Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #31
GMB@BP

Such a different mindset handicapping for these tourneys.

There is race at SA Thursday. There is a very very likely winner who will be about 8/5 or so, but tough to bet in any tourney.

The second choice wont be far behind, and does have a solid shot at 2/1.

So how do these horses lose, well the best horse likely gets cooked in a race that it does not look like that should happen. If it does it should set it up for the 2/1 horse but I can poke a few holes in the form of the horse.

If the duel does happen it sets up for two others who are both about 8/1, now its just a matter of picking one of them.

I love coming up with race flow or form scenarios to find longshots, its always been a strength but can be a bit tough on the wallet when you go cold, this gives you a bit of incentive to be creative.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #32
GMB@BP

So I guessed I missed this but DerbyWars does not have Santa Anita or any other Stronarch tracks?

Is this a case where your ADW supports only certain tracks like the old days?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 PM   #33
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
So I guessed I missed this but DerbyWars does not have Santa Anita or any other Stronarch tracks?

Is this a case where your ADW supports only certain tracks like the old days?
I believe Derby Wars and HorseTourneys are now only using tracks with which they've negotiated a fee structure for the use of the track's product...and this was done only after Derby Wars lost the lawsuit that Stronach initiated against it. You can play Santa Anita on HT.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #34
green80

tried my hand at it, some of these guys are good. Someone may want to correct me on this, but it looks like with Derbywars, if you can win 60% of your head to head tournaments, you can make about 9% on your money.

Last edited by green80; 10-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #35
tanner12oz

I haven't been able to crack the code on these yet. Can't figure out if the key is picking winners, picking prices or what. Been playing middle of the board type shots with little success.
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #36
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
I haven't been able to crack the code on these yet. Can't figure out if the key is picking winners, picking prices or what. Been playing middle of the board type shots with little success.
I am 2-1 and heading for a loss today (guy picked the first 4 winners at SA), though I got two bombs left.

It does seem tough, in head 2 head pick and pray I think the key is winners. I lost my first contest with 1 middle priced horse win to a guy who picked likely horses and had 3 winners to edge me.

Its great to have some longshots and obviously the larger the field the more likely prices you are going to need...small fields, winners is all i am thinking from here on out.

My handicapping has been trash, so trash lately its making me think about quitting and just watching the sport for fun again.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #37
Parkview_Pirate

Just was notified today that as a Washington State resident, I can no longer play the contests at Horse Tourneys and Horse Players. Washington residents were already restricted to deposit only accounts, which wasn't that big a deal for me, as I've been mostly playing in the NHC feeders and qualifiers.

I went through this kinda crap back in Illinois, so now I've got another state to boycott their racing, as it's the Washington State Racing Commission lowering the boom. So, I'll be inclined to cut way back on my ADW wagering as well, and heading across the river to Portland Meadows for any significant wagering (like Breeders Cup).

No EMD4ME......<sigh....>
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #38
Si2see

A little late to the party here but I will vouch 110% for Horse Tourneys.

I have been to Las Vegas 12 times since March 2014.

8 of the 12 trips I have at least won the entry fee for the Vegas tournament via HT, and several times the entire trip was paid for via qualifying on HT.

Play with confidence, what you see is what you get

Jason
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #39
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see View Post

8 of the 12 trips I have at least won the entry fee for the Vegas tournament via HT, and several times the entire trip was paid for via qualifying on HT.

Jason
I will have to check it out, Vegas is super easy for me.

so far I am 4-2 but most have been head to head pick and pray style which probably wont work long term.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #40
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:

Jason
I don't know if there are any fellow Washingtonians here at PaceAdvantage, but if there are please note that we are O-U-T at Horse Tourneys. It seems that our state's AG has leaned on McKay Smith in a bad way and the result is that Washington players can no longer participate in HT contests. It's really a bummer because I really enjoy playing in the contests. Much more so than wagering these days.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #41
sammy the sage

this was/is a good thread
Old 10-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #42
Si2see

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I will have to check it out, Vegas is super easy for me.

so far I am 4-2 but most have been head to head pick and pray style which probably wont work long term.

Without trying to sound like an A-hole I don't waste time with the head to head games, that is way too much of a grinding it out style for me.

If you have the time during the week days ( which I don't unfortunately ), use that same buy in money to play in as many cheap qualifiers for the high buy in weekend games, basically Chris Moneymaker style back in the poker days.

I normally just buy in to the weekend game directly for whatever tournament I am trying to qualify for ( typically the next on the schedule that I can make it to )

Like I mentioned before if you qualify for an entry rest assured everything is handled when you walk up to register at the live event. Horse tourneys takes care of all of that for you, and normally the hotel staff will even email you to let you know about discounted rates during the tournament if you don't have comps to take care of it.

Also speaking of comps and the live vegas tournaments themselves, they make their money on the handle wagered through their windows during that weekend. That is why some of the future Boyd Gaming tournaments are in jeopardy because even with participation being down, that hurts them more because money through the windows is down also. Keep in mind when you play through their tellers always make sure to have them swipe your card with each and every wager. Typically when I stayed at the hotel the tournament was being held I always got at least Saturday night comped because of my action, sometimes 2 or 3 days comped.

Good luck let me know if you have any questions.
Jason
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #43
Afleet

surprised there was no Remington contest tonight-guess there is no demand
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #44
GMB@BP

Quote:
Without trying to sound like an A-hole I don't waste time with the head to head games, that is way too much of a grinding it out style for me.

If you have the time during the week days ( which I don't unfortunately ), use that same buy in money to play in as many cheap qualifiers for the high buy in weekend games, basically Chris Moneymaker style back in the poker days.

I normally just buy in to the weekend game directly for whatever tournament I am trying to qualify for ( typically the next on the schedule that I can make it to )

Like I mentioned before if you qualify for an entry rest assured everything is handled when you walk up to register at the live event. Horse tourneys takes care of all of that for you, and normally the hotel staff will even email you to let you know about discounted rates during the tournament if you don't have comps to take care of it.

Also speaking of comps and the live vegas tournaments themselves, they make their money on the handle wagered through their windows during that weekend. That is why some of the future Boyd Gaming tournaments are in jeopardy because even with participation being down, that hurts them more because money through the windows is down also. Keep in mind when you play through their tellers always make sure to have them swipe your card with each and every wager. Typically when I stayed at the hotel the tournament was being held I always got at least Saturday night comped because of my action, sometimes 2 or 3 days comped.

Good luck let me know if you have any questions.
Jason
Thanks, your not sounding like an a##

Yea, I ran the numbers on the head to heads and to make money you have to win at a pretty high percentage at low yields.

I jut want to get a feel for things before taking on bigger fish.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #45
Afleet

2017-10-21 02:13 PM NEW: $750 GAME TOP 3 SPLIT* (WPS) KEE Last 8
2nd - $68.00
$180.00

yeah I won; it was nip and tuck all the way to the end. I like these top 3 split contests. Don't have to win, just finish in top 3. Contest didn't fill completely so $180 instead of $250.00

very tight finish
1$ tcat(1) 5 68.20
2$ afleet(1) 5 68.00
3$ palletman17(1) 5 64.30
4jj529ko(1) 7 56.80
5amxxv25(1) 5 56.10
6breadline(1) 3 55.80
7saratoga1(1) 3 48.40
8zeezee(1) 11 32.60
9medicor1(1) 7 32.40
10maximus(1) 2 29.70
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply