Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
Teach

Change the Field Goal

I’m a big fan of innovation. Many enterprises, over the years, have failed because they have failed to change. Times are constantly changing. Companies that keep up with or get out in front of these changes are usually the ones that succeed, i.e., Amazon talks about using drones.

I believe that the NFL Rules Committee meets in March. They should have a lot on their plate. I’d like to suggest “another course”. The goal-posts. The PAT.
As I understand it, the NFL has experimented this year with the extra-point by pushing the line-of-scrimmage back to the 15-yard line. That means that the kick will likely come from 23-yard line, a 33-yard extra-point. That has resulted in some missed extra points. It’s no longer a virtual “gimme”.

I suggest a further “tinkering”: adjustable goal-posts. As I understand it, the distance between uprights is 18-feet, 6-inches. But, how about narrowing that distance or increasing it? That can be easily accomplished in a matter of seconds with “adjustable” uprights.

For example, an attempted field goal between the goal-line and 15-yard line would see the goal-posts narrowed to say 13 to 15 feet apart. Between the 16-yard line and 30-yard line, the goal-posts would stay as they are. Between the 31-yard line and 40-yard line (the shortest attempt would be a 49-yarder), the goal-posts could be widened to say 20 feet apart. Beyond that, a ball that’s placed on any yard-marker beyond the 40-yard line (an approximately 60-yard kick) would see the goalposts widened to say 23 to 25 feet apart.

Just an innovative thought to add a further “spark” to professional football.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
I’m a big fan of innovation. Many enterprises, over the years, have failed because they have failed to change. Times are constantly changing. Companies that keep up with or get out in front of these changes are usually the ones that succeed, i.e., Amazon talks about using drones.

I believe that the NFL Rules Committee meets in March. They should have a lot on their plate. I’d like to suggest “another course”. The goal-posts. The PAT.
As I understand it, the NFL has experimented this year with the extra-point by pushing the line-of-scrimmage back to the 15-yard line. That means that the kick will likely come from 23-yard line, a 33-yard extra-point. That has resulted in some missed extra points. It’s no longer a virtual “gimme”.

I suggest a further “tinkering”: adjustable goal-posts. As I understand it, the distance between uprights is 18-feet, 6-inches. But, how about narrowing that distance or increasing it? That can be easily accomplished in a matter of seconds with “adjustable” uprights.

For example, an attempted field goal between the goal-line and 15-yard line would see the goal-posts narrowed to say 13 to 15 feet apart. Between the 16-yard line and 30-yard line, the goal-posts would stay as they are. Between the 31-yard line and 40-yard line (the shortest attempt would be a 49-yarder), the goal-posts could be widened to say 20 feet apart. Beyond that, a ball that’s placed on any yard-marker beyond the 40-yard line (an approximately 60-yard kick) would see the goalposts widened to say 23 to 25 feet apart.

Just an innovative thought to add a further “spark” to professional football.
Sounds interesting but what if the goal posts malfunction when they are to be moved? You just know that Bill Bellichick will have someone at the fuse box when his team needs a crucial field goal.

BTW, the extra point was moved back to the 15 yard line in 2015, it's more than a one year experiment.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post

Sounds interesting but what if the goal posts malfunction when they are to be moved? You just know that Bill Bellichick will have someone at the fuse box when his team needs a crucial field goal.

BTW, the extra point was moved back to the 15 yard line in 2015, it's more than a one year experiment.
The distance would have to be tied to how soft Bellichick's balls are that day.
Softer balls will be smaller and give them an advantage!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
elhelmete

Let's add a pirate ship and a windmill at the 50yd line too.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
headhawg
crusty old guy

This is not new, but I like the idea of different distances having different point values. "Gimmes" could be one or two points, 60+ could be four or five, and everything else just three. Could make decisions more interesting on 4th down.

Oh yeah...one more additional rule for Bears fans: if the kicker calls his "doink" then it counts for four. Calling double doinks are seven.

Effing Parkey would be the first $6 million dollar/year kicker.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Let's add a pirate ship and a windmill at the 50yd line too.
Classic. Pure gold.

Hope people get the message, but that's a stretch.

"Change this, change that, replay every call on the field". .... Enough already.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post

Further proof Teach hasn't paid attention to nfl games the past three years. From his post, the nfl "experimented" the rule this season. To say he's not a knowledgeable fan of the game would be an understatement.

Last edited by ElKabong; 01-28-2019 at 11:42 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
elhelmete

Countdown to "The Patriots are cheaters!!!!" in 5....4.....3....2....1.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
ultracapper

Keep the goal posts as is, but a point scale related to distance kind of sounds fun. We already do that in the FF format I play in. Make a FG worth 2 pts inside of 25 yards, and you could see the offense staying on the field a lot more on 4th and goal to go from the 4 yrd line. Make 55 yrds plus worth 4 pts, and the FG kicker with the big leg becomes a lot more valuable. You can't make a FG worth any more than 4 pts or it would cheapen TDs in my opinion.

A team behind by 4 with 18 seconds left on the opposition's 29 yard line would have to decide whether to toss long to the endzone, or take a 10 yard "kneel' to set up a 55 plus FG.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
metro

How much time does it take to get the goal posts the correct distance apart? Couple of minutes? What happens if there is a false start and they need to adjust them again for the extra 5 yards? Couple more minutes?

Interesting idea but it would just make an already long contest even longer.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Keep the goal posts as is, but a point scale related to distance kind of sounds fun. We already do that in the FF format I play in. Make a FG worth 2 pts inside of 25 yards, and you could see the offense staying on the field a lot more on 4th and goal to go from the 4 yrd line. Make 55 yrds plus worth 4 pts, and the FG kicker with the big leg becomes a lot more valuable. You can't make a FG worth any more than 4 pts or it would cheapen TDs in my opinion.

A team behind by 4 with 18 seconds left on the opposition's 29 yard line would have to decide whether to toss long to the endzone, or take a 10 yard "kneel' to set up a 55 plus FG.
If the field goal is at 24 yards under your proposal, teams will just take a five yard penalty to make it worth three points. If the other team declines, maybe they can just keep taking a penalty until the other team decides they will not decline it.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
How much time does it take to get the goal posts the correct distance apart? Couple of minutes? What happens if there is a false start and they need to adjust them again for the extra 5 yards? Couple more minutes?

Interesting idea but it would just make an already long contest even longer.
Just get rid of the commercials! Problem solved!
Old 02-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
Marshall Bennett

Get rid of the goal post.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
davew

great idea Teach, but instead of adjustable, I would like to see a big ring. A circle that you have to kick through like a target. This would make closer points harder because you would have to kick lower or flatter and defensive line would be able to block more.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #15
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
If the field goal is at 24 yards under your proposal, teams will just take a five yard penalty to make it worth three points. If the other team declines, maybe they can just keep taking a penalty until the other team decides they will not decline it.
Good point

Maybe make part of the rule that if the offense is moved back due to penalty, there is no change in value.

It's all just chatter. I doubt the NFL will ever do anything with the FG

Last edited by ultracapper; 02-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: