Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
Afleet

Foal Crop

this is not good; more small fields and more contraction seems inevitable.

The 2020 foal crop projection is expected to
dip to 20,500 The Jockey Club issued a press release
confirming that number while also announcing a downward
revision to the 2019 foal crop projection, from 21,500 to 20,800.
The high mark for the continent’s crop was in 1986, when
51,296 Thoroughbreds were foaled.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com.../tdn190812.pdf
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
Afleet

I had four mares in partnership bred this year.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
clicknow

Seems like countries like Japan, France, etc. do a lot more with less ..... and handle is still very high. Blaming less foal crop as the reason racetracks are having a problem filling races is just an excuse because they don't know how to promote racing effectively, and haven't for some time.

Perhaps the failure of U.S. racing's leadership, and their inability to fix raceday medication rules when they are PEDs, will cause only the good tracks to survive.

I'm not in favor of breeding horses with little redeeming value as racers just to breed and sell. This solves the overproduction of foals that are not fast enough to become racehorses and thus solves the problem of unwanted horses.

Breed more responsibly, for quality. Breeding more lower quality horses just so gamblers have something to do on Tuesdays isnt a good enough reason to create larger crops. Register them, and put them into training. If you match foal crop with the number of people willing to be owners, we really don't need as many as we do now, and less horses will be thrown away like so much garbage.

If you don't support your local track, by actually going there once in a while, if it goes away, I have little sympathy. All locals survive in any business because the people support them, both in numbers and monetarily. A racetrack that is deader than a doornail with an empty grandstand is really not the best use for any piece of land anyway.

Sorry that this will upset many gamblers but I think about the horses first. Until there is race horse retirement arrangements made for them, across the board, I really don't mind seeing less of them put into service. And a unified force to promote and regulate horse racing.

Last edited by clicknow; 08-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Afleet

[QUOTE=clicknow;2505242]

I'm not in favor of breeding horses with little redeeming value as racers just to breed and sell. This solves the overproduction of foals that are not fast enough to become racehorses and thus solves the problem of unwanted horses.

Breed more responsibly, for quality. Breeding more lower quality horses just so gamblers have something to do on Tuesdays isnt a good enough reason to create larger crops. Register them, and put them into training. If you match foal crop with the number of people willing to be owners, we really don't need as many as we do now, and less horses will be thrown away like so much garbage.

So you would have been against breeding Seattle Slew, John Henry, Seabiscuit to name just a few? They didn't have fashionable pedigrees
Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
elhelmete

Nobody intentionally breeds a $2500 claimer.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Nobody intentionally breeds a $2500 claimer.
Tell that to the breeders in Louisiana.
Too many foals is the problem here
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Tell that to the breeders in Louisiana.
Too many foals is the problem here
Link?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #8
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Blaming less foal crop as the reason racetracks are having a problem filling races is just an excuse because they don't know how to promote racing effectively, and haven't for some time.

Uh, OK, why don't you demonstrate for the group by (effectively) promoting this Friday's card at the Cassia County Fair.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
castaway01

Quote:
Seems like countries like Japan, France, etc. do a lot more with less ..... and handle is still very high. Blaming less foal crop as the reason racetracks are having a problem filling races is just an excuse because they don't know how to promote racing effectively, and haven't for some time.

Perhaps the failure of U.S. racing's leadership, and their inability to fix raceday medication rules when they are PEDs, will cause only the good tracks to survive.

If you don't support your local track, by actually going there once in a while, if it goes away, I have little sympathy. All locals survive in any business because the people support them, both in numbers and monetarily. A racetrack that is deader than a doornail with an empty grandstand is really not the best use for any piece of land anyway.

Sorry that this will upset many gamblers but I think about the horses first. Until there is race horse retirement arrangements made for them, across the board, I really don't mind seeing less of them put into service. And a unified force to promote and regulate horse racing.
You might want to check the takeout in France, as well as the handle there...the former is going up, and the latter is going down.

You wrote and wrote and wrote, but simple math tells you that fewer horses bred means smaller fields, and smaller fields mean lower handle. Those are facts. Everything else you wrote was melodramatic blathering.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #10
The_Turf_Monster

It's been going this direction since the recession. Foal as many as you want but there needs to be owners for the horses. Breeders have caught up to it and aren't breeding as many
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 AM   #11
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Foal as many as you want but there needs to be owners for the horses.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Everything else you wrote was melodramatic blathering.
Breeding more horses than there are owners to correctly care for them contributes to dumping.

And one of the reasons why horse racing has such an awful reputation.

Sorry if that's too "melodramatic" for you --- and if you think the meat truck to Mexico or a feedlot isn't something to "get dramatic" about.

An end to over-breeding, horse dumping, and race horse retirement, needs to be front burner if racing is to survive.

Last edited by clicknow; 08-15-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
clicknow

Quote:
Yes.

Breeding more horses than there are owners to correctly care for them contributes to dumping.

And one of the reasons why horse racing has such an awful reputation.

Sorry if that's too "melodramatic" for you --- and if you think the meat truck to Mexico or a feedlot isn't something to "get dramatic" about.

An end to over-breeding, horse dumping, and race horse retirement, needs to be front burner if racing is to survive.
That should read "and instituting a formal race horse retirement program with oversight".
Old 08-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Link?
I found this from the Jockey Club; it appears that the Louisiana foal crop as a percentage of the North American total peaked in 2010 at 8.2%. In 2017, the most recent year posted, that number had decreased to 4.7%.

JC: 2019 Louisiana Fact Book

Without knowing the state-bred incentives other states offer breeders I can't comment on Louisiana's, and how they rank in terms of generosity, but here they are:

LTBA: State-bred Incentives

But to the OP's point, my gut feeling is that if there were data available showing the percentage of each year's foal crop that ended up in kill pens within the first four years, Louisiana would rank near the top. And this, of course, points not to the number of foals dropped, but to their quality.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #14
Big Peps

It seems to me that there is an increasing amount of people that breed only to sell anymore these days. I have 3 mares that I bred to KY stallions where 2 went back to NY and one down to LA. Talking to people in KY I definitely got the feeling that I was in a true minority breeding for racing.

That said, I don't like the sales, lots of games I have felt that there were too many games going on also extremely expensive for anything worth it.

Sure I will be sitting on the mares and foals for a number of years but at least I know what has been done and where they are every step of the way.

The $ is at the sales in this business which is no secret. Sure there are people that breed, sell and race but I really think there is an increase in the number of breeders that only race if they have too; ie can't sell a foal for what they feel it's worth and that's fine but not great for racing. I bet the number of breeders who are really focused on racing has gone down significantly.

I claim for racing horses and have had some success there with a few very nice horses and say my prayers to breed a really nice horse one day but the deck is stacked. I will continue to avoid all sales like the plague.

Just this week, I got 4-5 texts or calls from leftovers from the NYS sale of owners looking to sell
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Peps View Post
It seems to me that there is an increasing amount of people that breed only to sell anymore these days. I have 3 mares that I bred to KY stallions where 2 went back to NY and one down to LA. Talking to people in KY I definitely got the feeling that I was in a true minority breeding for racing.

That said, I don't like the sales, lots of games I have felt that there were too many games going on also extremely expensive for anything worth it.

Sure I will be sitting on the mares and foals for a number of years but at least I know what has been done and where they are every step of the way.

The $ is at the sales in this business which is no secret. Sure there are people that breed, sell and race but I really think there is an increase in the number of breeders that only race if they have too; ie can't sell a foal for what they feel it's worth and that's fine but not great for racing. I bet the number of breeders who are really focused on racing has gone down significantly.

I claim for racing horses and have had some success there with a few very nice horses and say my prayers to breed a really nice horse one day but the deck is stacked. I will continue to avoid all sales like the plague.

Just this week, I got 4-5 texts or calls from leftovers from the NYS sale of owners looking to sell
thanks for posting. I agree the deck is stacked against us

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: