Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-15-2022, 08:55 PM   #61
molson721

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
From what I heard Del Mar isn't pushing attendance because they want the fans that show up to have a great experience. If you pack as many people in and they don't come back you lose a customer for life. So they will take less fans coming into the place but have them keep coming back as repeat customers.

Can I interest you in a bridge in San Francisco I own? I will sell it to you very cheap .
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #62
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
What they're doing doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.
It behoves a track to grab as much attendance and on track wagering as possible. They get the full take out percentage and no sharing. Ironically not many people understand this. When dog racing and jai alai lost attendance through the years their profit eroded quickly. They never had the stretch of simulcasting and online betting like the horses. Not really a countrywide popularity either. I think relying on off track wagering is a deadly game and it has shut down several tracks. The main revenue stream should always be on track…it may not bring in as much money but it should be the first priority.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #63
ronsmac

The Santa Anita winter-spring meet was dreadful and had a reported handle increase of 2%. The Del Mar summer meet was one of the best California has seen in years and only had a reported handle increase of just over 1%. That seems like a terrible sign.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #64
Andy Asaro

Later in his executive director's report, Chaney remarked that betting handle in the state was down 7% during the month of August. This came despite an increase in field size during a successful Del Mar summer racing season in which no horses died during racing over the nine-week meet.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ent-by-october via @BloodHorse
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #65
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Later in his executive director's report, Chaney remarked that betting handle in the state was down 7% during the month of August. This came despite an increase in field size during a successful Del Mar summer racing season in which no horses died during racing over the nine-week meet.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ent-by-october via @BloodHorse
yet people question why TVG would get rebranded as a Racebook betting channel.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #66
Sheffwed

Meanwhile

At the same time, record wagering increases at tracks like Colonial Downs, Saratoga, Kentucky Downs

The opportunity is there if the environment is appealing as per the above and most of all, when the wagering opportunity is sensible enough if not very appealing

I have all the time in the world for interesting turf racing with large fields

California racing however is the opposite of appealing - given the stewards history but most of all it is clear that the trainers are few and suspected by most to be very problemental, and of course it is also apparent that they and their owners are deeply enmeshed in the system as well

So I'll watch Del Mar, maybe, and when I see a horse at a price that looks good in the paddock, I'll consider a wager

Santa Anita? Pass completely

California racing's future?
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #67
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
yet people question why TVG would get rebranded as a Racebook betting channel.
If you look at the promo of them promoting the channel renaming to Fanduel there is a montage of race tracks closing, Hollywood Park, Arlington Park, Bay Meadows, Calder Racecourse......its not a surprise they are searching for a life raft in case the industry keeps contracting.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #68
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
At the same time, record wagering increases at tracks like Colonial Downs, Saratoga, Kentucky Downs

The opportunity is there if the environment is appealing as per the above and most of all, when the wagering opportunity is sensible enough if not very appealing

I have all the time in the world for interesting turf racing with large fields

California racing however is the opposite of appealing - given the stewards history but most of all it is clear that the trainers are few and suspected by most to be very problemental, and of course it is also apparent that they and their owners are deeply enmeshed in the system as well

So I'll watch Del Mar, maybe, and when I see a horse at a price that looks good in the paddock, I'll consider a wager

Santa Anita? Pass completely

California racing's future?
Del Mar had bigger field size than ever. Whether or not they stay is another story
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: