Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

As far as Cox and Haskin go, we all get duped sooner or later. I don't think either one of those guys were trying to deceive anyone or in any way benefited.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #32
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
As far as Cox and Haskin go, we all get duped sooner or later. I don't think either one of those guys were trying to deceive anyone or in any way benefited.
Sure I could have been duped too, but I sure as hell would have owned up to it.

I think BH was trying to deceive by their attempt to bury Haskin's story. So many people (including me) have lost all respect for Steve. Just man up, don't deactivate your twitter account and hide under your bed.

Cox was promoting iCareIhelp AFTER the original Paulick article came out and is reportedly on the board at the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance. The TAA has 64 accredited rescues and ICareIHelp has never been one. Who is that dumb?

Crickets from him.

Dina's behavior has been beyond erratic. It's scary.

There are horses suffering, reportedly some missing, and I have a feeling this is only going to get uglier.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #33
pat

Where is it documented that Kevin Cox is on any board. youve stated it more than once . Kevin Cox solicits donations for many charitable organizations from animals to veterans. and also donates a significant portion of his winnings at times.
This story concerning Icarehelp has been blown out of proportion by many. My personal belief is that Dina cares greatly for these horses and probably bit off more than she can chew. I also would be shocked if there was any personal gain except for the love of these abandoned horses by Dina. and NO I dont know or have ever met her.
Why are we not assigning the blame where it belongs to Breeders, Owners and Trainers who make all the $$$ then abandon them when their no longer useful.
pat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #34
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Where is it documented that Kevin Cox is on any board. youve stated it more than once . Kevin Cox solicits donations for many charitable organizations from animals to veterans. and also donates a significant portion of his winnings at times.
This story concerning Icarehelp has been blown out of proportion by many. My personal belief is that Dina cares greatly for these horses and probably bit off more than she can chew. I also would be shocked if there was any personal gain except for the love of these abandoned horses by Dina. and NO I dont know or have ever met her.
Why are we not assigning the blame where it belongs to Breeders, Owners and Trainers who make all the $$$ then abandon them when their no longer useful.
From his Twitter profile
Advisory Board for Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance & Old Friends at Cabin Creek
Old 09-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #35
turfnsport

Quote:
My personal belief is that Dina cares greatly for these horses and probably bit off more than she can chew.
This was my feeling at first.

I am no longer of that opinion.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #36
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
You're kidding, right? She's been to LA twice. Once at the beginning of her partnership with Hal, and then to meet up with the CBS people she thought was going to do a story on her. Not once after all the many reports of how bad her horses were coming out of there did she go and check on the condition of the horses. Nor did she send anyone to check on the condition of the horses.

Why did she almost exclusively bail from Thompson, the one guy who doesn't have a slaughter contract and buys all his stock at auction for over the slaughter price? Why didn't she even once go to the auction to outbid Thompson? She knew where he got the horses every monday and Tuesday at Dominique's auction.

Why did she call Thompson to complain about the LA TBA guy who was trying to get her to move to new care/facilities that were better for the horses? Doesn't that prove her relationship was pretty buddy buddy with Thompson? Along with buying almost only from him?

Who in their right mind sets up a supposed rescue and hires a former kill lot employee?

Finally, why won't she release the bank statements to show how much money she brought in in donations? She wouldn't even release that information for her Treasurer.

You aren't looking rationally at the facts if you think this woman is anything more than a con.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #37
vegasone

What they need is some sort of “pension” plan funded by a small percentage of any winnings.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #38
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
What they need is some sort of “pension” plan funded by a small percentage of any winnings.
cool idea. but where would you keep these horses?
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #39
Frost king

What needs to happen, is that when you register the foal papers with the JC, they collect an amount, that would be enough to cover the cost of a humane euthanasia and proper disposal of the carcass. That way, you just call the vet, and have things taken care of. It will eliminate a lot of the cheap horses that end up in the slaughter pipeline. There would be no incentive, to keep a backyard stallion, to breed to your lawn ornaments in the pasture.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #40
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
What needs to happen, is that when you register the foal papers with the JC, they collect an amount, that would be enough to cover the cost of a humane euthanasia and proper disposal of the carcass. That way, you just call the vet, and have things taken care of. It will eliminate a lot of the cheap horses that end up in the slaughter pipeline. There would be no incentive, to keep a backyard stallion, to breed to your lawn ornaments in the pasture.
But they send the horses to slaughter because they get paid for that. They don't get paid to euthanize it.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #41
clicknow

never mind

I was reading this topic for a while:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ight=slaughter

Last edited by clicknow; 09-07-2018 at 10:40 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #42
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
I used to think that was a great idea. What will happen is that somebody will take that money to "retire" a horse, then a year later you will find those "retired" horses out at farms in middle of nowhere, starving to death, or neglected and needing veterinary care.

As the years go by.........you know........

I don't know Dina and I don't know the story firsthand, but if she did get in over her head, she won't be the first person in any kind of animal rescue to have that happen to.

You can't take care of problems like this on a shoestring without staff and an actual budget, as well as solid regulations and laws to help you and support you, good legal staff and a good board of directors who stands behind your efforts, etc. I've also seen various rescue orgs, who should all be working toward the same goals, "go after" each other due to ego, etc.

It's like throwing somebody to the dogs otherwise.

Last edited by clicknow; 09-07-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #43
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
This sport is so broken.
BEST comment in the topic so far.

This situation is just another ugly symptom.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #44
chadk66

The biggest problem is the sheer volume of horses that careers end each year.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #45
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
That was my thinking as well.

Horses are expensive to keep, there will *never* be enough homes for the unsound ones, and fewer and fewer people have the pasture / space for lawn ornaments.

Horses should have a good life, they should not suffer tortuous trips to Mexico in tractor trailer trucks where they are bitten, kicked, injured, dehydrated, etc. w/zero veterinary care, then thrown into a feedlot to spend their last days in abject suffering before they are slaughtered.

Horses are far too magnificent creatures for that kind of end.

We are supposedly "civilized" people.....who live in a civilized nation?

surely between the breeders, owners, trainers, they can come up with some kind of plan? I also think horses themselves should "earn" a stipend for every race they run, whether they win or lose, every time saddled and carrying a human on their backs, and that $$ should also be in a special fund for their aftercare/euthanasia. (Otherwise, humans will just steal it).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: