Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Australian racing

I don't play Australian racing. A man who does/did play them and wouldn't make things up told me to avoid it for at least a few months. I don't know what it's about. He didn't elaborate, but his word is good enough for me.

I don't understand the fascination with it anyway. I looked at it a few times. North America has its own separate pools for Australian racing, and they're less than $5k each.

Just a heads-up...
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
WP1981

Well I have hit 7 winners in 13 races tonight at Ararat, Saphire Coast and Warwick so far. Hope whatever it is that it stays the same.

I enjoy Aus racing much more than our domestic stuff anymore. The pools are fine for me except for when the drunk guy throws $200 on my drifting 25-1 shot. But hell, same thing happens to me at Santa Anita.
WP1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
caper

I like p4's. I'll tell you what I like about playing Australian p4's. If you are a smaller bettor you can hit the odd 2k+ p4 by taking a pool shot. Some tracks have a lot of big fields. If you can find some resources you can often find a single and some leads to some long shots. Last night I played 2 pick 4's. One for $7.2 which returned $129 and one I spent $36 and it wasn't hit, paid 3 of 4 so I had $54 four times for $216.

But how about this for a story. The night before I played a 60 cent p4 that I believe cost $28.8. There was an "absolute sure winner" in the third leg. I was trying to buy the ticket on my phone. My Iphone 4s kept crashing, it was driving me nuts. I managed to get my ticket in. This was my ticket.

PINJARRA, Race 3, $0.60 PK4 4,8-12 / 1,9 / 12 / 4-7

So my first winner hit's 9-1, second one hits 8-5 favorite. Now the third leg is the "sure winner", then I get to count my money. But I had made a mistake that I didn't notice until the next day. The "sure thing" the horse, who was 1/5 didn't do a god damned thing. NOTHING. I shut it down and go to bed. Wake up the next day and there is $almost $1200 in my account. I'm like WTF. It turns out I singled the instead of the in the 3rd leg. I have no idea now how this happened. The was 20-1. The favorite won the next race. The
caper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
WP1981

Looking over the cards tonight I noticed the 9th at Flemington is a 150k stakes sponsored by NYRA.

Welcoming these cards since I played Cheltenham this morning. How barbaric some of these long jump races become. No less than 2 euthanized on course in the finale. Due to the camera angles you cant help but watch them attempt to get up to no avail. Gut wrenching sight.

I follow along on twitter and was on North Hill Harvey, one of the unfortunate ones that race. Looked 100% a winner before falling 3 out very badly. The many tweets of "I hope you take a bullet shortly you nag" and "I hope you are part of a Tesco burger tomorrow" are rather tasteless and not something you see on this side of the pond.

Last edited by WP1981; 03-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete View Post
I don't play Australian racing. A man who does/did play them and wouldn't make things up told me to avoid it for at least a few months. I don't know what it's about. He didn't elaborate, but his word is good enough for me.

I don't understand the fascination with it anyway. I looked at it a few times. North America has its own separate pools for Australian racing, and they're less than $5k each.

Just a heads-up...
maybe he had a bad dream!

the thing i hate about australian racing, or more specifically the state i live in, victoria, is that crooks seem to be able to flourish with near impunity.

maybe he was referring to robert smerdon the trainer and the company he was part of 'aquanita racing'.

my guess is that the enquiry will drag on for years and he will get a smack on the wrist, despite all the damning evidence against him and others.

that seems to be par for the course in victoria these last few years.

my perception is that the joint is run by crooks for crooks.
that is just my take though, and not necessarily correct.

i have not bet horses in my home state for more that 20 years, even when i was still betting elsewhere.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #6
WP1981

Hi Steveb,

I play nightly and have always wondered why a couple tracks (I know Caulfield is one) is shown as a standalone and not included in the A-B-C-D lineup. Hopefully you know what I mean about the way they are presented here in the states. I play offshore and have yet to see any of them carry the standalone tracks like TVG does. I can only sit and drool at the massive fields.

I always assumed Caulfield ran under a different jurisdiction or something.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:19 AM   #7
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1981 View Post
Hi Steveb,

I play nightly and have always wondered why a couple tracks (I know Caulfield is one) is shown as a standalone and not included in the A-B-C-D lineup. Hopefully you know what I mean about the way they are presented here in the states. I play offshore and have yet to see any of them carry the standalone tracks like TVG does. I can only sit and drool at the massive fields.

I always assumed Caulfield ran under a different jurisdiction or something.
i don't follow the place and don't know how betting in australia works from your country.
caulfied though is probably the second major metropolitan track here behind flemington which holds the melbourne cup.
there are four metro tracks in melbourne victoria.
flemington
caulfied
sandown
moonee valley.

why they are standalone, might have something to do with them having to give permision to be shown alongside races in other states, but i am only guessing.

the boss of melbourne racing(which is the club that races at caulfied), was also a director of aquanita racing, and i am told is a huge gambler.
why he is not part of the enquiry into aquanita and its major trainer that have been rigging hundreds of races by giving illegal treatments, is somewhat eye opening.
another reason why i reckon victorian racing is corrupt.

australian racing is very fragmented especially victoria and nsw, where they are always trying to get one up on each other.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: