Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
erict23

Horses that are eased or pulled up/next time out

When you see a horse in his last performance was eased how do you evaluate his condition in the next out race? For example today at Delmar in race 3 the #3 horse sunny lane was eased last Time out at Santa Anita on June 10 in a 1 mile race after chasing a decent pace. Finished 30 or so lengths back. Less than two weeks later on June 23 had a five furlong workout followed by another five furlong workout June 29. And then a steady slate of workouts since. Should this lead me to believe that the horse was just eased to be saved for another day? Probably not a physical reason the horse was eased? In a situation like this would the horse normally be pulled up versus eased if the jockey felt something wrong? My first thought when I see eased is to worry something went wrong last race but I’m hoping the steady string of workouts is a sign that’s not the case. What do you guys think? Obviously “pulled up” would be more worrisome but “eased” Never sounds great either. Thanks erict
erict23 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
lamboguy

the only thing better than eased pulled up is, eased, pulled up and vanned off. i always play those horses for more than my normal play.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #3
erict23

Interesting…I will take note…
erict23 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2022, 08:24 PM   #4
usfgeology

Don’t we call this “that angle”? On account of the negative connotation associated with being vanned off. It’s a thing for sure and we used to have a thread specifically for horses with this angle.
usfgeology is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 10:39 PM   #5
Immortal6

Haven’t been on the site hardly since the derby, but I had to stop and comment on this. usfgeology has it right. Search for “that angle” and you’ll find lots of info. I love playing horses that were pulled up/vanned off last out if they have a workout within 30-45 days from that start. Horse has to have shown ability at whatever class level it’s running in “today”. That’s really my only criteria for it. Recent works and previous success at the level. Have hit some nice exactas boxing these types with 1-2 other strong contenders I like in the race. Seems like the public heavily downgrades or outright tosses horses with pulled up/vanned in the comments leading to lots of overlays.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 10:49 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Haven’t been on the site hardly since the derby, but I had to stop and comment on this. usfgeology has it right. Search for “that angle” and you’ll find lots of info. I love playing horses that were pulled up/vanned off last out if they have a workout within 30-45 days from that start. Horse has to have shown ability at whatever class level it’s running in “today”. That’s really my only criteria for it. Recent works and previous success at the level. Have hit some nice exactas boxing these types with 1-2 other strong contenders I like in the race. Seems like the public heavily downgrades or outright tosses horses with pulled up/vanned in the comments leading to lots of overlays.
this angle is probably the best reason to read a racing form... i will say that if you play this angle only, you will be a winner. another decent one is rider fell off the horse, but nowhere near as good as eased and vanned off.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #7
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
this angle is probably the best reason to read a racing form... i will say that if you play this angle only, you will be a winner. another decent one is rider fell off the horse, but nowhere near as good as eased and vanned off.
I track these types of plays. The eased and vanned off angle horses are very high percentage in the money next time out. Another one is blocked in stretch or fanned 4w5w6w in multiple trouble lines. The one and two horse in race 3 at Saratoga today could pop off my angle.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2022, 02:18 PM   #8
westernmassbob

Race 4 look for the 8 horse to run well off my angle. Plus Luzzi is due for a big one .
Old 08-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I track these types of plays. The eased and vanned off angle horses are very high percentage in the money next time out. Another one is blocked in stretch or fanned 4w5w6w in multiple trouble lines. The one and two horse in race 3 at Saratoga today could pop off my angle.
The and didn't "pop" but they did look they were "eased!"
Old 08-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The and didn't "pop" but they did look they were "eased!"
No Tom the 1 horse finished in the money so that meant I made money. Of course what I made in that race I gave back in race 4 except for the rebates coming in. If you care to go head to head on HorseTourneys anytime let me know so I can school your azz.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
No Tom the 1 horse finished in the money so that meant I made money. Of course what I made in that race I gave back in race 4 except for the rebates coming in. If you care to go head to head on HorseTourneys anytime let me know so I can school your azz.
Chill, dude.
It was a joke.
The first two horses were so far ahead, they looked like they were eased.

But if you consider picking 2 horse and get one show making money, I'm sure someone here would love to take you up on your offer. If you want to talk schooling, feel free to see my selection thread today and take notes.

Last edited by Tom; 08-17-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2022, 06:19 PM   #12
delayjf

Quote:
The eased and vanned off angle horses are very high percentage in the money next time out. Another one is blocked in stretch or fanned 4w5w6w in multiple trouble lines.
Has anyone tracked the "beaten" version of this angle whereby the expected improved performance comes in the second race after the event (blocked / wide trip or being vanned off) at what I would hope would be a better price.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Has anyone tracked the "beaten" version of this angle whereby the expected improved performance comes in the second race after the event (blocked / wide trip or being vanned off) at what I would hope would be a better price.
Now I am really listening.

More on this topic, please.
Looking for ideas to actually build factors for certain chart comments, as well as obvious stuff like horses that don't persevere in the stretch.

ALL IDEAS from anyone are welcome.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #14
sharkey11

how about combining the comment or comments with maybe a key race !
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #15
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Now I am really listening.

More on this topic, please.
Looking for ideas to actually build factors for certain chart comments, as well as obvious stuff like horses that don't persevere in the stretch.

ALL IDEAS from anyone are welcome.
I have a list of trouble words and I use that to note trouble trips. But right now, these are just notes for a deep dive on the race, not to store the data.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: