Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #16
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Some of these guys make a lot of money, how much do they really need? While the people who are working hard at the bottom just dont get a real sustainable income. We need to do something, where is HANA on this one.
How much do they need? ALL OF IT! I certainly wouldn’t want to bust my butt for years, take risks along the way and work hard to get to the top only to give away a large portion of it. It’s mine, I bust my azz for it, HANDS OFF!!!
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #17
Big Peps

It's a competitive market place, those who are best and in demand get paid more. It runs much like any other competitive market, leave it alone.

Should double A ballplayers get paid more or be supplemented by those in the major leagues. Not quite sure the real world operates like this.

Sounds like Bernie Sanders is taking over racing to me and I am a Vermonter still don't agree with the take here

I wanted to be a pro golfer couldn't get it done so I moved on.
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #18
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

People working at Walmart don't put their life on the line every time they go to work. In general, people who cheat, do so, because they need to make ends meet. Of course there are always exceptions.

The way to solve this problem, and about half the problems the "sport" has, is to have a national governing body that would set a minimum purse level for T-bred races, something like $100k.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

There go half the races in the country.
And half the tracks and riders.
Making the minimum $10K would be a disaster for a lot of tracks.

Maybe if one can't make enough to live on riding, another career would be in order.

Last edited by Tom; 09-11-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
How much do they need? ALL OF IT! I certainly wouldn’t want to bust my butt for years, take risks along the way and work hard to get to the top only to give away a large portion of it. It’s mine, I bust my azz for it, HANDS OFF!!!
Yeah, the owner and trainer get a split of the million dollar purse and the only one who puts his life on the line riding is the jock, who gets hi pay capped.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #21
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Just because someone works at Target instead of Saks doesn't mean their only option is to become a criminal.
As someone that was an owner of a retail chain, I can safely say that the employee theft % is likely much higher at Target than Saks.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #22
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Some of these guys make a lot of money, how much do they really need? While the people who are working hard at the bottom just dont get a real sustainable income. We need to do something, where is HANA on this one.
Up there with the whales lobbying for higher rebates!
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #23
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The same goes on in the Airline industry.

Commuter pilots making 10 bucks an hour for “flight time only” should scare the shit out of you......
Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
Will Rogers?
The "lost in space" guy.

Will Robinson?

Something like that.

Same thing only different.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #25
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
As someone that was an owner of a retail chain, I can safely say that the employee theft % is likely much higher at Target than Saks.
Which retail chain did you own...TARGET, or SAKS?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #26
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
So should Aaron Rodgers have to distribute 40% of his income to the practice squad players in the NFL or just the ones on his team?
At least give some to Colin Kaepernik, Cause he dont want to work,he just wants to beat on Dee drum all day.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #27
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
There go half the races in the country.
And half the tracks and riders.
Making the minimum $10K would be a disaster for a lot of tracks.

Maybe if one can't make enough to live on riding, another career would be in order.
I guess you can say that about exercise riders and backside workers as well?

There are already so few people willing to work so hard for little money....some racing meets would have to be cancelled or cut back, based on inability to find such workers.

I'm certainly not in favor of people who sit in the comfort of their recliners in air conditioned homes who have never done any truly difficult outdoor physical labor in harsh conditions "deciding" how things should be.......

Not saying this is you, but I honestly see quite a lot of this on racing forums. There often seems to be a distinct lack of understanding of what the demands of jockeys, exercise riders, backside workers, etc. acutally ARE. Usually the people doing the most complaining wouldn't be able to "hack it" for 3 days, let alone a lifetime....and at any age.

Again, count me as one who truly respects the work these folks do. Always have felt that way, and always will. Esp. from the standpoint of "good honest hard work" being the backbone of the so-called American Work Ethic.

Last edited by clicknow; 09-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #28
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
People working at Walmart don't put their life on the line every time they go to work. In general, people who cheat, do so, because they need to make ends meet. Of course there are always exceptions.

The way to solve this problem, and about half the problems the "sport" has, is to have a national governing body that would set a minimum purse level for T-bred races, something like $100k.
I agree. Racing needs a national governing body for that as well as many other reasons.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #29
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
So should Aaron Rodgers have to distribute 40% of his income to the practice squad players in the NFL or just the ones on his team?

Could easily say Aaron does that now. All major sports leagues do income redistribution in the form of Salary Caps and Luxury Tax's. Each team also gets an even share of the TV revenue.

In 2017 the 0-16 Cleveland Browns got $255 million, the same as Green Bay and the Patriots. Just for showing up the Browns received a $255 Million dollar participation trophy. They also had lowest attendance in their history.

Sharing income for the common good is common.

Most backsides are safe havens for non-citizens. They're filled with people sleeping in shacks and trailers. Most are drunk on Booze or God. You run into backside chapels on the regular. About 70% drunk on Booze, another 30 on God.

Circumstances drive men to God more often than Virtue. If someone is hungry enough, they will cut you up, cook and eat you. Poor people Cheating is on the tip of their tongue and in their front pocket.

There has been no hot water in the Aqueduct jockey room for a year, so imagine what's going on elsewhere.

Super Trainer tie-in. Talented Exercise riders used to get formal or informal $ piece's of a horse's successful campaign. Now they're interchangeable because a few trainers have all the horses.

Last edited by Suff; 09-13-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #30
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
At least give some to Colin Kaepernik, Cause he dont want to work,he just wants to beat on Dee drum all day.
Wow is this idiotic.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply