Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
grandstander21

The widespread scramble for race callers

Ever since Tim Durkin has retired, there has been a massive nationwide shift in race caller from track to track. Now, I may be exaggerating this, but it's just my perspective. Let's look at what happened since his retirement.

1. Once Durkin retired, NYRA substitute race caller John Imbriale stepped up to call the remainder of the 2014 Saratoga race meet as well as Belmont's Fall Championship meet and Aqueduct's Fall/Winter meet. Later, it was announced that Larry Collmus has been named the new voice of the NYRA tracks. He started in April of this year.

2. In April 2014, Larry Collmus was also the temporary race caller for Churchill Downs and was only there for a year. He replaced British race caller Mark Johnson for unknown reasons. After the year contract, Travis Stone, the original voice of Louisiana Downs, was named the new announcer of Churchill in 2015.

3. In addition to Churchill, Stone also served as the temporary voice of Monmouth Park in 2014 due to the absence of Collmus. With him now being at Churchill, Stone has been replaced by Frank Miramahdi.

4. Dan Louiselle, Woodbine's former race caller, recently retired in early 2015. It was announced that his successor would be Robert Geller, the Australian and original race caller for Emerald Downs.

5. Trevor Denman, the long time voice of Santa Anita, has retired from the track. However, he still continues to serve as the voice of Del Mar. The aforementioned Frank Miramahdi has taken his place.

There have been many race callers migrating for track to track in the past 2 years. It's so bizarre. I was unhappy with some of the choices, but what do you guys think?

Last edited by Track Collector; 01-27-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Name spelling correction
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Mr. Chubby

Race calling tends to be a pretty migratory position as a whole. If you look at the resume of most any racecaller you'll often find more than a stop or two (or 5) along the way. I think that lengthy runs for Durkin, Denman, Loiselle, and Wallace all concluding within 18 months is really the aberration here.

As far as not being happy with some of the choices ... well this could devolve into the "worst announcer thread" pretty quickly. However, I am very happy that the recent moves have allowed young callers like Travis Stone and Pete Aiello to land jobs on major circuits and new blood like Matt Dinerman and Paul Martinez into full-time gigs also.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstander21
Ever since Tim Durkin has retired, there has been a massive nationwide shift in race caller from track to track. Now, I may be exaggerating this, but it's just my perspective. Let's look at what happened since his retirement.

1. Once Durkin retired, NYRA substitute race caller John Imbriale stepped up to call the remainder of the 2014 Saratoga race meet as well as Belmont's Fall Championship meet and Aqueduct's Fall/Winter meet. Later, it was announced that Larry Collmus has been named the new voice of the NYRA tracks. He started in April of this year.

2. In April 2014, Larry Collmus was also the temporary race caller for Churchill Downs and was only there for a year. He replaced British race caller Mark Johnson for unknown reasons. After the year contract, Travis Stone, the original voice of Louisiana Downs, was named the new announcer of Churchill in 2015.

3. In addition to Churchill, Stone also served as the temporary voice of Monmouth Park in 2014 due to the absence of Collmus. With him now being at Churchill, Stone has been replaced by Frank Miramahdi.

4. Dan Louiselle, Woodbine's former race caller, recently retired in early 2015. It was announced that his successor would be Robert Geller, the Australian and original race caller for Emerald Downs.

5. Trevor Denman, the long time voice of Santa Anita, has retired from the track. However, he still continues to serve as the voice of Del Mar. The aforementioned Frank Miramahdi has taken his place.

There have been many race callers migrating for track to track in the past 2 years. It's so bizarre. I was unhappy with some of the choices, but what do you guys think?
People are going to be super excited to hear Trevor at DMR.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
grandstander21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chubby
As far as not being happy with some of the choices ... well this could devolve into the "worst announcer thread" pretty quickly.
The only choices I was unhappy with were Frank Miramahdi at Monmouth and Travis Stone at Churchill.

I didn't think Miramahdi was the right choice for Monmouth. IMO I think he's more of a West coast race caller than an East coast one. In fact, because he grew up in California, he was influenced by Denman's calls as a kid.

Travis Stone should have stayed at Monmouth. He was doing a great job there. Plus, I have no idea why Mark Johnson was let go from Churchill. He was pretty good to me.

Last edited by grandstander21; 01-27-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
ebcorde
Veteran

Bring back that Mark Johnston guy

who at Churchill. That guy called a 5k claimer like it was the thriller from Manila
Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
who at Churchill. That guy called a 5k claimer like it was the thriller from Manila
Read post 45 in the 'which announcers overcall a cheap race ' thread.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Read post 45 in the 'which announcers overcall a cheap race ' thread.
I will. try.

once you're used to a race caller, that's it.

I have noticed Wrona sounds a little more exciting at SA than he did at MNR.

is Wrona the full-time race caller or is this some kind of test?
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
Mandrake
Veteran

Let's not forget salary. Many of the moves might not only be for unselfish reasons. I think Imbreale is solid as they come. I heard he is a real family guy and likes his gig the way it is.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
azeri98

Quote:
Agree way too loud and hyper for every race.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
azeri98

I miss Loiselle at Woodbine. I don't like Geller, maybe I just have to get used to him.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98
I miss Loiselle at Woodbine. I don't like Geller, maybe I just have to get used to him.
Funny you say that. After Tom Durkin, Geller is my 2nd favorite announcer. Took me awhile to adjust to the accent but he is SHARP, exciting and SPOT ON.

I MISS HIM AT EMD.

On another note, hate to bash but I really miss Jballscalls at Portland.

His replacement shouldn't be allowed to speak on a telephone, never mind a racetrack. He sounds as if he has both of his fingers attached to his nostrils, squeezing for dear life in an attempt to sound like a congested operator from 1942.

No offense but you couldn't sound worse than him. Gunder sounds awesome compared to him. He is the first and I mean the FIRST announcer EVER in my 35 years of loving this game, who has forced me to mute a race.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #12
rrpic6

Quote:
I will. try.

once you're used to a race caller, that's it.

I have noticed Wrona sounds a little more exciting at SA than he did at MNR.

is Wrona the full-time race caller or is this some kind of test?
Wrona calls at Golden Gate not The Mountain. That's Peter Berry. Peter is spending the Winter at lovely Buffalo Raceway calling buggies.

RR
Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
Mandrake
Veteran

Dooley has to have the best gig. Chicago in the summer and New Orleans in the winter. He must have pictures.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
HalvOnHorseracing

The reason Denman was such a great caller was because he could give you what was happening in the race. He was more than just a "gap of two" guy. He would tell you which horse was moving well, which was struggling. Denman was masterful at reading a horse, and he could see horses on the turn that were going to be factors at the end. The first announcer in my racing career was Fred Capossela, and in NY he was as revered as Durkin. But as I heard some of the modern announcers I realized Capossela mostly limited himself to running position and lengths ahead/behind. Listen to Capossela call Jaipur and Ridan in the Travers and then imagine what Durkin or Denman would have done. Durkin and Denman were both extraordinary about pronunciation, and the best race callers are also clear speakers, and doing that and keeping a rhythm is extremely difficult. Collmus has the same skill set as the great announcers. Travis Stone deserves to see his star rise. John Imbriale has an obvious New York accent which may make him the best fit at NYRA, but he is a competent caller. If I'm going to favor an announcer, it is someone who has great diction without overpronouncing, a good vocal tone, great modulation, accurate description of positions, an idea of which is moving well and which is struggling, good catch phrases that fit the situation (moving like a winner) without sounding contrived, an ego where they know the horses are the show - not them, and the right dose of excitement. The great ones rise to the top because they do those things and sound perfectly natural when they do.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6
That's Peter Berry. Peter is spending the Winter at lovely Buffalo Raceway calling buggies.

RR

Caught a few of his races the other night. He's doing a great job up there.
Closed Thread