Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
BigJake

Can SS win the Preakness?

Is SS good enough to win the next one. I went on record at the derby party I was at, and said no way. There is no way he will get the same type of trip
What do y'all think. Is this not going to be one of the best betting opportunities in the Preakness? Maybe I was a little tipsy and saw it wrong.

BigJake
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
garyoz

Pimlico is not kind to closers, especially those susceptible to a bounce. He will be an underlay for sure.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Best horses generally win the big races. The best horses that look to be in this race all went in the Derby. Therefore you must expect "bounces" from each of them if you think SS can bounce because Hard Spun and Curlin both had quite a bit of work they had to do. Curlin I would expect to be most likely to beat him because all the new faces aren't in the league of the top 3 and Hard Spun may well get caught up in a way too fast pace. Curlin doesn't run back in this one, then would almost say SS an overlay at any price. This is why I said earlier they should just let SS have this one and come back fresh for the Belmont, but I do understand why Hard Spun's connection want to go at Pimlico being their home ground.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
joeyreb
joeyreb

depends if the other jockeys are dumb enough to give Borel & SS another dream trip down the rail??
joeyreb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

I wish I had some real clever longshot in this race---but I fully expect the three favorites to make up the trifecta.

I'm putting Street Sense underneath both HS and Curlin in all exotics. SS has had more perfect trip wins than a horse with his style typically gets away with over the course of an entire career. He can win---but, he will be by far the biggest underlay of the three contenders/chalks.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
the_fat_man
Veteran

Oh NO

Not the DREADED BOUNCE!!!!!
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Who said anything about a bounce?

Street Sense didn't run any better in the Derby than he did in the two other outings where he got a pace setup/dream rail run.

I know you pride yourself on watching replays TFM---do me a favor and go back and watch all of Street Sense's races when he tries circle horses. Note, the bad habits he displays...and note how much less of a world beater he appears.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
BeatTheChalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
Oh NO

Not the DREADED BOUNCE!!!!!
Oh nothing really ..I just wanted to see the guy banging his head into
the wall .. again
Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
the_fat_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugSalvastore
Who said anything about a bounce?

Street Sense didn't run any better in the Derby than he did in the two other outings where he got a pace setup/dream rail run.

I know you pride yourself on watching replays TFM---do me a favor and go back and watch all of Street Sense's races when he tries circle horses. Note, the bad habits he displays...and note how much less of a world beater he appears.
DrugS

as usual you state the obvious

my comments are meant to mock the use of a (senseless) catch phrase
that's now firmly entrenched within the vocabulary of all horseplayers

I don't need to watch to SS's races. I already know and have commented on the fact that he's a one run horse that needs everything his own way to win. In the Tampa Bay race, he gets the garden inside trip and HANGS. In the Lane's End, at Keeneland, where he actually had to put in a wide move (albeit premature) he fizzled out, like any other horse would. To his credit he's a super athletic horse and has the services of a smart, risk-taking jock. But he's NOT gonna give you a sustained run. (Not against top quality horses, anyway.) He needs HELP to win.

What's shocking to me is all the in-the-know types coming out of the woodwork and lauding him as a super horse. He's not getting the Moses trip in the Preakness or Belmont.

Let's face it, relatively equal trip and he and Curlin turn for home together: CURLIN BURIES HIM!!!

Last edited by the_fat_man; 05-11-2007 at 01:37 PM.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
bellsbendboy
Veteran

Street Sense was super horse well before the Derby and those around the horse knew it! Good cappers can read between the past performances, most of SS's detractors apparently do not posess that skill. He will WIN the Preakness by open lengths. BBB
bellsbendboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsbendboy
Street Sense was super horse well before the Derby and those around the horse knew it! Good cappers can read between the past performances, most of SS's detractors apparently do not posess that skill. He will WIN the Preakness by open lengths. BBB
BBB:

When talking about the Preakness, shouldn't you sign off as "Bee Bee Bee", instead?
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Gibbon
DC posts & not banned?

Thorograph sheets post derby figs:
http://www.thorograph.com/phorum/rea...5053#msg-35053
click on the PDF file. deep links are forbidden at this website.

DRF PP's post derby figs and Preakness probables;
http://drf.com/tc/preakness/2007/pps/contenders_pps.pdf

Ragozin sheets post derby figs:
http://www.thesheets.com/derby07.html

Beyer and Thorograph has the derby final time as fast. SS ran back to his BC fig.

Rags has the derby as SLOW.

If any one horse looks like a bounce as defined by the sheets - Hard Spun fits this definition!!
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #13
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake
Is SS good enough to win the next one. I went on record at the derby party I was at, and said no way. There is no way he will get the same type of trip.
I don't think Street Sense will move forward, and am a big supporter of Chelokee.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
Overlay

Just as an update, a post in the "More Rare than the Triple Crown" thread over on the Triple Crown Trail board indicates that Chelokee will not be running in the Preakness. (Possibly aiming for the Barbaro instead.)

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=36454

Last edited by Overlay; 05-12-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #15
pressman
Veteran

NO
NOT HArd Spun
NOT Curlin

Look out for Xchanger
pressman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply