Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 02-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #91
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
That's why handicapping the humans is every bit as important as handicapping the horses.
Getting into the head of the trainer is a major plus.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #92
ultracapper

Not handicapping the humans is like not using your 5,6, and 7 irons. We all have those clubs we just can't hit, but the occasion always arises where one of those clubs is the best shot. You gotta try to get into their heads a little. And sometimes from 175 yards away, you just got no choice.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #93
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2 View Post
Thanks for posting this CJ. I have known Mike for over 40 years and can guarantee this will be a good read. Spent many college road trips on I-75 heading to Latonia to bet the races with him and his dad in the early 70's. I have learned so many useful things from Mike but he left me far behind in knowledge and handicapping/betting years ago. One of the truly "good" guys I have met in this game over the years. Regardless of how many racing stories anyone has heard its always great to hear more. Havent read it yet but definitely looking forward to it.
Really happy for Mike...

Like yourself I've had the pleasure and good fortune to not only know Mike but sit with him, his dad "Rullah," and an assorted cast of other characters impossible to describe, playing the ponies from his Keeneland suite. Seems like yesterday but this was several years back in the mid to late 90s and through the early 00s. I'm not near the player that Mike was, and now is, but we shared a lot of the same handicapping angles, mainly playing biases.

While the book is surely invaluable for what he shares the stories will be my main interest. Some of which I've likely heard, others that maybe more recent since I've moved from Lexington about 10 years ago and only see Mike on occasion these days.

Just reading this thread there are obviously plenty of posters here that know Mike or have interacted with him in some way. I think most all would agree there is no greater ambassador for the sport....at least on the side of the player.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #94
Dave Schwartz

I really want to read this book. Just purchased it on Kindle and the book is unreadable.

It is simply not formatted properly for Kindle. Make sure you purchase the print edition.

Edit: Bought it on DRF.com.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 04-04-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #95
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Kind of shocking to hear.

How hard is it to format a book ?

How is it unreadable?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #96
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Kind of shocking to hear.

How hard is it to format a book ?

How is it unreadable?
There are two pages on each kindle page, the font is about 5 points (no joke) and cannot be made larger.

But, for the record, formatting a book for kindle is really difficult if it was not written with Kindle in mind to begin with.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #97
JustRalph
Just another Facist

That’s why I didn’t buy it. If I can’t read it on kindle I usually pass. I read somewhere it was not for kindle.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #98
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Real smart to put out a product you can;t use.
Who runs that place, morons?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 AM   #99
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Who runs that place, morons?
DRF staff isn't up to that level yet.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #100
erikeepper

The Kindle version from Amazon works fine.
erikeepper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #101
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Now that the sun is back and it getting warmer outside, I have to grab a 6 pack and go sit by the lake and really digest this book. He has some really good ideas in it. I like his using two races and then adding or subtracting for certain factors.

Lots to take in.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #102
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Now that the sun is back and it getting warmer outside, I have to grab a 6 pack and go sit by the lake and really digest this book. He has some really good ideas in it. I like his using two races and then adding or subtracting for certain factors.

Lots to take in.
I do to, wish there was more examples, or if we could get another DRF seminar where they go through a card and see some of the adjustments.

I use Timeform pace adjusted figures and then adjust for trips and other factors.

what I typical do is make a "in form" Performance figure and the second number is more of a "top performance figure" and then I try to figure what has to happen for them to get from A to B.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #103
rcknhrse

major obstical to winning

being a compulsive!if i dot every I and cross every T then i win but if I wake up ,go to computer and turn on a steeple chase from ireland and just throw chips i crash and burn .Same thing log in 2 min to post and scramble , look at the bris summary on the video feed and try and play that way sometimes hit but usually lose especially throwing $$ at exotics
Old 04-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #104
Dave Schwartz

I am truly savoring Mike Maloney's book. Reading it really slowly for the full effect. (It is too good to speed through.)

My favorite horse racing book of all time was Andy Beyer's, My $50,000 Year at the Races. Now I will have two favorites.

It will be a classic.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #105
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I am truly savoring Mike Maloney's book. Reading it really slowly for the full effect. (It is too good to speed through.)

My favorite horse racing book of all time was Andy Beyer's, My $50,000 Year at the Races. Now I will have two favorites.

It will be a classic.
Wow Dave a lot I agree with here. I read good books slowly and deliberately too. I have only read portions of this one and have gotten a lot out of it. And I was thrilled when I got my Beyer's 50 K book in the mail from Amazon and in great condition. I love that one!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: