Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #91
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Jockeys’ Guild Part Of New Lawsuit That Seeks To Prevent HISA Rules From Going Into Effect

A federal lawsuit accompanied by a request for a temporary restraining order and injunction has been filed in in an effort to block the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority from enforcing rules that are to go into effect July 1.

The suit, filed June 29 in United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana, names as plaintiffs the states of Louisiana and West Virginia, along with their respective state racing commissions, the Louisiana Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association, the Jockeys Guild and several individuals from Louisiana who would be “covered persons” under the Authority.

The complaint lists 12 counts, ranging from anti-commandeering (alleging Congress has commandeered the authority of state racing commissions through the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act that created the Authority); multiple violations of the Administrative Procedure Act; and violations of the Fourth and Seventh Amendments of the U.S. Constitution guaranteeing a right to a jury trial and protection against unreasonable search and seizures, respectively.
https://paulickreport.com/news/integ...g-into-effect/
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #92
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Restraining Order Denied In HISA Lawsuit

A federal judge has denied a motion for a temporary restraining order in a lawsuit designed to keep the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act (HISA) rules from going into effect.

The order, dated June 30 but posted to the court docket on the morning of July 1, the effective date for HISA's implementation, was handed down in the aftermath of a 35-minute Thursday afternoon conference call that was hastily arranged at the urgent request of lead plaintiffs from the states of Louisiana and West Virginia in their suit against HISA and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) representatives.

“Participants discussed the Motion for a Temporary Restraining Order and Preliminary Injunction pending before the Court,” wrote Judge Terry Doughty of U.S. District Court (Western District of Louisiana). “Plaintiffs and Defendants both expressed their views on the pending motion. The Court also expressed its view, which is that issuing a temporary restraining order regarding an Act of Congress would be inappropriate.”
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...-hisa-lawsuit/
Old 07-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #93
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
Oh come on.

Seriously, how much less money would jockeys be making, and how many would be unemployed, if wagering on horse racing wasn't an interstate activity and you could only bet at the track?

This is a down the middle regulation of an interstate activity, one that the framers of the Constitution would recognize and that, if it ever went to the US Supreme Court (which it wouldn't) would be upheld nine to zero.

People in this industry need to stop wasting money filing lawsuits that won't succeed and maybe take stock of how selfish they were to even let things get to the point where the federal government had to step in.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #94
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Oh come on.

Seriously, how much less money would jockeys be making, and how many would be unemployed, if wagering on horse racing wasn't an interstate activity and you could only bet at the track?

This is a down the middle regulation of an interstate activity, one that the framers of the Constitution would recognize and that, if it ever went to the US Supreme Court (which it wouldn't) would be upheld nine to zero.

People in this industry need to stop wasting money filing lawsuits that won't succeed and maybe take stock of how selfish they were to even let things get to the point where the federal government had to step in.
dilanesp...yep.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #95
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The feds didn't have to step in. This new bureaucracy will suck up resources and add nothing positive. I give the plaintiff states credit for trying.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #96
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
And as of July 1, 2022 Lone Star Park is no longer distributing its signal to ADWs.

-jp

Old 07-02-2022, 04:35 PM   #97
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
The feds didn't have to step in. This new bureaucracy will suck up resources and add nothing positive. I give the plaintiff states credit for trying.
its already been a positive; ie the whipping rules in Jersey.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 04:38 PM   #98
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
And as of July 1, 2022 Lone Star Park is no longer distributing its signal to ADWs.

-jp

the first race exacta pool was 2,674 American

Way to show em Texas.

Allan
Old 07-02-2022, 05:01 PM   #99
biggestal99

2700 people bet 171,000

that certainly wont support purses.

Allan
Old 07-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #100
Al Gobbi

Old 07-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #101
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
the first race exacta pool was 2,674 American

Way to show em Texas.

Allan
There were double pools if $56 and $91.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 09:37 PM   #102
JustRalph
Just another Facist

You have to remember, Texas would shut down all gambling if they could get away with it.

Nobody here gives a damn about racing.

I used to really enjoy the simulcast center at Lonestar when I lived in Dallas. I loved Sam Houston racing and the facility 10 yrs ago.

But after living here for 10 yrs now, NOBODY cares about racing.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:48 AM   #103
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
You have to remember, Texas would shut down all gambling if they could get away with it.

Nobody here gives a damn about racing.

I used to really enjoy the simulcast center at Lonestar when I lived in Dallas. I loved Sam Houston racing and the facility 10 yrs ago.

But after living here for 10 yrs now, NOBODY cares about racing.
i was there for the breeders cup, my texas friends showed me the LS simulcast place.

had a great time after the BC.

Allan
Old 07-03-2022, 10:28 PM   #104
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Many tracks are balking at the expenses federal oversight will impose on them and their horsemen. The whole thing has been poorly planned and remains an unwieldy work in progress.

Some racetrack execs see this as a frightened kiss up to peta, others as a thinly veiled plot to force contraction.

But whatever the case, far fewer jurisdictions have signed on for hisa than were probably expected. And some of the resistance has been spirited.

One thing this program HAS managed to engender is a mad, selfish dash amongst bureaucrats and racing officials to secure all the cushy high-paying jobs that it mandates be funded.
Ahh. Another unfunded federal mandate.
What a shocker
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2022, 09:18 PM   #105
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
i was there for the breeders cup, my texas friends showed me the LS simulcast place.

had a great time after the BC.

Allan
I was at that BC. Biggest debacle I have ever encountered at a racetrack. A total mess.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: