Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #1366
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I've made a slight change to off track (Mud, Slop, Soft, Yielding) speed figures.

https://timeformusblog.com/2018/01/0...speed-figures/
That's interesting. There are certainly a lot of suspiciously high off track figures, so it seems to make sense.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #1367
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
That's interesting. There are certainly a lot of suspiciously high off track figures, so it seems to make sense.
I wouldn't have done it if the data didn't back up the visuals.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #1368
pandy

I used to downgrade the figures of any horse that broke its maiden for a tag, based on my analysis which showed that according to the figures I was making, on average, horses that came off of maiden wins in claiming races usually ran a figure of at least 5 points slower in their next start. A well known turf writer told me that I shouldn't do that, saying that "the figure is the figure."

My response was, "I want my figures to work. By making this adjustment, the figures are better, and that's what counts in the long run."
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #1369
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I used to downgrade the figures of any horse that broke its maiden for a tag, based on my analysis which showed that according to the figures I was making, on average, horses that came off of maiden wins in claiming races usually ran a figure of at least 5 points slower in their next start. A well known turf writer told me that I shouldn't do that, saying that "the figure is the figure."

My response was, "I want my figures to work. By making this adjustment, the figures are better, and that's what counts in the long run."
I agree. I think there are actual reasons why this works in this case, not just basing it on data, but whatever works. Beyer already does this with turf races but in the opposite direction.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #1370
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:

A long time rule of thumb was the a MC winner "should" be competitive in a race that is half of its MC price...
EX:

A horse won a MC 30,000....should be competitive in an 15,000 claimer

I know your talking figs but class is important too
Mike

Last edited by mikesal57; 01-06-2018 at 08:36 AM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #1371
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

The DRF does not show TimeformUS pace numbers for Horse "April Fifteenth" in Tampa Bay 6th race (Jan6 2018)...Do you have a figure for her...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #1372
classhandicapper

Quote:
I've made a slight change to off track (Mud, Slop, Soft, Yielding) speed figures.

https://timeformusblog.com/2018/01/0...speed-figures/
When I review trips/biases for a day, if the track was off, I will make a note when the margins between horses were larger than usual so I can make mental adjustments to figures next time the horses run. In my personal class ratings, I make adjustments like these for big winners.

If you did an archive search on Thorograph from years ago, I recommended that he do this exact research and consider these kinds of adjustments to improve his off track figures. I think this will definitely improve the figures.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 01-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #1373
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
The DRF does not show TimeformUS pace numbers for Horse "April Fifteenth" in Tampa Bay 6th race (Jan6 2018)...Do you have a figure for her...?
Horse just won at 4 to 1
Kind of wondering why there was no Time form number on the DRF...?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #1374
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Sorry, wasn't around earlier.

There was a problem with timing on the race. The fractions were added in later, but I didn't trust them, so there are no pace figures. There was a final time number of 90 which was the best in the field. If you see a final time number, it means pace figures were not made for the race.

That was a race where Beyer and myself were far apart. I gave the race a 99 (about 79 Beyer scale), he gave it a 62.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #1375
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Sorry I wasted my time.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #1376
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry I wasted my time.
April Fifteenth raced good though erratic in the stretch...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-07-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #1377
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
April Fifteenth raced good though erratic in the stretch...
What does that have to do with what you quoted?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #1378
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
What does that have to do with what you quoted?
I was just trying to figure out if what you just posted about wasting your time was related to my post or something else...
Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #1379
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

There were a couple of past performance anomalies today (7Jan18)in Gulfstreams' 6th race for example: Both Money Factor and Queen Jill last race had dashes where the DRF Speed Rating/ Variant would be. The race in question was 17Dec17-8GP.

In the 9th race also, Attribute and Lunaire show similar dashes for races 3Dec17-6Aqu and 24Nov17-8. Do you have any idea why the DRF omits figures for these races...? Is it a timer issue or just a reporting oversight..?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-07-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #1380
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I was just trying to figure out if what you just posted about wasting your time was related to my post or something else...
Yes, you seem to ask me questions but when I reply, nothing. Maybe the answer here was perfect and required no reply, but it isn't the first time you've done this. My answers aren't that good. 🤣

Tags
quick, timeform adjustment

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: