Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

My Thoughts on GP

A while back I was asked by a member on my houghts on GP. I didnt answer as the meet was still running and I was racing there.My review is strickly my opinion.I am not happy with the way they treat you about claiming horses,Even the bottom claimer which runs for $6250.00 isnt chump change for the average guy. You are not allowed around the holding barn,Nor are you allowed to be near a horse where they give the groom the number for the horse. The only place you are allowed to look hard is when they cross the track to go to the holding barn,Its so bad that LOTS of trainers hide in the enclosed saddleing area until the time limit for the claim is up.NOT FAIR. When you buy a car,You are allowed to look it over very well,Just like anything else you want to buy. There were a lot of broken down horses claimed this meet and I blame not being able to see what you are buying on a lot of these.
The other things that concern me is the free acess anyone has to get into the backside,They have some jerk at the stable gate who acts like Col. Klink but on the other hand all one has to do is walk 300 feet to several open gates with no one watching as you go on the backside.The recieving barn is a joke as there are people doing things to horses that shouldnt be.They have a jerk who drives around on a golfcart insulting people on the rats they claim but on the other hand these rats give him business. They rush you out as fast as they can.6k claimers having to run 1 tick off the track record.As far as I am concerned the track is way to hard and fast.I did lose a horse myself as he broke down and I found him a home.They have several 3 foot hoses to wash your horses after the race and along the walk back from the race they have several 50 foot hoses "tied" to the rail incase you have a horse with heat stroke.Doesnt make sense.I also dont think the purses are the greatest.I will take the friendly Calder backside where I was given 9 stalls this year.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Good luck to you at Crc Tom. Sounds like a typical Magna operation at GP.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Best of luck Tom. If you happen to be in the Saratoga Springs area the 2nd week in August (either shipping or taking a well deserved break ) give us a heads up and stop by.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Kelso
Veteran

This year ... and next.

Tom,
Are the poor conditions you described new for GP, or have you experienced them in prior meets there? Are you considering Tampa, instead, for next winter?

Thank you.

Last edited by Kelso; 04-24-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
kenwoodallpromos

GP Meet- At a Glances

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...cle.cgi?id=331

Last edited by BillW; 04-25-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Copyrighted material
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

kenwood,

what in the world does that have to do with what Tom posted?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
kenwood,

I agree. I don't see the connection myself either.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...0a.hmedium.jpg
Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
kenwoodallpromos

Quoting Toim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
kenwood,

____
"As far as I am concerned the track is way to hard and fast.I did lose a horse myself as he broke down and I found him a home."
I'm just agreeing with Tom on that 1 aspect of his post.

Last edited by BillW; 04-25-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Do not post copyrighted material!!!
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
john del riccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
A while back I was asked by a member on my houghts on GP. I didnt answer as the meet was still running and I was racing there.My review is strickly my opinion.I am not happy with the way they treat you about claiming horses,Even the bottom claimer which runs for $6250.00 isnt chump change for the average guy. You are not allowed around the holding barn,Nor are you allowed to be near a horse where they give the groom the number for the horse. The only place you are allowed to look hard is when they cross the track to go to the holding barn,Its so bad that LOTS of trainers hide in the enclosed saddleing area until the time limit for the claim is up.NOT FAIR. When you buy a car,You are allowed to look it over very well,Just like anything else you want to buy. There were a lot of broken down horses claimed this meet and I blame not being able to see what you are buying on a lot of these.
The other things that concern me is the free acess anyone has to get into the backside,They have some jerk at the stable gate who acts like Col. Klink but on the other hand all one has to do is walk 300 feet to several open gates with no one watching as you go on the backside.The recieving barn is a joke as there are people doing things to horses that shouldnt be.They have a jerk who drives around on a golfcart insulting people on the rats they claim but on the other hand these rats give him business. They rush you out as fast as they can.6k claimers having to run 1 tick off the track record.As far as I am concerned the track is way to hard and fast.I did lose a horse myself as he broke down and I found him a home.They have several 3 foot hoses to wash your horses after the race and along the walk back from the race they have several 50 foot hoses "tied" to the rail incase you have a horse with heat stroke.Doesnt make sense.I also dont think the purses are the greatest.I will take the friendly Calder backside where I was given 9 stalls this year.
Several years ago, I had a similar experience at GP. I sent two very sound horses down to GP and when they came back to MTH both were not right. The track was pretty bad. I also got a few insane vet bills from down there where I called and questioned the treatments only to be told my horse
"needed" the treatment. The racing office was a joke, asking them to put up a race for you was like asking for a "favor".

Beleive it or not, SAR has become a similiar playground for broken down claimers that people wantto lose. The fact that you can't look at them up close at GP means you need to take accurate notrs the day they run and pull up. Yet another reason I have backed off the claiming game. Horses aren't given time to recover from the wars, they are shot up, and sent back out there. Thats why its called liars poker.

JOhn
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Tom, you're a class act and I wish you the best. ice of you to find a home for the hurt horse. Says a lot about you.
Really hope you can get up to Toga......beer's on me if you do.
(Come to think of it, the beer was on me last year too. All over me!)
Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
alysheba88
Veteran

What about the way they treat the horseplayer? Would love to hear comments about that. But not expecting it
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
jma

Haven't there been numerous threads about how Gulfstream treats the horseplayer, with some saying good (Karl) and some saying bad (everyone else)? Anyway, to McShell---best of luck to you and your horses at Calder.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
alysheba88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma
Haven't there been numerous threads about how Gulfstream treats the horseplayer, with some saying good (Karl) and some saying bad (everyone else)? Anyway, to McShell---best of luck to you and your horses at Calder.
I guess what I am saying is many of the "horse guys" have been fully supportive of Magna, no matter how much they screw the horseplayer. But when it hits closer to home then its another story. But not to be unexpected, most involved, from track management to player to trainer only care about their own interests.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba88
I guess what I am saying is many of the "horse guys" have been fully supportive of Magna, no matter how much they screw the horseplayer. But when it hits closer to home then its another story. But not to be unexpected, most involved, from track management to player to trainer only care about their own interests.

To be honest I think this is a bit unfair. I know a number of " horsemen " who have shared with me the same negative thoughts about Gulfstream, in regards to its being fan unfriendly, as have prevailed around here. Obviously " horsemen " have some different personal interests at a racetrack than most of us do but I think you would be surprised how many of them are horseplayer friendly. No, not all of them, but more than I originally believed.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
alysheba88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
To be honest I think this is a bit unfair. I know a number of " horsemen " who have shared with me the same negative thoughts about Gulfstream, in regards to its being fan unfriendly, as have prevailed around here. Obviously " horsemen " have some different personal interests at a racetrack than most of us do but I think you would be surprised how many of them are horseplayer friendly. No, not all of them, but more than I originally believed.
Good to hear. Was talking more about some of the posts I have seen on this and other forums, but again good to hear. They need to realize we are all in this together. Too many look at players with disdain and contempt