Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
highnote

Richest Men in the World -- probably doing something illegal

If you're one of the richest men in the world, chances are you came by all that wealth because you are NOT ethical and do NOT have high moral standards.

We know Zuckerberg sells access to your private information. His company got its start by accessing Harvard students' information without their authorization or the schools. He was a hacker. Now he's a billionaire.

Bezos is said to be the richest man in the world. 45% of all the orders on Amazon come from independent shops, manufacturers, and distributors who sell their own products directly on Amazon. This is called Fulfilled by Amazon.

It sounds like a good business model, except that Amazon does not have good systems in place to detect counterfit products, products sourced from China, poorly made products, used products being sold as new, etc. The low prices of illegal products on amazon cause harm to legitimate companies.

https://angel.co/newsletters/amazon-...etplace-080218

I remember listening to a former IBM employee who was laid off and started a consulting business. He was hired as a consultant to help IBM turnaround one of their business units. He basically told them you had better lie, steal, and cheat if you are going to be able to compete. He was partly joking, but what he meant was they had better borrow heavily from what their competitors were building and build it better. I remember a line he said about Bill Gates who, at the time, was the richest man in the world. He said, "He must be doing something illegal." Gates did have Microsoft push the limits. Sometimes Microsoft got caught and was fined. That was a cost of doing business.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
If you're one of the richest men in the world, chances are you came by all that wealth because you are NOT ethical and do NOT have high moral standards.

We know Zuckerberg sells access to your private information. His company got its start by accessing Harvard students' information without their authorization or the schools. He was a hacker. Now he's a billionaire.

Bezos is said to be the richest man in the world. 45% of all the orders on Amazon come from independent shops, manufacturers, and distributors who sell their own products directly on Amazon. This is called Fulfilled by Amazon.

It sounds like a good business model, except that Amazon does not have good systems in place to detect counterfit products, products sourced from China, poorly made products, used products being sold as new, etc. The low prices of illegal products on amazon cause harm to legitimate companies.

https://angel.co/newsletters/amazon-...etplace-080218

I remember listening to a former IBM employee who was laid off and started a consulting business. He was hired as a consultant to help IBM turnaround one of their business units. He basically told them you had better lie, steal, and cheat if you are going to be able to compete. He was partly joking, but what he meant was they had better borrow heavily from what their competitors were building and build it better. I remember a line he said about Bill Gates who, at the time, was the richest man in the world. He said, "He must be doing something illegal." Gates did have Microsoft push the limits. Sometimes Microsoft got caught and was fined. That was a cost of doing business.
You list TWO people and associate that somehow with the "Richest men" (inferring ALL)????
Sad....
Envious much???
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
"Behind every great fortune lies a crime" Balzac

Quoted by Mario Puzo in the foreword to The Godfather.

I'm sure up to 100 years ago, there was a lot of truth in that statement. I'm not sure that's the case that much anymore.Although there will always be questionable behavior in any large organization.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
You list TWO people and associate that somehow with the "Richest men" (inferring ALL)????
Sad....
Envious much???
My bad. "Some of" the Richest Men... There. All better now?

It was just an observation. I also mentioned Gates. That's actually three, not TWO.

And I also said "probably" not "definitely".

Read much?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
newtothegame

Quote:
My bad. "Some of" the Richest Men... There. All better now?

It was just an observation. I also mentioned Gates. That's actually three, not TWO.

And I also said "probably" not "definitely".

Read much?
I read well and you didn't assign any crimes to any.
So what does that say for your suggestion???
What crimes has gates committed? Bezos??
And you have me on Zuck, I think he is a slimeball too....
But Zuck does NOJT make ALL rich men, Some rich men, A portion of Rich men.... !!!
It makes it "Zuck is a slimeball in my opinion"....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #6
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I read well and you didn't assign any crimes to any.
So what does that say for your suggestion???
What crimes has gates committed? Bezos??
And you have me on Zuck, I think he is a slimeball too....
But Zuck does NOJT make ALL rich men, Some rich men, A portion of Rich men.... !!!
It makes it "Zuck is a slimeball in my opinion"....
Point taken. Maybe a bit too much hyperbole on my part. Although, I did say probably, not definitely.

Google did get a 5 billion dollar anti-trust fine in Europe.

Microsoft got hit with a lot of anti-trust fines. I read where they paid a 1 billion fine in 2006 which amounted to one week's wages.

Amazon has been hit with fines for back taxes in Europe.

I think about how people come to the U.S. from foreign countries, buy gas stations with convenience stores, and then start building them into chains. Then one day they get busted for not paying taxes. It's easy to make money when you don't pay taxes. It's a lot harder when you follow the rules.

Remember when Stew Leonards Grocery Stores had a cash register that was not hooked up their computers. They just kept all the cash in a separate safe. A whistleblower ratted them out and old man Stew Leonard took the fall for his kids and did time. The company is still going strong. I wonder how much they really socked away?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:54 PM   #7
newtothegame

Quote:
Point taken. Maybe a bit too much hyperbole on my part. Although, I did say probably, not definitely.

Google did get a 5 billion dollar anti-trust fine in Europe.

Microsoft got hit with a lot of anti-trust fines. I read where they paid a 1 billion fine in 2006 which amounted to one week's wages.

Amazon has been hit with fines for back taxes in Europe.

I think about how people come to the U.S. from foreign countries, buy gas stations with convenience stores, and then start building them into chains. Then one day they get busted for not paying taxes. It's easy to make money when you don't pay taxes. It's a lot harder when you follow the rules.

Remember when Stew Leonards Grocery Stores had a cash register that was not hooked up their computers. They just kept all the cash in a separate safe. A whistleblower ratted them out and old man Stew Leonard took the fall for his kids and did time. The company is still going strong. I wonder how much they really socked away?
I agree.....
And when you have money, you have more ways out of trouble. However, I would also suggest that money also invites the fox into the hen house (See Manafort). As Best I can tell from the first few days of his trial, Mueller and his cohorts want to talk about the "lavish" lifestyle.....
Point is money brings on more then us without money could possibly imagine....
governed.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
davew

Bezos pulls a Carlos Danger (and will cost him $70 B net worth)

https://theblemish.com/2019/01/jeff-...is-wifes-back/

The National Enquirer is making an illegal campaign donation again...
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
ultracapper

During the development period of Windows, Gates broke more contractor agreements than he kept with software programmers. You couldn't walk 2 blocks in Downtown Seattle without running into somebody Microsoft had stiffed. I worked at Nordstrom at the time, and there was an IT employee there who had freelanced with Microsoft and was stiffed for over $20K. Microsoft all but said to these guys "Come and get us".
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
During the development period of Windows, Gates broke more contractor agreements than he kept with software programmers. You couldn't walk 2 blocks in Downtown Seattle without running into somebody Microsoft had stiffed. I worked at Nordstrom at the time, and there was an IT employee there who had freelanced with Microsoft and was stiffed for over $20K. Microsoft all but said to these guys "Come and get us".
too bad they didn't get Microsoft shares

and explains why they need H2B workers

Last edited by davew; 01-20-2019 at 03:52 PM.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
thaskalos

Being the avid reader that I am...I have discovered that it's next to impossible for the rich to get to heaven. So...I'm not even a BIT envious of them.

https://biblehub.com/mark/10-25.htm
Old 01-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #12
chadk66

and how is Trump woven into this?
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #13
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
too bad they didn't get Microsoft shares

and explains why they need H2B workers
HA!! Microsoft and Amazon are both headquartered here. Maybe 1 out of 3 of all the workers at both places speak English as their primary language, temp workers or otherwise.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply