Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-08-2021, 05:02 AM   #1
Half Smoke

Probiotics

the supplement industry is huge

most supplements are worthless - snake oil type stuff

but there are exceptions

probiotics are one of the exceptions

before using any supplement I always check with N.I.H. which is one of the most respected medical organizations in the world

N.I.H. gives most supplements a thumbs down

but they give probiotics a thumbs up with a few minor qualifications

I take them, and they've been helpful to me with digestive issues

https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/pro...u-need-to-know

Old 06-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Thank you. I will look into it.

I take this stuff seriously but rarely add anything to my list.

For the last 4 months I have been megadosing vitamin B12 (sub-lingually). Was just shocked to find out what it could do.

Walked into my dermatologist and she said, "What happened to your eczema?" It is about 10% of what it was!

But the biggest thing is energy.

It is like an energy drink to me. (Something I'd never drink.)

I also need to sleep 1.5 hrs less per night!
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
lamboguy

when it comes to taking any type of pills, except for an antibiotic, i take a Pasadena. there ain't nothing good for your body in those pills.. what I do is get my neck adjusted by a chiropractor once a month now. it got rid of my hip. knee and back pain better than any pill could.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
oughtoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Thank you. I will look into it.

I take this stuff seriously but rarely add anything to my list.

For the last 4 months I have been megadosing vitamin B12 (sub-lingually). Was just shocked to find out what it could do.

Walked into my dermatologist and she said, "What happened to your eczema?" It is about 10% of what it was!

But the biggest thing is energy.

It is like an energy drink to me. (Something I'd never drink.)

I also need to sleep 1.5 hrs less per night!
Then I would only have to sleep 2-2.5 hours a night.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
when it comes to taking any type of pills, except for an antibiotic, i take a Pasadena. there ain't nothing good for your body in those pills.. what I do is get my neck adjusted by a chiropractor once a month now. it got rid of my hip. knee and back pain better than any pill could.

So if you are deficient in a nutrient you believe that supplementing would not be beneficial?
Old 06-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
So if you are deficient in a nutrient you believe that supplementing would not be beneficial?
I guess that would be correct from a personal standpoint. I was told that I was deficient in vitamin D, instead of taking vitamin D I make sure I go outside and get sun. some people are deficient in calcium, that can be because someone doesn't drink milk... they can eat salmon or other fish to make up for that.

what I am trying to say is that there are other alternatives to help your body other than pills.

one thing I like in medicine is getting tested for different things and getting body scans.. in a body scan you can sometimes catch a cancerous tumor in the early stages and have it removed. I had a friend that caught kidney cancer and had the bad kidney removed and he originally found it with a body scan that suggested something was wrong.. they did a biopsy and found it early.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #7
delfman

Kombucha is the way i go

for probiotics

I buy the big bottles of GTS trilogy
delfman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
thaskalos

Quote:
The jury is still out on the effectiveness of orally administered supplements. Some "experts" say that they are worthless...while others say that they are only effective when taken intravenously. I, personally, feel that a sound diet is the best way to go.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #9
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The jury is still out on the effectiveness of orally administered supplements. Some "experts" say that they are worthless...while others say that they are only effective when taken intravenously. I, personally, feel that a sound diet is the best way to go.

There is plenty of evidence of both the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of orally administered supplements. In a perfect world a sound diet would be the best way to go. The problem is with the nutrient value of the food supply. Add the toxic exposure that exists in our day-to-day lives which requires additional nutrients to prevent illness.

I never take supplements indiscriminately. I test for deficiencies and toxic overloads and proceed from there.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
I guess that would be correct from a personal standpoint. I was told that I was deficient in vitamin D, instead of taking vitamin D I make sure I go outside and get sun. some people are deficient in calcium, that can be because someone doesn't drink milk... they can eat salmon or other fish to make up for that.

what I am trying to say is that there are other alternatives to help your body other than pills.

one thing I like in medicine is getting tested for different things and getting body scans.. in a body scan you can sometimes catch a cancerous tumor in the early stages and have it removed. I had a friend that caught kidney cancer and had the bad kidney removed and he originally found it with a body scan that suggested something was wrong.. they did a biopsy and found it early.

We have similar philosophies. I will always seek a natural solution first. Vitamin D is a great example. I really don't want to be taking a hormone supplement (vitamin D is a hormone) when getting adequate sun exposure works great.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence of both the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of orally administered supplements. In a perfect world a sound diet would be the best way to go. The problem is with the nutrient value of the food supply. Add the toxic exposure that exists in our day-to-day lives which requires additional nutrients to prevent illness.

I never take supplements indiscriminately. I test for deficiencies and toxic overloads and proceed from there.
I went through some serious health issues many years ago...and this taught me a lot about the advantages of a sound diet. I don't care about how "imperfect" our world is; there is a "perfect diet" out there for each one of us...and it behooves us to go out and find it.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #12
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I went through some serious health issues many years ago...and this taught me a lot about the advantages of a sound diet. I don't care about how "imperfect" our world is; there is a "perfect diet" out there for each one of us...and it behooves us to go out and find it.

So how often do you check your metabolites and toxin levels to know that you have the perfect diet for you? How does stress affect your dietary choices?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
thaskalos

I have a body scan once a year...and complete blood work done twice a year. My energy level is through the roof...and I am stronger at 59.5 years old than I've ever been. My physician, who is at least 50 pounds overweight, calls me a "physical marvel"...without knowing of the dietary and exercise choices that I make in order to stay like I am. But I feel so good that I would never jeopardize my current well-being for the sake of eating all the junkfood that I see everybody around me eating.

STRESS? What possible stress could have me alter my eating habits? IMO...stress is a matter of personal philosophy...and our dietary choices shouldn't be affected by it.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I really...really...really...REALLY want to believe that is really you in your avatar....but alas...
Old 06-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I really...really...really...REALLY want to believe that is really you in your avatar....but alas...
The man in my avatar is George Ivanovich Gurdjieff, a Greek-Armenian philosopher who died in the year 1949. I chose him because his philosophy has meant a great deal to me.