many many years. I'm a recreational
player but a hard core reader so I stuck to just reading here.

I started playing the horses when I was around 12 or 13. My track was the
sadly missed Ak-Sar-Ben in Omaha. I would go there every day when I got old enough to go. (well actually I had fake ID and looked older than I was). What
got me hooked on the races was my best friends dad was a horseplayer and
the Ak-Sar-Ben track had infield parking. So me and my best friend would go with him and sit on top the car and watch the races. His dad would run bets for us and come back out and give us the tickets. My first bet was a win and place on Pepper Man and it won. I thought this stuff is easy. Boy I had a rude awakening.

From that point on I was hooked. My friend and I would go up to Fonner Park which also started the Nebraska racing season and make notes to prepare for when they came to Ak-Sar-Ben. God those were good times that you can only relive in your dreams.

My senior year in high school my friend and I were in the same class together that was just one of those classes you took to fill in the day (Far-East history or some crap). My friend and I would be reading the racing form before class and also under our book during class. Well come to find out the teacher was just starting to get into horse racing and saw we had the racing form. He would ask us who we like and we would give him some horses. Well lo and behold several of them won and we were on easy street the rest of that class. He let us read the form during class and no homework due and gave us a passing grade. To this day I have never needed to know much about Far East history to make it through life so its all good.

After graduation I was working construction as a laborer and eventually a brick layer. Nebraska winters are pretty harsh and you aren't doing much construction work during that time. The boss let us sign up for un-employment benefits for like Jan thru March. We didn't have to be out looking for jobs during that time cause we had a job when the weather broke so we weren't required to turn in places we applied. So my friend and I would head to Oaklawn and a few times venture down to New orleans and the Fairgrounds. Good times except for one time in Hot Springs that involved the cops that is to convoluted to get into now.
Maybe another time.

Anyway I'm rambling and I know you got better things to do than read my auto-biography. So again just want to say hi and I will try to avoid some of the shit-storms that I have seen transpire on here over the years. Fascinating reading though.

Best of luck...Razor
razor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
CincyHorseplayer

Welcome aboard brother! Great place overall. Speeds up the learning by light years.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
cnollfan

Hey Razor,

I have spent many a day at Ak-Sar-Ben, Oaklawn Park, Fair Grounds, and Fonner. I'm sure we bumped elbows without knowing it.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Welcome to the jungle razor!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
wisconsin

Welcome!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
MonmouthParkJoe

Great intro, and welcome. Lots of good people on board here, and of course the shit storms are always amusing.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
razor

Thanks Cincy I'm always willing to learn
Old 03-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
razor

Cnollfan,

I'm sure we have met Ak-Sar-Ben was my summer home. Was there every day the meet ran up until I moved to Indy in 87 when my job took me there. I even tried working the backside one year for Louis Brandt (whatever happened to him?) Thanks for the welcome.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Welcome Razor !

I really liked and enjoyed hearing about your youth and "the game". Welcome to the board officially!

I hope you enjoy the ride
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
razor

PA,

Thanks for the welcome and for this great site. It's been my go-to site multiple times a day to see who's on who's ass in the jungle.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
razor

Thanks Wisconsin appreciate the welcome
Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
razor

Monmouth Park Joe

For sure on the good people. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that know there stuff.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #13
razor

EMD4ME

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for playing a big role in the fascinating reading that takes place here. You seem to have a large following good and bad. Hope the good outweighs the bad for you.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
no breathalyzer
Veteran

welcome razor
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
jahura2

Welcome Razor. this place is definitely worth the price of admission! You might just learn a few things too. I know I have.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: