Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-04-2022, 02:42 AM   #46
ElKabong

Am I supposed to believe Flores was offered 100k to throw games (announced AFTER he's been fired)? Sorry, not feeling sorry for him. Should have immediately come out and blown the whistle. Goodell would have been forced to defend Flores to the wall. Flores would have been hailed by fans as a champion for integrity. He lost that opportunity, now he's 'burning that shit down'

I'm not saying he did or didn't blow games, or was offered by the owner. He's as big of a problem now as his owner supposedly is like it or not.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #47
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Hmmm, NY Giants timeline show text by BB was BS. The decision was not made prior.
I read the itinerary for Flores. He spent the entire day with the Giants, it was well planned out. He got his interview and it was done properly. It isn't like they called him in and he was out the door in 20 minutes. His lawsuit is going nowhere. The Giants didn't make the decision to the next day.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #48
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
I read the itinerary for Flores. He spent the entire day with the Giants, it was well planned out. He got his interview and it was done properly. It isn't like they called him in and he was out the door in 20 minutes. His lawsuit is going nowhere. The Giants didn't make the decision to the next day.
I am sure there is discrimination going on but Flores and his embellishments(being nice) only hurt in the cause in the long run.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #49
Robert Fischer
clean money

I know very little of the facts regarding this headline.

All I will say, is that if you have a rule that a minority must be interviewed, then it has to be a real interview.

Just a thought, but it could be favorable if the minority interviews were available to the league offices, and every team.

Coaching at that level is a skill and a display of leadership, professionalism, discipline. You represent the team, it's decision-making, and you are a scapegoat for losses. The strategies and tactics can vary from team to team depending on the input and responsibilities of any given coach within their system.

Very hard to do. Even harder to get into. I think there is room to develop coaches. Preferably if you do that, you get a relatively young coach who is in it for a career.

As far as 'tanking games'. That's a problem related to the Draft. I don't know how they do the draft. If losing teams have a higher chance of a top draft pick, that is one model in the direction of preferring a losing record to a middling record. It's not something they usually announce to season-ticket holders, and during the beer commercials, but if a team badly needs somebody like a franchise QB, and they have a terrible season record, and the line for today's game is '+8' or whatever, a lot of fans and gamblers are going to be well aware that the intent is not there.

Does 'tanking' open up the door to further manipulation of betting lines? Maybe it does. These are complicated topics...
Old 02-04-2022, 02:32 PM   #50
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Putting that rule in is a admission that there is a bias towards white coaches..

It was stupid to even add it.....

mike
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #51
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

It's funny how the NBA and Baseball have no problems hiring minorities as head coaches....

Must be an NFL owner clique thingy.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 06:35 AM   #52
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
I
Meanwhile no mention of being offerd $100,000 a game to lose games. Seriously? Legalized NFL betting growing all over the country and ownership wants his team tanking. I haven't watched the NFL in years other than a rare playoff game and most superbowls, so I really have no horse in this race. I just find some of the reaction(not so much here but at other forums) a little curious. .
That's what got to me. I've been watching the news, listening on radio, and talking to friends , seems not many knew that part?
He throws that out there, back it up! Get rid of that owner
Old 02-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #53
maddog42

I would argue that the Rooney rule has had some small good effect since 20 percent of all hires have been minorities since its inception. Are there racist owners? Yep. I don't know the answer.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #54
geroge.burns99
Veteran

I'm surprised that the news media didn't catch on to what's going on in the NFL...

I guess their "free" passes to games will disappear...

Old 02-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #55
Bogo

The reason there is no mention of it is because it is garbage. This is the Miami team that went into Foxboro and knocked the Patriots out of a first round bye as double digit dogs the last game of the year. The also won the week before really hurting their draft position.That is some way to tank.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #56
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogo View Post
The reason there is no mention of it is because it is garbage. This is the Miami team that went into Foxboro and knocked the Patriots out of a first round bye as double digit dogs the last game of the year. The also won the week before really hurting their draft position.That is some way to tank.
I'm not positive but If NE won the division ..

would have they played KC?
Old 02-07-2022, 08:35 PM   #57
Bogo

Back then the 1st 2 teams received a bye. Because New England lost to Miami they ended up the 3 seed and had to play in the first round. They lost in the 1st round to Tennessee. If they would have beat Miami they would have been the 2 seed and received a bye. Baltimore was the #1 seed that year.

Last edited by Bogo; 02-07-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #58
Poindexter

Quote:
My understanding is he declined the offer. But if an owner is offering $100,000 a game to his coach to tank, that is very bad. In this world we live in I have no reason to doubt a rich owner might ask that of his coach. Whether he can prove it, who knows. I don't see any logic in bringing up an accusation like that if it is not true. Maybe he just flat out hates the guy, but somewhere down the line he has to produce some evidence, or he just makes himself look bad. Don't follow the NFL, not even following this story much, just found it a little ridiculous and sad that the Giants could not honor the spirit of the rule and decide who the coach would be after they interviewed him. They don't have to hire a minority they just have to give them a good faith interview. I don't think that is a lot to ask. If the facts determine they did, we will find out.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 09:16 PM   #59
Bogo

Didn't say anything about the Giants. I have no idea what their hiring procedures are. But if he was asked to tank and he didn't, why didn't they fire him after that season?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:29 PM   #60
Poindexter

Quote:
Didn't say anything about the Giants. I have no idea what their hiring procedures are. But if he was asked to tank and he didn't, why didn't they fire him after that season?
Couldn't answer you because I know zero about anybody involved. I just find it very odd that he would make an accusation as outlandish as this one was that can only make hi, look bad unless it happened and unless he has some sort of proof. This is not the type of story I would expect someone to just make up. But anything is possible. To make up such a story would be very stupid.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply