Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #16
ElKabong

Lone star park's simulcast pavilion
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
onefast99

Victory Bar at the Meadowlands and William Hill sports bar are packed with both horse players and sports wagering folk. Was in Victory Bar yesterday while it was pouring rain outside and people were out. Pace is right with the comment about people betting online from their own homes or workplace.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:00 PM   #18
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
A lot of those players went to OTB to socialize and bet. They weren't hardcore fans. If they were hardcore they already had an OTB phone account and didn't bother going to the OTB other than to make deposits and withdrawals like a bank branch. Yet many of those OTBs were stick packed and there were some big bettors going straight to the windows eating the surcharge.

I never understood the mindset of these patrons for so many years. I'd go to the OTB to watch some races, but when there I'd take out my cell phone & call in my bets & get track prices, or in the early years always knew where the closest pay phone was. I'd see all the people there still pushing $ through the windows & getting stuck with surcharge payouts & I couldn't comprehend why any one of them would do that considering the ease in opening a phone account.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #19
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
I never understood the mindset of these patrons for so many years. I'd go to the OTB to watch some races, but when there I'd take out my cell phone & call in my bets & get track prices, or in the early years always knew where the closest pay phone was. I'd see all the people there still pushing $ through the windows & getting stuck with surcharge payouts & I couldn't comprehend why any one of them would do that considering the ease in opening a phone account.
It was already explained in an earlier post that most people did not want to leave a paper trail of betting. Some of the older guys I hung out with at the OTB even had secret bank accounts or stashes of money just for gambling . They did this to keep it from their wives.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 08:03 AM   #20
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I may be wrong about this...but my opinion is that the vast majority of the bettors wager a lot less online than they would if they were at a "live" betting outlet. When you bet online, you are limited to the funds that you hold in your ADW account...and my guess is that the vast majority of the bettors would much rather carry that money in their pockets.
I would think it’s the opposite, because when you bet with cash you see the amounts dwindle or rise and your betting reflects that. Plus if you want to make additional bets, you have to get back on line again.

But with online betting the balance is just a number that goes up and down, and making an additional bet is as simple as a click of the mouse.

Kind of like the same mentality when you make a purchase with cash or credit/debit. One is more likely to spend more using a card, because you don’t actually see the money being spent. But if you see the money come straight out of your wallet, sometimes you’ll hold back on a certain purchase. I know I do, that’s why I prefer to carry cash. I spend less that way.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #21
River11
Murray KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
once betting from home became an option, what possible reason would exist for me to ever step foot into an OTB ever again?
Exactly, I used to tell the manager of the Simalcast (Blue Grass Downs) the time is coming when we will no longer need you and it did and haven't been back since the early 90's.
Of course there are those who enjoy the audience, however small while screaming at a TV monitor.

Last edited by River11; 11-28-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Typo
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #22
Afleet

Quote:
once betting from home became an option, what possible reason would exist for me to ever step foot into an OTB ever again?
no one tracking what you are doing, no paper trail?

I didnt see Thasks post

Last edited by Afleet; 11-28-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #23
SharpCat

Quote:
No real good reason for me to step foot in Ellis Park ever again. I've been there maybe 3 times this year to see a friend. Why in the world would I drive 30 minutes, pay $11 for a form, $2.50 for a program and pay to much for bad food just to bet this?

I can bet on TwinSpires from home, pay $60 a month for unlimited DRF programs, eat much better food that's cheaper and I can bet this. I can almost bet 24hrs everyday of the year except Christmas.

SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
In my experience, some of them were older and didn't even own a mobile phone. Others probably didn't want to have any money tied up in an account or any record of actually cashing big bets or IRS tickets. In some neighborhoods I think the cash they were betting was "ill gotten" if you know what I mean.

On the flip side, I knew a kid (in his early 20s) that used to play at several of the Queens OTBs regularly. He'd bet 1k-2k per race several times a day all in cash. One day he was complaining to me that all his horses were going off the favorite. I had to explain to him that when he bets those really small out of town tracks HE was making them the favorite.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-29-2018 at 09:37 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #25
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Lone star park's simulcast pavilion
I was last there in approx. 2000, is it still the same? I went on a Monday when Saratoga was running. I enjoyed it.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #26
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
In my experience, some of them were older and didn't even own a mobile phone. Others probably didn't want to have any money tied up in an account or any record of actually cashing big bets or IRS tickets. In some neighborhoods I think the cash they were betting was "ill gotten" if you know what I mean.

On the flip side, I knew a kid (in his early 20s) that used to play at several of the Queens OTBs regularly. He'd bet 1k-2k per race several times a day all in cash. One day he was complaining to me that all his horses were going off the favorite. I had to explain to him that when he bets those really small out of town tracks HE was making them the favorite.
There was once a guy at simulcast, reputedly a baker, who would bet 3 or 4K on 1/9 cinches and wave winning tickets in people's faces. He would actually RUN from person to person squealing : "I'm so happy for meeeeeeeeee.... soooooooo happy for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

I heard somewhere that he met his demise falling into a huge oven. For real. I wonder if they did the fork test before pulling him out.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #27
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
There was once a guy at simulcast, reputedly a baker, who would bet 3 or 4K on 1/9 cinches and wave winning tickets in people's faces. He would actually RUN from person to person squealing : "I'm so happy for meeeeeeeeee.... soooooooo happy for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

I heard somewhere that he met his demise falling into a huge oven. For real. I wonder if they did the fork test before pulling him out.
Talk about a job well done.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #28
chiguy

Quote:

I have tried the phone betting thing and to me it is just not a real race experience. Maybe because it is more of a hobby thing. I get no thrill from sitting at home and hitting an exacta. Hanging at the track or OTB with my friends is so much more of a good time. I also like to golf and I never understand those guys who set up a driving range in their garage.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #29
letswastemoney

I'll probably never use an OTB again, but all OTBs should be free. I remember the one by Pleasanton racetrack in California charges $5 just to get in.

If I'm paying $5 to get inside a betting facility for horse racing, I better be watching some actual live horses too. It's not worth it without that.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 PM   #30
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
I was last there in approx. 2000, is it still the same? I went on a Monday when Saratoga was running. I enjoyed it.
Very different. Some ways for the better.

Back then on Friday thru Sunday you had to pay to park (a line formed at 10am), stand in line to get in the pavilion. When the pavilion opened, stand in another line to pay for a carrel. You had to arrive early on those days to hope to get a carrel

Around 2002 or so they did away with parking fees

Now you get for free, carrels are still $3. The food is a lot better, not as much gouging. As nice as the place was, and still is, the original ownership did everything they could to piss off serious bettors and drive people away.

The current ownership is far better. Saturday's are still a packed house, but at least you can get a carrel any other day.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply